Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-24-2013 10:48 AM

Richard Nixon - despite the fact that he trusted no one?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Wild Bill - 07-24-2013 10:58 AM

Betty Ford

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2013 11:17 AM

First of all thanks for all your excellent guesses and sorry for the delay. The login didn't work on my smarthphone for whatever reason. I was able now to login on my computer, but the problem is I'm rarely at home, so I hope it won't stay like this.

I'm sorry to say none of your brilliant guesses is right. Gene, I suppose Jip was too smart to need any advice, don't you think so?

Hint#1: Before his presidency he once had held an office in a city where Mary T.L. had lived for some time.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rogerm - 07-24-2013 12:00 PM

Was it President Eisenhower?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Houmes - 07-24-2013 12:18 PM

(07-24-2013 04:56 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wo was referred to in the following statement:

“…and I discussed every major decision he made…Most persons in leadership authority like to think out loud with someone he deems to be intelligent, well informed, conscious of all the nuances from fiscal policy to political possibility, can be trusted absolutely never to divulgea secret, and whom he admires: it is that kind of person who should be the President’s principal confidant.”

I believe it's Eisenhower's younger brother, Milton. I always thought he was smarter than Ike.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rogerm - 07-24-2013 12:46 PM

After Eva's question has been answered satisfactorily, I have another one for you. Which common profession did both Washington and Lincoln practice in their earlier years?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Liz Rosenthal - 07-24-2013 01:37 PM

(07-24-2013 12:46 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  After Eva's question has been answered satisfactorily, I have another one for you. Which common profession did both Washington and Lincoln practice in their earlier years?

They were both surveyors in their youth.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2013 01:58 PM

As Roger said, the quote was made by Milton and he refered to his brother "Ike".

Roger, I couldn't imagine Washington on a flatboat or as a surveyor, so I would guess postmaster.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rogerm - 07-24-2013 04:46 PM

Liz has the correct answer to my question, because both Washington and Lincoln, indeed, worked as surveyors in their youth.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2013 05:24 PM

Additionally to the Eisenhower-question, I wanted to ask you where you think he ranks as a president?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 07-24-2013 05:43 PM

I'd say better than average, top 10. He helped to keep the Korean conflict from getting out of hand, however, unlike Vietnam, we still have real tension between north & south provinces today. But then again, with our help, South Korea has a much better economy and probably better living conditions than South Vietnam. And South Korea didn't go through the political upheaval and mass killings that Vietnam went through.

He also did a good job of selecting a support staff that were capable and knew what they were doing.
And last, but not least, while in the White House he had a nice dog. A Weimeraner name Heidi

Speaking of dogs, did you know President Eisenhower had his own dog tag?
http://ourpresidents.tumblr.com/post/31054540233/eisenhowers-dog-tag-ikes-dog-tag-issued

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rogerm - 07-24-2013 05:49 PM

In my own mind, I would rank President Eisenhower about six or seventh among the presidents.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-24-2013 07:51 PM

I have always thought highly of him because he gave so much attention to internal improvements within our country.

Also, I think we need to acknowledge Blaine Houmes as giving the right answer on this one -- Milton and the President.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-24-2013 08:10 PM

(07-24-2013 07:51 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Also, I think we need to acknowledge Blaine Houmes as giving the right answer on this one -- Milton and the President.
I'm sorry I've worded it badly.

(07-24-2013 01:58 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  As Roger said, the quote was made by Milton and he refered to his brother "Ike".
This was intented to say, as Roger said, the question was answered satisfactionately by both, Dr Houmes and Roger (guessing Milton and Dwight).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 07-24-2013 09:07 PM

Plus Ike gave the USA 8 years of unprecedented economic growth, the best of any Presidency in the 20th century.
I really don't think we'll ever see that again in our lifetimes