Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln's non pardon - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln's non pardon (/thread-645.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lincoln's non pardon - JMadonna - 01-29-2013 07:26 PM

I've been reimmersing myself in the John Yates Beall case. Does anyone know why members of Congress signed a petition to spare his life? What was the political reasoning behind this petition?

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - RJNorton - 01-30-2013 05:58 AM

Jerry, I do not know the answer, but there is a strange story that Booth was in love with Beall's sister, Lily, and that Beall and Booth had been fraternity brothers. Some accounts even having Booth gaining entrance to the White House, actually meeting with Lincoln (putting his arms around Lincoln's legs and crying), and begging for Beall's life. If anyone has ever found actual documentation for this, please post! Thanks.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - JMadonna - 01-30-2013 09:27 AM

Roger, The only connection I can find between Booth and Beall was that both witnessed the execution of John Brown.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - Laurie Verge - 01-30-2013 11:15 AM

I have not studied the Beall story in depth, but from what I have seen, Jerry, your connection is correct. I know that Dr. Richard Mudd put a lot of emphasis on the Beall/Booth relationship and gave a talk before the Surratt Society in our early years on the subject. We did a synopsis of that talk in the Courier shortly thereafter. I'll dig it up and see what he said. I do remember that Hall, Brennan, and others put little stock into what was said.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - Hess1865 - 01-30-2013 10:38 PM

That story about Booth meeting Lincoln and begging for Beall's is a proven crock

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - RJNorton - 01-31-2013 05:59 AM

Thanks, Mr. Hess. That is what I thought. Any idea how it originated?

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - JMadonna - 02-25-2013 06:54 PM

Beall was the longtime childhood friend of General Edwin Grey Lee who spent a large amount of money and political clout to have Beall's execution delayed. It is within reason that Booth would help lobby for Beall considering that Lee had taken over from Jacob Thompson and was technically Booth's boss.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - L Verge - 02-25-2013 07:30 PM

Jerry,

When you are at Surratt House for the conference, you might want to check on a book written on Gen. E.G. Lee by one of his descendants (with the help of Mr. Hall). I have not read it, but it might contain information about Lee and Beall. Your thoughts on the Beall/Lee/Booth relationship sure makes sense. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book -- and you might already be aware of it.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - JMadonna - 02-25-2013 07:45 PM

Thanks Laurie,

Put it aside for me along with the Brennan article. There is precious little out there on E.G. Lee. I'm bringing my Credit Card... and my grandson. Can't get him started too soon.

Jerry

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - L Verge - 02-25-2013 07:53 PM

I'll be happy to babysit! I'll just hand him back when it's time to change his diaper. I changed my last one over ten years ago -- until I become a great-grandmother. And, if Aaron knows what's good for him that better not be for at least another 10-12 years.

BTW: The E.G. Lee book is in the research center. We used to carry it in the gift shop, but I doubt that we still do. I think it dates to the 1990s or earlier.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - RJNorton - 02-26-2013 08:23 AM

(02-25-2013 06:54 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  It is within reason that Booth would help lobby for Beall

Jerry, do you feel Booth might have met with Lincoln in the White House regarding Beall?

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - JMadonna - 02-26-2013 08:42 AM

(02-26-2013 08:23 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 06:54 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  It is within reason that Booth would help lobby for Beall

Jerry, do you feel Booth might have met with Lincoln in the White House regarding Beall?

Don't know. Lincoln got tired of people lobbying him on the subject and finally closed his door to all who wanted to talk about Beall. The only exception he made was for Beall's mother who got him to delay the execution for two weeks.

If Booth made the attempt he was likely turned away at the door; which could be the basis for the legend.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - LincolnMan - 02-26-2013 08:45 AM

I certainly can not envision a man like with (with his ego) grappling at the legs of Lincoln-or anyone else.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - RJNorton - 02-26-2013 08:59 AM

Personally I put several alleged Lincoln meetings on the "suspect list." In addition to the story about Beall:

1. Lincoln's meetings in the White House with Charles Chiniquy.
2. Lincoln's meeting in the White House with Harriet Beecher Stowe.
3. Lincoln's meeting in Richmond with Mrs. Pickett and the baby.

RE: Lincoln's non pardon - LincolnMan - 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Agree, Roger. I really like the Pickett story-wish it was true-but probably not.