Lincoln Discussion Symposium
The Lincoln Bible - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln - The White House Years (/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Lincoln Bible (/thread-627.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Lincoln Bible - ReignetteC - 01-19-2013 09:57 PM

As I am sure the members of this forum know, at Monday’s Inaugural ceremony, President Obama will take the oath of office on bibles that belonged to Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King.

The Lincoln bible is from the president’s first inauguration, and Dr. King’s bible, described as a “traveling bible,” is from his travels throughout the country when he sought equal rights for all Americans.

The historical significance of these great books reminds me of another "Lincoln Bible" - a gift, in 1864, from a group of grateful African-Americans. James Randall, in Fehrenbacher's The Leadership of Abraham Lincoln, describes the bible and its presentation as follows:

“Though relatively few Negroes ever saw Lincoln, and still fewer talked with him, Negroes everywhere came to think of him as their friend. They were not backward in expressing their regard for him. The colored people of Baltimore, to show their appreciation of the ‘distinguished services of President Lincoln in the cause of human freedom,’ contributed $580.75 to have a copy of the Bible bound in purple velvet, mounted in gold, engraved with a representation of Lincoln striking the shackles from a slave, and enclosed in a walnut case lined with white silk. This imposing volume they presented to the president at the White House in September, 1864. ‘I can only say now, as I have often said before, it has always been a sentiment with me that all mankind should be free,’ Lincoln remarked, in thanking the colored delegation. ‘In regard to the great book, I can only say it is the best gift which God has ever given man.’”

RE: The Lincoln Bible - RJNorton - 01-20-2013 05:58 AM

Thank you, Reignette, for starting this thread.

The Bible was inscribed, "To Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, the Friend of Universal Freedom, from the Loyal Colored People of Baltimore, as a token of respect and Gratitude. Baltimore, 4th July 1864."

RE: The Lincoln Bible - ReignetteC - 01-20-2013 07:32 PM

A picture of the Lincoln Inaugural Bible:

[Image: lincolninauguralbible.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RE: The Lincoln Bible - antiquefinder - 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

(01-20-2013 07:32 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  A picture of the Lincoln Inaugural Bible:

I'm surprised the person holding this bible does not have white gloves on? Something this rare should be taken care of the right way to preserve it.Huh

RE: The Lincoln Bible - wsanto - 01-22-2013 12:07 PM

The Bible is much smaller than I imagined (relative to the holder's hands). Imagine Lincoln's large hand on this Bible.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 12:57 PM

Here are President Lincoln's words upon being presented with the Bible:

--------------------------------------------------------------

September 7, 1864

This occasion would seem fitting for a lengthy response to the address which you have just made. I would make one, if prepared; but I am not. I would promise to respond in writing, had not experience taught me that business will not allow me to do so. I can only now say, as I have often before said, it has always been a sentiment with me that all mankind should be free. So far as able, within my sphere, I have always acted as I believed to be right and just; and I have done all I could for the good of mankind generally. In letters and documents sent from this office I have expressed myself better than I now can. In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man.

All the good the Saviour gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it. To you I return my most sincere thanks for the very elegant copy of the great Book of God which you present.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - LincolnMan - 01-22-2013 10:45 PM

(01-20-2013 07:32 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  A picture of the Lincoln Inaugural Bible:

Great picture. Wonder who is holding it?

RE: The Lincoln Bible - RJNorton - 01-23-2013 05:08 PM

Bill, I tried to find the answer but drew a blank. I did find the following information from the LOC site here:

"To view the Lincoln Inaugural Bible today is to conjure up the remarkable scene, which unfolded on the East Front of the Capitol almost 148 years ago. Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney, then 84 years old, administered the oath of office. As the author of the infamous "Dred Scott" decision of 1857, which held in part that Congress did not have the power to abolish slavery in the territories, Taney was clearly no friend to Lincoln or the cause of emancipation. In the Inaugural Address that followed, President Lincoln appealed to his countrymen to follow "the better angels of our nature."

The Bible was originally purchased by William Thomas Carroll, Clerk of the Supreme Court. The Lincolns’ family Bible, which is also in the Library’s collections, had been packed with other belongings that were traveling from Springfield.

The inaugural Bible itself is bound in burgundy velvet with a gold-washed white metal rim around the three outside edges of both covers. All its edges are heavily gilt. In the center of the top cover is a shield of gold wash over white metal with the words "Holy Bible" chased into it. The book is 15 cm long, 10 cm wide, and 4.5 cm deep when closed. The 1,280-page Bible was published in 1853 by the Oxford University Press.

In the back of the volume, along with the seal of the Supreme Court, it is annotated: "I, William Thomas Carroll, clerk of the said court do hereby certify that the preceding copy of the Holy Bible is that upon which the Honble. R. B. Taney, Chief Justice of the said Court, administered to His Excellency, Abraham Lincoln, the oath of office as President of the United States ... "

The Lincoln Inaugural Bible will go on display at the Library of Congress Feb. 12 to May 9, 2009, as part of an exhibition titled "With Malice Toward None: The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Exhibition." The exhibit will then travel to five other American cities."

RE: The Lincoln Bible - J. Beckert - 01-23-2013 09:20 PM

Wasn't it Wm. Carroll's family mausoleum that was "borrowed" for Willy for a few years?

RE: The Lincoln Bible - ReignetteC - 01-23-2013 11:46 PM

(01-22-2013 10:45 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  

Bill,

You'll find your answer here: http://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2009/01/the-lincoln-inaugural-bible-chapter-and-verse/

RE: The Lincoln Bible - RJNorton - 01-24-2013 05:47 AM

Yes, Joe. Willie's coffin was in a crypt of the Carroll tomb. The clerk of the Supreme Court, Thomas Carroll, offered space in the Carroll tomb for Willie.

Reignette, thank you for finding that link.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - LincolnMan - 01-24-2013 08:52 AM

(01-23-2013 11:46 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 10:45 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  

Bill,

You'll find your answer here: http://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2009/01/the-lincoln-inaugural-bible-chapter-and-verse/

Thank you!

RE: The Lincoln Bible - ninabeth13 - 01-29-2013 03:00 PM

So glad I found this thread. Such a beautiful photograph, wish I could flip through the book! I didn't know it was from "the colored people of Baltimore." Thanks so much for sharing this.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - Jim Garrett - 02-01-2013 08:51 PM

(01-22-2013 11:11 AM)antiquefinder Wrote:  

I'm surprised the person holding this bible does not have white gloves on? Something this rare should be taken care of the right way to preserve it.Huh

there are two schools of thought on the white cotton gloves. Some institutions require use of the gloves at all times. Others have said that the concerns of contamination from oils on the skin are greatly overblown. Seems like alot of presidents have put their hand on that Bible, both Republican and Democrat, along with Chief Justices. What's one more set of hands.

RE: The Lincoln Bible - LincolnMan - 05-13-2013 09:49 PM

Was Andrew Johnson sworn in using the same Bible? If not, where is the Bible that was used?