Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-07-2022 08:30 AM

Kudos, Michael! You are correct!

LINK

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 02-07-2022 09:24 AM

The poem 'The Ballad of Abraham Lincoln' by Bayard Taylor in the link above has been mentioned before

https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium/thread-3195.html?highlight=Ballad+of+Abraham+Lincoln

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - David Lockmiller - 02-07-2022 10:23 AM

(02-07-2022 06:13 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Here is another quote that refers to Abraham Lincoln. Who said this?

[Answer: Walt Whitman.]

"Why, if the old Greeks had had this man what trilogies of plays—what epics would have been made out of him!"

Doris Kearns Goodwin refers to Leo Tolstoy in her book, Team of Rivals, at page 747, as “the greatest writer of the age.” On page 748 of her book, she quotes Leo Tolstoy’s opinion on the subject of President Abraham Lincoln’s greatness:

“We are still too near to his greatness,” Tolstoy concluded, “but after a few centuries more our posterity will find him considerably bigger than we do. His genius is still too strong and too powerful for the common understanding; just as the sun is too hot when its light beams directly on us.”

(Goodwin’s Source: Leo Tolstoy, quoted in The World, New York, February 7, 1908.)

It would appear that Walt Whitman and Leo Tolstoy thought much alike about the greatness of President Abraham Lincoln. Unfortunately for mankind, Tolstoy's prediction may well prove to be correct.

Birthday in five days from today.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-07-2022 07:16 PM

No googling please.

Which United States President said this about Abraham Lincoln?

"When I am confronted with a great problem, I look up to that picture (a portrait of Lincoln), and I do as I believe Lincoln would have done. I have always felt if I could do as he would have done were he in my place, I would not be far from right."

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 02-07-2022 10:31 PM

Ronald Reagan

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-08-2022 05:42 AM

Excellent guess, Anita, but it was not Ronald Reagan.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Wild Bill - 02-08-2022 06:36 AM

Harry Truman

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-08-2022 10:35 AM

Excellent guess, Bill, but it's not Truman.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - David Lockmiller - 02-08-2022 10:56 AM

My guess is Franklin Roosevelt.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-08-2022 11:37 AM

Excellent guess, David, but it's not FDR.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 02-08-2022 01:31 PM

Teddy Roosevelt or John Kennedy

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-08-2022 02:11 PM

Kudos, Anita. It indeed was Teddy Roosevelt.

Here is a photo of Teddy Roosevelt's office with Abraham Lincoln's picture on the wall:

https://library.whitehousehistory.org/fotoweb/archives/5017-Digital-Library/Main%20Index/Rooms/3025.tif.info

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - David Lockmiller - 02-08-2022 02:34 PM

(02-08-2022 02:11 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos, Anita. It indeed was Teddy Roosevelt.

Here is a photo of Teddy Roosevelt's office with Abraham Lincoln's picture on the wall:

https://library.whitehousehistory.org/fotoweb/archives/5017-Digital-Library/Main%20Index/Rooms/3025.tif.info

A portrait of President Abraham Lincoln hangs above the fireplace mantel.

All he had to do was look up. Teddy Roosevelt's desk faced the fireplace.

Isn't it odd that the picture on the wall is Lincoln without a beard. That means before Abraham Lincoln was President.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 02-18-2022 08:17 AM

Let's see if this question can be answered without any research (books, googling, etc.).

What was the name of the Vice-President of the United States at the time of Abraham Lincoln's birth?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 02-18-2022 09:34 AM

Lincoln was born in the waning days of the Jefferson administration. Jefferson dropped Burr from the ticket after Burr schemed to have the House elect him as President during the 1800 election. I think George Clinton was Jefferson's second vice president.