Lincoln Discussion Symposium
John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher (/thread-629.html)

Pages: 1 2

John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - LincolnMan - 01-20-2013 06:36 PM

Did you know John Surratt Jr. tried his hand in teaching?
The Spring 2012 Lincoln Herald features an article titled: The Conspirator Who Was Not There by Alfred Isacsson who writes this about it:

"Between 1870 and 1872, John Surratt left his Rockville post and secured an appointment teaching at Saint Joseph's School, Emmitsburg, MD. He was a poor teacher; he rattled his classes and resorted to physical punishment to maintain discipline. On older boys, he used his fists, while he 2would paddle the younger ones after he stretched them over a special punishment desk he had designed. "The Old Bear," as the boys nicknamed him, swore at them in French when they overstepped the limits of his discipline."

Wow, glad he wasn't one of my teachers. On second thought, maybe that's what I really needed!

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - HerbS - 01-20-2013 09:44 PM

My Algebra teacher was like Surratt,that's why I love Math now!lol

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - LincolnMan - 01-20-2013 10:19 PM

You had to love it Herb!

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - RJNorton - 01-21-2013 06:18 AM

Eventually he became the principal, according to author Andy Jampoler.

Surratt was not happy, though. He wrote Father Charles Jolivet:

"My greatest desire, Father Jolivet is to leave this abominable country and go to Europe there to spend the balance of my days in peace and quiet. If I could only feel secure of something to do in France or England that would assure me of a moderate living, I would leave here in less than a week. Ah Father Jolivet if you could only secure me some kind of employment, you would confer a favor indeed."

Father Jolivet either couldn't or wouldn't help, according to Jampoler.

Eventually Surratt left education and went to work for the Baltimore Steam Packet Company.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - Barry Doohan - 01-21-2013 08:35 AM

Does anyone know whether the school at Emmittsburg was St. Joseph's Academy or the St, Joseph parish school? St. Joseph's academy at one point was a college, was later closed, and the buildings now serve as the FEMA National Firefighter's School. St. Joseph's parish is located on the north side of town. Based on Surratt's education, I would guess he taught at the parish school.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - LincolnMan - 01-21-2013 09:48 AM

Did Surratt have any qualifications to be a teacher-or a principal? Also, I find it curious that a person connected in the way he was with the Lincoln assassination would be hired as staff at a school anyway.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - HerbS - 01-21-2013 10:06 AM

Qualifications to be a principal-don't get me started! People now days are only in the classroom for 4yrs! "The kiddie corps".So back then-it had to be easier than now-especially in a Catholic School.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - RJNorton - 01-21-2013 10:14 AM

Barry, I checked Andy Jampoler's book, and he says it was called St. Vincent's Academy.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - wsanto - 01-21-2013 11:18 AM

(01-21-2013 09:48 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Did Surratt have any qualifications to be a teacher-or a principal? Also, I find it curious that a person connected in the way he was with the Lincoln assassination would be hired as staff at a school anyway.
It seems to me that the only qualification for teaching back then was a willingness to teach and some level of education greater that your students.

Having escaped the gallows himself you would think he might be a little more merciful than the average teacher...I guess not.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - LincolnMan - 01-21-2013 12:35 PM

I would not think that Surratt practiced what was considered that "standard" for that day and age. Although I remember my father in law telling me stories of going to Catholic school during the 1940's-where the priests (who were the teachers)would physically hit the students.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - antiquefinder - 01-21-2013 05:30 PM

(01-21-2013 12:35 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I would not think that Surratt practiced what was considered that "standard" for that day and age. Although I remember my father in law telling me stories of going to Catholic school during the 1940's-where the priests (who were the teachers)would physically hit the students.

I can't believe John used to hit children. You think he would have remembered he was granted mercy. Hitting children is a horrible way no matter what century it is.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - JMadonna - 01-21-2013 05:43 PM

(01-21-2013 12:35 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  I would not think that Surratt practiced what was considered that "standard" for that day and age. Although I remember my father in law telling me stories of going to Catholic school during the 1940's-where the priests (who were the teachers)would physically hit the students.

I attended Catholic schools in the 50's where the nuns paddled you for misbehaving on the playground with the PA system turned on as a warning to others. We called them the public floggings.

Please sir can I have another?

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - Dawn E Foster - 01-21-2013 08:12 PM

I remember our principal had a paddle, in grade school in the '60's. These days, if you even look at a kid funny, they run home and tell their parents - who call the newspaper first, and then a lawyer to sue. I've seen it happen more than once.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - LincolnMan - 01-21-2013 08:38 PM

It seems the teaching profession has gone through much change-or should I say our national culture has. Sad.

RE: John Surratt Jr. as a teacher - HerbS - 01-21-2013 08:41 PM

Dawn is correct-Everything has gotten out of hand-public and private!