Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 11-24-2013 06:49 PM

Congratulations, Joe. You are correct. According to the web page here the family had a total of 11 "First Dogs" over the years.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 11-24-2013 08:30 PM

I love the forum. It takes me to so many places I hadn't planned. While searching for Roger's First Family mystery dog I found "George Washington and the American Foxhound. America's first President was not only the father of his country but also the father of the American foxhound. He carefully bred and maintained his dogs, listing more than 30 hounds in his journals, including ones named Drunkard, Tipler and Tipsy."

[attachment=298]

Read more: Presidents and Their Dogs - Photo Essays - TIME http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1830236,00.html#ixzz2lc095w7L

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 11-24-2013 09:03 PM

I read that same article in my search also, Anita, and loved the names of some of those animals. I was even amazed to find that one of the First Ladies even raised silk worms. I think it was Mrs. John Q. Adams.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 11-24-2013 09:47 PM

Laurie,
Yes I read about Louisa Adams and her silk worms. Reminded me of when I taught pre-school many years ago and over Easter break had to take home the class silk worms and a supply of mulberry leaves. I put them in the room across from our bedroom. I was awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of their munching those those leaves. Very noisy eaters!

This would be a fun exercise for students. Give them a topic to search and see what they learn along the way. After all, it's about the journey!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 11-25-2013 08:54 AM

(11-24-2013 08:30 PM)Anita Wrote:  I love the forum. It takes me to so many places I hadn't planned.

And to so many special people I never would have met otherwise

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 11-25-2013 02:21 PM

(11-25-2013 08:54 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 08:30 PM)Anita Wrote:  I love the forum. It takes me to so many places I hadn't planned.

And to so many special people I never would have met otherwise

Gene you are so right on. It is about the journey AND the people we meet along the way on the forum. What a gift Roger has given us.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-22-2013 11:14 AM

At Christmas a special invitation for a children's party was sent out. The party would be held on Christmas Day at 4:00 P.M. Some of the games played were Hide and Seek, Puss in the Corner, and Blind Man's Bluff. The party was held in the East Room. The children were said to have run unrestrained "as if on a Texas prairie."

Who was the President at this time?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 12-22-2013 11:46 AM

Ulysses S. Grant?

Best
Rob

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-22-2013 11:55 AM

Good try, Rob, but it wasn't Grant.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 12-22-2013 12:27 PM

Since they had a brood of their own, I'll guess Teddy Roosevelt's family.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 12-22-2013 12:47 PM

James Polk?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-22-2013 02:00 PM

Good tries, Laurie and Eva, but neither guess is correct.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 12-22-2013 02:22 PM

This is just a wild guess, but Andrew Jackson? (I was watching an episode of The West Wing earlier when they were talking about Jackson's Big Block of Cheese which gave me the idea)

Best
Rob

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 12-22-2013 02:30 PM

I don't see the Texas connection (LBJ?), but something is making me think Pres. Kennedy.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 12-22-2013 02:33 PM

Good try, Joe, but Rob got it. Kudos, Rob!

This children's party happened on Christmas, 1835.

SOURCE: December 2008 Surratt Courier