Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels (/thread-65.html)

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 01-07-2013 05:54 PM

(01-07-2013 05:47 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  You right about that. We actually didn't get a color set until 1965 or so. I remember watching the first season of Star Trek-which was in color.

And I remember watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E in color!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Jim Page - 01-07-2013 07:55 PM

(01-07-2013 05:54 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  And I remember watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E in color!

Ah, The Man from U.N.C.L.E!!! Now, THAT was a show I loved. Never cared for Star Trek, but I had every paperback, comic book and pulp monthly that came out for The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I'll never forget Christmas of 1965 when I got a model kit for the new Olds Toronado, a bottle of Hai Karate aftershave, and . . . The Man from U.N.C.L.E multi-attachment pistol toy that came in a black-plastic attache case.

Oh, I was the most mysterious and sweet-smelling 13-year-old in Marathon, Florida, that Christmas!!! They're probably still wondering who that skinny kid in the London Fog trenchcoat was down there!!!

--Jim

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 01-07-2013 08:04 PM

(01-07-2013 07:55 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 05:54 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  And I remember watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E in color!

Ah, The Man from U.N.C.L.E!!! Now, THAT was a show I loved. Never cared for Star Trek, but I had every paperback, comic book and pulp monthly that came out for The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I'll never forget Christmas of 1966 when I got a model kit for the new Olds Toronado, a bottle of Hai Karate aftershave, and . . . The Man from U.N.C.L.E multi-attachment pistol toy that came in a black-plastic attache case.

Oh, I was the most mysterious and sweet-smelling 14-year-old in Marathon, Florida, that Christmas!!! They're probably still wondering who that skinny kid in the London Fog trenchcoat was down there!!!

--Jim

Anybody remember (without looking it up) the names of the two actors and who they played?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Rogerm - 01-07-2013 08:12 PM

Robert Vaughn play Napoleon Solo. But, I have forgotten the name of the other guy.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Jim Page - 01-07-2013 08:34 PM

(01-07-2013 08:04 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Anybody remember (without looking it up) the names of the two actors and who they played?

I won't respond because it wouldn't be fair!!!

Here's another stumper: Can anyone remember the numbers agent Solo and "the other guy" had on their triangular yellow ID badges?!?!?

Also, for those who might have thought that this TV show was a rip-off of James Bond, I read somewhere that the initial concept and character names were developed by Ian Fleming.

--Jim

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 01-07-2013 08:35 PM

(01-07-2013 08:12 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  Robert Vaughn play Napoleon Solo. But, I have forgotten the name of the other guy.

That's correct, Roger. The other guy was played by David McCallum. I think he played a Russian.

(01-07-2013 08:34 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 08:04 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Anybody remember (without looking it up) the names of the two actors and who they played?

I won't respond because it wouldn't be fair!!!

Here's another stumper: Can anyone remember the numbers agent Solo and "the other guy" had on their triangular yellow ID badges?!?!?

--Jim

Why wouldn't it be fair, Jim? If you remember it, that is fine. I know McCallum's character's name, but I can't remember how to spell it.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Jim Page - 01-07-2013 09:06 PM

(01-07-2013 08:35 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Why wouldn't it be fair, Jim? If you remember it, that is fine. I know McCallum's character's name, but I can't remember how to spell it.

Okay! I won't swear my spelling is correct either, but the McCallum character was named Ilya Kuryakin. McCallum's wife, Jill Ireland, was often on the show, too.

And, of course, The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. was Stephanie Powers!

--Jim

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Linda Anderson - 01-07-2013 09:23 PM

(01-07-2013 09:06 PM)Jim Page Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 08:35 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Why wouldn't it be fair, Jim? If you remember it, that is fine. I know McCallum's character's name, but I can't remember how to spell it.

Okay! I won't swear my spelling is correct either, but the McCallum character was named Ilya Kuryakin. McCallum's wife, Jill Ireland, was often on the show, too.

And, of course, The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. was Stephanie Powers!

--Jim

Right! I looked it up and it's spelled Illya Kuryakin. I forgot McCallum was married to Jill Ireland and I also forgot about the Girl from U.N.C.L.E with one of my favorite actresses.

Someone else will have to guess the ID badge numbers. For some reason I'm thinking it's 66.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Gene C - 01-08-2013 09:13 AM

(01-07-2013 09:23 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  Someone else will have to guess the ID badge numbers. For some reason I'm thinking it's 66.

Maybe your thinking of Route 66 which starred Martin Milner who was also in One Adam Twelve. Speaking of Spies, there was Maxwell Smart, agent 86 and Barbara Feldon agent 99. Then there was Car 54 Where Are You with Fred Guin and Al Lewis who were also in the Munsters. Is this all part of some secret cold war code that Senater McCarthy missed? Now the truth can be known

It all began with the discovery of John Wilkes Booth secret cipher code wheel that was found in his trunk. and the hidden confederate gold that mysteriously dissapeared in 1865.

Find out all about it in the new book, "Wacko Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy Theories for Dummies". Order now, at the pre-publicaton price of only $13, or buy two copies for $30. Learn all about the hidden Booth family secret of David George, who was a cross dresser and who was really John Wilkes Booth's mummy. Read about one of the conspiracy masterminds, a little known confederate blockade runner from Baltimore, Arnold Samuels, who manages to misdirect the authorities into arresting Sam Arnold. Learn how Dr. Mudd was not sent to the Dry Tortugas prison, but was blackmailing Stanton and Holt and in return was bribed with an all expenses paid vacatin beach front resort in in Key West untill uncovered by President Johnson. Yes, it wasn't just tobacco they were smoking in Garrett's barn, learn the real reason it was burned to the ground. Learn the complicated truth behind the connection of Booth's oil well investments and General Lew Wallace's trip's to Jerusalem and the arab oil region.

The first edition will has a limited publishing run. This will soon become a collectors item so order now. If you have any wacko ideas for the second addition, we loved to hear from you at somepeoplewillbuyanything.com There's more to come!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 01-08-2013 09:25 AM

I sure hope there is information in the book about Mrs. Surratt being the one who held Booth's horse in the alley. That's what Mr. Wally said happened.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - BettyO - 01-08-2013 10:09 AM

And don't forget that Lewis Powell and Lewis Paine were TWO different people - one good and one evil! And Lewis Powell's one eyed nag which miraculously changed from a neutered gelding back into a full stallion as Powell rode away from Seward's house! Now, there is SOME sort of definite conspiracy there!

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Laurie Verge - 01-08-2013 11:20 AM

I think my whole decades of the 1960s and 70s just flashed before my eyes! You guys are wonderful.

Gene, I especially like your take-off on the Wacko...Theories for Dummies. Reminds me of some ads I've seen.

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Jim Page - 01-08-2013 07:24 PM

Gene's little piece for some reason made me think of Cheech and Chong being in the Garrett tobacco barn!

As for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. ID badge numbers, Napolean's was 11, Illya's was 2, and Mr. Waverley's was 1.

--Jim

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 01-08-2013 08:41 PM

Didn't Jill Ireland later marry Charles Bronson?

RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - LincolnMan - 01-12-2013 09:47 AM

Confederate Henry Wirz was one of two who were executed for war crimes. Who was the other one?