Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - BettyO - 08-08-2013 07:47 AM

Another Lafayette Square resident! Thanks, Roger....

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Jim Garrett - 08-08-2013 07:40 PM

(08-08-2013 07:47 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Another Lafayette Square resident! Thanks, Roger....

Dolly Madison's house was occupied by Charles Wilkes, USN just before the "late unpleasantness". He was the commander who stopped a civilian British merchant ship and took Mason and Slidell captive...the Trent affair. During the "late unpleasantness, Slidell's home was occupied by Gideon Wells. The Madison house was also used by General George B. McClellan and it was in the front parlor that AL was snubbed by McClellan.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2013 03:12 AM

Once a president was not sworn in on a bible. Who was it?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 08-19-2013 04:52 AM

I am pretty certain this is wrong, but I'll guess David Rice Atchison.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2013 06:24 AM

What a smart guess! I'm afraid the answer is much simpler, it was not a president pro tempore.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2013 08:19 AM

Hint #1: The procedure did not take place in Washington.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Joe Di Cola - 08-19-2013 08:19 AM

(08-19-2013 06:24 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  What a smart guess! I'm afraid the answer is much simpler, it was not a president pro tempore.

Good mor ning, Eva,

Theodore Roosevelt. He took the oath merely with uplifted hand. When Mc Kinley died, TR was off in the mountains and had to be located and told the news.

Joe

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2013 08:22 AM

Kudos, Joe! There's nothing to add to your answer (just maybe that he was sworn in in Boston).

Here's another trivia question:
What did Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Jimmy Carter have in common?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 08-19-2013 09:28 AM

Nobel Peace Prize
(they earned theirs)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-19-2013 09:40 AM

Very good, Gene! Here's your noble prize:
[attachment=193]

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 08-19-2013 10:00 AM

Thank you Eva, I want to thank the selection committee that has honored my by this prestigious award. In my humility, I can't think of anyone more deserving. All those years dedicated to the Angry Birds Sanctuary and Counseling Center have finaly paid off. For those of you who don't know what to say, just send cash. To show my apreciation, let's all meet this evening at 7 for a celebration at the KY Fried Chicken in Paducah. My treat.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-28-2013 07:36 AM

Who predicted on March 26, 1959, before Kennedy had formally declared his candidacy, on a press connference: "The next President of the United States will be from Boston...He's a Puritan named Kennedy. The only Puritans left these days are the Roman Catholics. There. I guess I wear my politics on my sleeve."

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-28-2013 09:09 AM

Hint#1: The occasion of the press conference was a gala in NYC to celebrate this person's 85th birthday.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Joe Di Cola - 08-28-2013 09:18 AM

(08-28-2013 09:09 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint#1: The occasion of the press conference was a gala in NYC to celebrate this person's 85th birthday.

Former President Herbert Hoover. He would have been 85 that year and he lived in New York.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-28-2013 09:27 AM

Good guess, Joe, but it was no politician. But you all will know this person.