Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-18-2015 05:23 PM

My choice if I were Joe:
[attachment=1468]
...because although Italian, Claudia Cardinale is Tunisian-born, and Tunisian cuisine is excellent!!! (And eye-catching, too.)

(BTW, did you know CC's career began because in 1957, the Italian cinema in Tunis organized a competition to find the "Most Beautiful Italian Girl in Tunisia"? She won, and the prize was a trip to Venice during the Venice Film Festival, where she was spotted by film producers.)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-18-2015 08:47 PM

(02-18-2015 05:23 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  My choice if I were Joe:

...because although Italian, Claudia Cardinale is Tunisian-born, and Tunisian cuisine is excellent!!! (And eye-catching, too.)

(BTW, did you know CC's career began because in 1957, the Italian cinema in Tunis organized a competition to find the "Most Beautiful Italian Girl in Tunisia"? She won, and the prize was a trip to Venice during the Venice Film Festival, where she was spotted by film producers.)

Claudia Cardinale is sure a name from the past! I also thought about Gina Lollabriggeta (and I'm sure that I just butchered her last name).

(02-18-2015 05:07 PM)Wild Bill Wrote:  Well, I do not know about anyone else but Sophia Loren is MY favorite Italian dish--along with Judge Jeanine Pirro, of course

Boy, would I love to watch a conversation between you and Judge Jeanine. Notice I said "conversation" instead of "debate," because I'm sure that the two of you agree on many things (as do I).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 11:18 AM

(02-17-2015 06:05 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I learned the Garfield quote from reading Tom Bogar's American Presidents Attend the Theatre. I heartily recommend this book by Tom as well.
So do I!
In his book, Tom states that a few presidents had only little to zero interest in theater and hardly ever attended. Only one of these eight presidents took office sometime after Abraham Lincoln's presidency.

Who?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 02-19-2015 11:49 AM

Just guessing - Ronald Reagan ?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-19-2015 12:32 PM

My guess would be Nixon. Or, FDR (since he did not like to have the general public see him in a wheelchair?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 12:37 PM

Good guesses, Gene and Laurie - Nixon and RR were indeed modest theatergoers (RR paradoxically - since he was an actor himself), but another president was less interested in the subject than these gentlemen. (FDR enjoyed attending the theater.)

Hint #1: He wasn't originally from the Sahara of the Bozart but might have gained his disdain there.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-19-2015 01:17 PM

Wilson?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 01:32 PM

Another good guess, Laurie, but it wasn't Wilson either.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 02-19-2015 02:19 PM

Well, let's try President Hayes. Perhaps Lemonade Lucy thought theater a vice also?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 03:17 PM

A very smart idea, Laurie, but this gentleman held office in the second half of the 20th century.

Hint #2: He also opposed brassica oleracea var. italica Plenck.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 02-19-2015 03:55 PM

My guess is Ford.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 04:02 PM

Good guess, Anita - I'm sorry, it's not Ford either!

Hint #3: He even banned that special brassicacea (see hint #2) from boarding the AF1.
Hint #4: As a president he had something in common with John Quincy Adams.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rogerm - 02-19-2015 04:02 PM

Was it Eisenhower?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 02-19-2015 04:17 PM

Very good guess, Roger, as Ike indeed was only a modest theatergoer, but not as modest as the sought-after gentleman.

Hint #5: This president's father was right the opposite - an enthusiastic theatergoer.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 02-19-2015 04:45 PM

George W Bush