Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 10:17 AM

Harry Truman?

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-22-2013 11:00 AM

Too recent. You're not too hot on this one. In fact, you're rather cool

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 11:04 AM

Warren G. Harding Calvin Coolidge?

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-22-2013 11:14 AM

Bingo, Roger. Col. John Coolidge, a Notary Public, was the only man to administer the Presidential Oath to his own son. When asked by a reporter how he knew he could administer the oath, Coolidge replied in the taciturn fashion inherited by his son, "I didn't know I couldn't." (Coolidge took the oath again when he returned to Washington) He removed the phone to the front porch as soon as his son headed back to Washington.

The Correct Answer Review Board has decided to award you some Vermont cheddar. I'll ship it today. Congrats!

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 11:22 AM

Thanks, Joe. Love that Correct Answer Review Board.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 11:27 AM

Charles Lindbergh once asked a First Lady to go for an airplane ride. She turned him down. Who was she?

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 01-22-2013 11:52 AM

Grace Coolidge. He also asked the President who declined for them both. Back at ya.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-22-2013 12:52 PM

Kudos, Joe.

You win the free flight with Charles Lindbergh.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 01-22-2013 10:28 PM

Who was the only President that was an executioner??
Really!

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - LincolnMan - 01-22-2013 10:31 PM

I read about this years ago. It's a great question! The answer is Grover Cleveland. He was a sheriff somewhere- and executed a murderer.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 01-23-2013 10:33 AM

Correct!!
Cleveland was the High Sheriff for Erie County in New York, so he presided over some of the hangings. His view was that he would do whatever job his men were asked to do too, so he did a few!!

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-23-2013 05:37 PM

Abigail Adams wrote the following about a man:

"I found him social, but not talkative, and when he spoke something useful dropped from his tongue; he was grave, yet pleasant, and affable."

She was writing about whom? (not her husband)

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 01-23-2013 06:10 PM

Thomas Jefferson?

Best
Rob

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 01-23-2013 06:17 PM

Excellent guess, Rob! But that's not it.

Hint #1: The answer is an extremely well-known name in American history, but he never became a president.

RE: New Topic - Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Linda Anderson - 01-23-2013 06:24 PM

Benjamin Franklin?