Lincoln Discussion Symposium
The Lincoln Bible - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Lincoln Bible (/thread-627.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: The Lincoln Bible - LincolnMan - 05-21-2013 09:21 AM

Nice discovery. Now we know!

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Jim Garrett - 05-21-2013 08:57 PM

Thank you for finding out. I think the person at Ford's was thinking I meant at Ford's or MARS.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Eva Elisabeth - 05-26-2013 08:45 AM

Allow me to hook 4 "Johnson questions" here:

1. Was or wasn't he an alcoholic? He was said to be a "heavy drinker occasionally", but I read that two of his sons definitly were alcoholics. Since the disposition is often inherited, could this be an indication? Did similar misbehaviors (in public) like at his swearing-in as Vice-Pres. happen during his presidency? There might exist no absolute evidence, and I admit speculation on such issues is a bit slippery from the ethic point of view, but I'd be pleased if you shared your opinions.

2. Mary complained he failed to pay the "customary acts of consolation". In what way? What exactly did he miss to do?

3. Although he was from Tennessee, he retained his seat in Senate until 1862. (About) how many other members of Congress from secceeded states did the same? (I never came across figures, only across "a few", that's pretty much a wide scope!)

4. He was impeached in 1868 (not convicted), how was the impeachment reasoned?

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Rogerm - 05-26-2013 09:14 AM

Eva, in answer to your fourth question, the Radical Republicans in Congress did not appreciate President Johnson's attempt to remove Secretary of War Stanton. Stanton resisted this attempt by barricading himself in his office for several weeks. The Republicans brought this as well as other charges against the president during his impeachment trial. As a side note, Johnson was re-elected Senator from Tennessee late in life, but died in 1875 shortly after his election.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - L Verge - 05-26-2013 09:19 AM

I am no expert on Andrew Johnson, but I'll just throw in my two-cents' worth:

1. Johnson held many high positions in government, so I seriously doubt that he would fit the modern description of alcoholism - unless he was what is termed a functioning alcoholic. I suspect he had a proclivity to drink, but was not a drunkard to the extent that it kept him from public view and winning elections.

2. Did Johnson ever make a personal call to Mary Lincoln while she was in seclusion in the White House? If I were he, I would have stayed the heck away from her! He was sympathetic enough to allow her to extend her stay.

3. The only other one that I remember being named was Wigfall of Texas (who, I think, deserves more attention).

4. I believe the impeachment was on the grounds of obstructing Congress in their Reconstruction efforts???

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Eva Elisabeth - 05-26-2013 04:52 PM

Laurie and Roger, thanks for your elaborated answers. About #4, I would have expected an impeachment demands some real serious reasons (treason, bribery, murder,...)

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Hess1865 - 05-26-2013 09:03 PM

I've always considered Johnson a boozer.
What nailed it for me was a book I read titled, 'Mrs. Brown's Journal', which was a privatly printed book. A very interesting book that should have been mass-released IMO. In it Mrs. Brown lived in St. Louis during the war, and she tells one tale of being on train that carried Johnson before he became VP. Mrs. Brown said Andy and his cohorts on the ride were very drunk and obnoxious, upsetting the other passengers with their rowdy behavior.

Mrs. Brown also tells of several dealings with Gen. Grant, who she claimed was a perfect gentleman with her and her freinds at all times.

I guess we all know who is dogged by history with spurious tales of alcholism.....

RE: The Lincoln Bible - J. Beckert - 05-26-2013 09:31 PM

What I find interesting about the Lincoln's views on Johnson is that they are polar opposites. After the embarrassing display on inauguration day, Lincoln said he'd known Johnson for a long time and Andy "ain't a drunkard". In a letter after the assassination, Mary referred to him as a "miserable inebriate".

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Eva Elisabeth - 05-26-2013 11:06 PM

...and Lincoln said: "Do not let Johnson speak outside." But that was not contradictionary to the latter, but wise on the occasion

Hess1865, thanks for this interesting tale, the train ride incident seems, again, one to disprove the proverb that "things aren't what they were"...

(...it seems to BE one to...)

What you tell about Grant corroborates my impression of him. He must have been an interesting character,too (a true character, not just a type, from the drama theory's point of view).

RE: The Lincoln Bible - RJNorton - 05-27-2013 05:08 AM

Personally I agree with Mr. Hess. Eva, before you joined our forum, we had discussed Johnson and alcohol as well as whether or not Johnson was a womanizer. Our own Jerry Madonna, who thinks outside the box on many issues, has the most fascinating tale of his theory of what Johnson may have been doing (use you own imagination, Eva) at the moment of Lincoln's assassination. Whether true or not, I find it most interesting. In his book Jerry writes that Booth had sent Johnson "a present" for the night of April 14, 1865. This "present" was Ella Starr, Booth's mistress. A member of our forum, Jenny, has studied Ella in great depth and has shared much information about her. Although outwardly this may have been a "thank you" for Johnson having given Booth a pass out of Washington, it also would have the effect of keeping Johnson in his room when Atzerodt (or Herold) was supposed to come to the door at Johnson's hotel and shoot him. Although conventional wisdom has Atzerodt as Johnson's potential assassin, there is an argument to be made that it was actually Herold who ended up with this assignment.

No one on the forum has ever agreed with me on this, but I have noted there was a definite delay in Johnson answering the door when Leonard Farwell knocked to tell of the assassination at Ford's. Johnson, I believe, had a suite of rooms at the Kirkwood House, so I speculated a little time was needed to hide Eva when Johnson opened his door for Farwell. All of this assumes Jerry's theory on Eva being in there is true.

Regarding whether Johnson was a womanizer...this isn't the best answer or the most reliable source, but in the Johnson chapter of his book Through Five Administrations, William H. Crook (the same man who was working in the White House when Lincoln was president) wrote, "Johnson had an amiable weakness for women, particularly for pretty women. Those of us who were on duty in corridors and anterooms saw many evidences of this fact."

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Eva Elisabeth - 05-27-2013 08:03 AM

Great input, Roger, as always. Thanks.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Thomas Lapsley - 07-26-2014 08:00 PM

In 2009, Andrews McMeel publishing has produced "THE LINCOLN-OBAMA INAUGURAL BIBLE COLLECTION" which features an exquisite replica of the Lincoln Inaugural Bible, and it comes in a blue clamshell box embossed with the Presidential Seal. It also includes a booklet and some 2009 inaugural materials. Available only at amazon.com.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - marieandlouis - 07-26-2014 10:05 PM

I have a question on Johnson- why did he fire Edwin Stanton?

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Gene C - 07-27-2014 07:33 AM

Johnson & Stanton strongly disagreed with the military role in reconstruction and in allowing former Confederate leaders to hold positions of leadership and responsibility in the newly formed governments of the south.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - marieandlouis - 07-27-2014 09:26 AM

Thanks Gene. I have read that Johnson wanted to get rid of Stanton because allegedly they were both in on the plot
to assassinate Lincoln and Johnson was afraid Stanton would reveal that Johnson was involved. So, Johnson fired Stanton. I wonder if there was any truth to that?