Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 08-28-2020 11:02 PM

Eva, Kennedy is buried in Arlington National Cemetery which is in Virginia, not Washington DC. I'm also guessing the city is Washington. Wilson died in Washington so he might have been buried there as well.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 08-29-2020 04:56 AM

Eva and Steve, you both get credit. Good thinking!

I saw this question on Jeopardy last week, and Washington was not the answer. Neither was Taft or Kennedy or Wilson. Possibly I did not word the question exactly the same as what I thought I had heard on TV. Let's see if someone can come up with a city (not Washington) and another President (not Taft or Kennedy or Wilson).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 08-29-2020 08:39 AM

Without using Google !!!!!! ( its too easy with Google )

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-29-2020 08:47 AM

(08-28-2020 11:02 PM)Steve Wrote:  Eva, Kennedy is buried in Arlington National Cemetery which is in Virginia, not Washington DC. I'm also guessing the city is Washington. Wilson died in Washington so he might have been buried there as well.
Thanks, Steve - I've been to Arlington and wasn't aware (or I forgot, shame on me...)

OK, another city with a presidential name that comes to my mind is Cleveland.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 08-29-2020 09:45 AM

You are correct, Eva! Now which U.S. President is buried there?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-29-2020 09:54 AM

I somehow link Garfield to Ohio, and I know that Grant was born there (but he's buried in NYC I think).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 08-29-2020 10:16 AM

Excellent, Eva! President James Garfield is buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Cleveland.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 08-29-2020 10:21 AM

Huh - I swear I didn't cheat. His assassination was so often topic here, I sure read it here once.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Mylye2222 - 09-01-2020 03:32 AM

Wasn't President Garfield assassinated by a guy who wanted vengeance because Garfield didn't granted him the federal job he wanted?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 09-01-2020 05:19 AM

(09-01-2020 03:32 AM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  Wasn't President Garfield assassinated by a guy who wanted vengeance because Garfield didn't granted him the federal job he wanted?

Yes; I think he felt he had done some work for Garfield during the campaign, and he expected a job in return.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Mylye2222 - 09-01-2020 08:32 AM

(09-01-2020 05:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-01-2020 03:32 AM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  Wasn't President Garfield assassinated by a guy who wanted vengeance because Garfield didn't granted him the federal job he wanted?

Yes; I think he felt he had done some work for Garfield during the campaign, and he expected a job in return.

That's make even worse thinking how Lincoln finally was lucky, because he wasn't assassinated earlier.
He few patronized for jobs, compared to his predecessors in office. How many times did he made a man disappointed at him because he didn't granted him what he was looking for....

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 09-01-2020 11:48 AM

There is the great story about how Lincoln turned down the man who asked for the job as doorkeeper.

Which made me wonder, is that a true story?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 09-03-2020 07:19 AM

Which world famous person , then in the New York area, was invited to the White House by the President of that time .... but the invitation was declined?

Ok, it is probably very misleading if I tell you that the person was an American citizen.

However, the fact that I say it would be misleading for those who don't know ..... may actually be a help for those that know.

Hope that's all clear.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 09-03-2020 08:55 AM

Was it an American who was living abroad but was visiting the U.S?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - David Lockmiller - 09-03-2020 11:55 AM

(09-01-2020 11:48 AM)Gene C Wrote:  There is the great story about how Lincoln turned down the man who asked for the job as doorkeeper.

Which made me wonder, is that a true story?

Gene, is this the story to which you refer?

President Lincoln’s boat trip to Richmond on April 4, 1865:

Soon after leaving City Point the Lincolns found out, if they didn’t already know it, that their excursion carried real risks. The thirty-mile river trip proved surprisingly suspenseful in its own right, as the travelers dodged submerged boats and live “torpedoes” (mines). For the last leg of the journey, Admiral Porter, a renowned veteran of the Civil War Union navy, ended up piloting a narrow barge towed by a tug (so the tug would absorb any explosive hits). But after the tug ran aground, the little group continued in the exposed barge, rowed upstream by twelve sailors. Porter later said he had approved the voyage only after “the channel was reported clear of torpedoes.” He soon found out the report was mistaken. On the way back to City Point the next day he observed all the torpedoes removed from the river after the presidential party had passed by: “the gun-boat people . . . had laid them all out on the banks, where they looked like so many queer fish basking in the sun, of all sizes and shapes.”

In keeping with his usual nonchalance or obliviousness about threats to his own safety, Lincoln voiced no concern about the physical danger, quipping only (in Porter’s later reconstruction of his words) that the sequence of craft—first Porter’s flagship, then the towed barge, finally the rowed barge—reminded him of “a fellow who once came to me to ask for an appointment as minister abroad. Finding he could not get that, he came down to some more modest position. Finally he asked to be made a tide-waiter. When he saw he could not get that, he asked me for an old pair of trousers. But it is well to be humble.” We can bet that Tad found the torpedo threat exhilarating and that his father would have laughed it off, whatever his true feelings, to reassure his son.