Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 05-26-2013 06:02 PM

If he was a German, the "e" would almost sound like the "a" in "manison" and the "au" like "ow" in "wow".

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Hess1865 - 05-27-2013 08:52 AM

(05-26-2013 04:31 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Was Mrs. Buchanan this distinguished lady?

Buchanan wasa batchelor

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 06-01-2013 05:10 PM

For nearly three centuries, Japan had been a completely isolated nation. American shipping interests, however, identified the nation as a prime location to stop and resupply their ships on the way into China and Southeast Asia.

Which U.S. President pioneered the idea of trade with Japan?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 06-01-2013 07:06 PM

Millard Fillmore?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 06-01-2013 09:43 PM

You nailed it, Eva. Another one of our log cabin Presidents who doesn't get anywhere near the respect Lincoln gets, Millard Fillmore was the first to explore trade with Japan.

All you folks that drive those reliable, fuel efficient Toyotas owe a debt of gratitude to the Rodney Dangerfield of Presidents.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 06-01-2013 10:50 PM

I just read something about our first naval battle with Japan occurring during the Civil War. I believe a synopsis of it will be in the July issue of the Surratt Courier in our day-by-day blows of what was occurring during that war.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-09-2013 02:11 PM

Which First Lady said this?

"I live a very dull life here and know nothing that passes in the town. I never go to any public place - indeed, I am more like a state prisoner than anything else. There is certain bounds set for me which I must not depart from - and as I cannot do as I like, I am obstinate, and stay at home a great deal."

Hint #1: This was not said before or after her husband's presidency; it was said while he was president.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 06-09-2013 07:55 PM

James Madison's wife?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-10-2013 05:05 AM

Eva, it's not her, but you are not too far off.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - tblunk - 06-10-2013 06:40 AM

(06-10-2013 05:05 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Eva, it's not her, but you are not too far off.

Abigail Adams?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-10-2013 07:02 AM

You are REALLY getting close, Tom.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - tblunk - 06-10-2013 07:31 AM

(06-10-2013 07:02 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  You are REALLY getting close, Tom.

Well then, by the process of elimination, I'm going to say Martha Washington! Warmer? Colder?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 06-10-2013 08:49 AM

The hint suggests she had already been in Washington before the presidency. Martha Jefferson? (Am I a spoilsport if I'm guessing that often? If I know I'll back off!)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Joe Di Cola - 06-10-2013 08:56 AM

Abigail Adams? The President's House was still not completely ready, some of the paster was damp, and both the house and Washington were not very inviting places. Washington was a smelly, muddy, uncultured city at its founding.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-10-2013 08:59 AM

Good try, Eva and Joe, but Tom got it. These feelings were expressed by Martha Washington, then in New York, in a letter to her niece, Frances Fanny Bassett Washington. The date of the letter was October 23, 1789.