Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 12-28-2016 01:15 PM

I am totally in agreement with Anita -- and I agree with this First Lady!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-28-2016 02:55 PM

Nope, not Hillary, Gene. Anita and Laurie, you both win! It was Mamie Eisenhower.

My earliest memory of her was something my mother told me when I was in grade school. My mother rarely talked politics with me, but I knew she really liked President Eisenhower. I also knew she didn't like Mamie Eisenhower. Once she told me that the First Lady was an alcoholic. I do not know the veracity of that, but it has stuck with me all these years as to what my mother said to me when I was quite young.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 12-28-2016 05:01 PM

(12-28-2016 02:55 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Nope, not Hillary, Gene. Anita and Laurie, you both win! It was Mamie Eisenhower.

My earliest memory of her was something my mother told me when I was in grade school. My mother rarely talked politics with me, but I knew she really liked President Eisenhower. I also knew she didn't like Mamie Eisenhower. Once she told me that the First Lady was an alcoholic. I do not know the veracity of that, but it has stuck with me all these years as to what my mother said to me when I was quite young.

If what I have read is correct, Mrs. Eisenhower would be the prime candidate for alcoholism as a military wife, amid rumors of her husband's affair with his WWII (female) driver, and then as First Lady in an era where First Ladies (except for Eleanor Roosevelt) were supposed to be way in the background.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 12-28-2016 05:20 PM

"Mamie Eisenhower suffered from an inner ear condition called Meniere's disease, which caused her to suffer bouts of severe dizziness. When she appeared unsteady because of these episodes, rumors that she was an alcoholic were printed in the 7 June 1959 issue of the tabloid National Enquirer.."

http://www.firstladies.org biographies

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-28-2016 05:29 PM

Many thanks, Anita. I wonder if my mother had noticed this condition years earlier as I would guess it was c.1954/1955 when she made her comment to me. She could have misinterpreted unsteadiness as alcoholism. We have several folks in the development where we live who have various degrees of this condition; one lady, just returned from up north, has given up bike riding because of it.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 12-28-2016 06:15 PM

Very interesting, Anita. It must be terrible to have to endure such rumors, especially when such is the background.

Re.:"...as First Lady in an era where First Ladies (except for Eleanor Roosevelt) were supposed to be way in the background" - I have often wondered if First Ladies were even less supposed in the background in earlier days?!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-29-2016 07:40 AM

Which First Lady said:

"...I cannot see why anyone should want to be President in the next four years. I can see but one word written over the head of my husband if he is elected, and that word is "Tragedy."

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 12-29-2016 09:42 AM

Edith Wilson ?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-29-2016 11:32 AM

Good try, Gene, but it was not Edith Wilson.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 12-29-2016 11:46 AM

I am clueless other than guessing 19th century?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-29-2016 11:48 AM

Hint #1: It was a 20th century First Lady.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 12-29-2016 01:12 PM

Bess Truman ?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-29-2016 01:44 PM

Nope, it was not Bess Truman, Gene.

Hint #2: This First Lady's husband had at least one affair with another woman.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 12-29-2016 02:24 PM

Mrs. Harding?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-29-2016 02:31 PM

You win, Laurie. Kudos.

Florence Harding made this comment to reporters at the Republican Convention in Chicago on June 10, 1920.