Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-05-2020 12:57 PM

Hint #2: This man's brother was the correct answer to a previously asked trivia question.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 06-05-2020 02:07 PM

Is this person still alive?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-05-2020 02:21 PM

(06-05-2020 02:07 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Is this person still alive?

Yes.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 06-05-2020 07:58 PM

One of John Tyler's grandsons?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - AussieMick - 06-05-2020 11:49 PM

American?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-06-2020 04:59 AM

Kudos, Eva!!! You are correct --> the gentleman is Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr., one of two living grandsons of President John Tyler. Tyler was President from 1841 to 1845. For some reason, when Steve made his post about the last Civil War pensioner dying it made me think of Tyler's grandsons still living.

Here is a link to information on the two living grandsons:

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-us-president-born-in-1790-has-two-living-grandsons-2017-8

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 06-06-2020 11:45 AM

In a late German "Who wants to be a millionaire" - show this was the 125,000€ -question. The candidate gave up, but I would have gotten it right...

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-17-2020 02:08 PM

I just read this and was definitely surprised. Which President invited only white U.S. Olympians to the White House?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 06-17-2020 03:56 PM

Roger,

My first thought would be Woodrow Wilson, but then I figured that might be too easy. So I will guess Warren G. Harding.

Best
Rob

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-17-2020 04:01 PM

Rob, in all honesty, I do not know about either one you mentioned (when it comes to Olympic Team invitations). Possibly one or both are correct; I just do not know. However, neither one is the President that I happened to just read about.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Rob Wick - 06-17-2020 04:37 PM

Hmmm. Someone you wouldn't imagine. The problem (at least for me) is that I could see just about anyone up to Kennedy doing that. How about FDR?

Best
Rob

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Susan Higginbotham - 06-17-2020 04:39 PM

I agree--FDR. Apparently Jesse Owens and others were not invited.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 06-17-2020 05:00 PM

Yes, Rob and Susan! Very good. In 1936 Jesse Owens (who won 4 gold medals in Berlin) and other U.S. black Olympians were not invited to the White House. The white Olympians were invited. From the Encyclopædia Britannica:

"So, Owens was not personally snubbed by Hitler. However, Owens did feel that he had been snubbed by someone: U.S. Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt. A month after the Olympic Games, Owens told a crowd, “Hitler didn’t snub me—it was [Roosevelt] who snubbed me. The president didn’t even send me a telegram.” Roosevelt never publicly acknowledged Owens’s triumphs—or the triumphs of any of the 18 African Americans who competed at the Berlin Olympics. Only white Olympians were invited to the White House in 1936. A number of explanations have been offered for the president’s actions. Most likely, Roosevelt did not want to risk losing the support of Southern Democrats by appearing overly soft on the race issue. The black Olympians who competed in Berlin were not recognized by the White House until 2016, when Pres. Barack Obama invited the athletes’ relatives to an event in celebration of their lives and accomplishments."

https://www.britannica.com/story/was-jesse-owens-snubbed-by-adolf-hitler-at-the-berlin-olympics

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-27-2020 04:48 PM

No googling, please.

Which President was investigated by the Covode Committee?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 07-27-2020 08:16 PM

Well Roger you said no googling but you didn't say no giggling. When I first looked at Covode Committee it sounded like a cross between Covid and Comode. Smile
Was this a Congressional Committee?