Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 04-14-2018 11:54 PM

(04-14-2018 10:35 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Uh-oh, Donna has the same resource info we have! Right again. In reading Feisty First Ladies, I got a surprise about Rachel (and yes, I know she didn't quite make it to the White House). I knew that she was somewhat of a social pariah, who smoked an occasional pipe and married Andy without knowing that she really wasn't officially divorced. However, the book describes her as being very overweight and almost slovenly. Does anyone know if that is correct?
I hadn't heard Rachel Jackson be described that way before. As to her being very overweight, all I can say is look at this c.1823-1828 portrait of her at the Hermitage and judge for yourself:

[Image: jackson-rachel-631-large.jpg]

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Donna McCreary - 04-15-2018 10:03 AM

I have never heard this particular description of Rachel either. I recall reading that when young, Rachel was a beauty. She obviously became more of a full-figured gal later in life. Rachel was a Presbyterian by faith, and a devote student of the Bible. She is one of my favorite historical characters.

One account that I read reported that Andrew was so bitter about Rachel's death, that he cared little for the social life of the presidency. During his inaugural festivities, things became rowdy, and he allowed folks to take whatever they wanted out of the White House - food, dishes, silverware, furniture - anything they could carry out.

Regarding me having the same sources - - - maybe. It's just nice to put some of the non-Mary Lincoln trivia floating in my head to good use.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 04-15-2018 11:01 AM

Here's an interesting interview with an author about Andrew and Rachel:

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/04/01/andrew-jacksons-tragic-love-story

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 04-15-2018 02:26 PM

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I remember either a book or a movie ca. 1955 about the Jacksons' love affair - just can't remember the title. I do remember the story of Peggy Eaton, however, and how President Jackson took up for her when other "socialite wives" tried to smear her with mud also. See http://www.womenhistoryblog.com › Scandalous Women

The story of the fiasco at the White House followed Jackson's inauguration, I believe. He was very popular and hordes of common folk showed up to party. One version has Jackson actually escaping through a window and going to a hotel for sanctuary.

On a side note, I have been told that Jackson was friends with both Sam Houston and Junius Booth, Sr. and that the three of them had some wild times together out West I once was told that Senior Booth's drinking habits were encouraged by Jackson and Houston and that their familiarity also led to the threat that Booth made against Jackson regarding a stay of execution (?).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 04-15-2018 03:55 PM

I know Booth threatened Jackson over the pardon of some pirates, does anybody know why Booth wanted them pardoned?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 04-15-2018 04:11 PM

(04-15-2018 03:55 PM)Steve Wrote:  I know Booth threatened Jackson over the pardon of some pirates, does anybody know why Booth wanted them pardoned?

This was covered in posts here on this forum in 2013: Another Booth threatens assassination
If the photocopy of the letter is hard to read, here's the transcript:

Brown's Hotel, Philadelphia
July 4th, 1835
You damned old Scoundrel if you don't sign the pardon of your fellow men now under sentence of Death DeRuiz & DeSoto, I will cut your throat whilst you are sleeping, I wrote to you repeated Cautions so look out or damn you I'll have you burnt at the Stake in the City of Washington.

Your Master
Junius Brutus Booth

You know me! Look out!

There's a bit of a story here, however, that many books don't tell you. Mike Kauffman makes it a little clearer in American Brutus: Shortly after coming to America, Junius became friends with both Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson (both of whom were characters in their own right!). He occasionally visited Jackson at his home even. Bill Richter brings this out in Last Confederate Heroes, also. When President Jackson began to change to more autocratic politics, Booth turned against him.

BTW: Jackson did commute the death sentence of those two (accused of piracy), but there were five others in the group who were hanged. Can we say "favoritism?"

Steve - I think others have attributed the letter to Booth's growing inclination towards heavy drinking. Someone even compared his feelings to the anger that arose with many during the OJ Simpson trial.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 04-15-2018 06:41 PM

(04-15-2018 04:11 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(04-15-2018 03:55 PM)Steve Wrote:  I know Booth threatened Jackson over the pardon of some pirates, does anybody know why Booth wanted them pardoned?

This was covered in posts here on this forum in 2013: Another Booth threatens assassination
If the photocopy of the letter is hard to read, here's the transcript:

Brown's Hotel, Philadelphia
July 4th, 1835
You damned old Scoundrel if you don't sign the pardon of your fellow men now under sentence of Death DeRuiz & DeSoto, I will cut your throat whilst you are sleeping, I wrote to you repeated Cautions so look out or damn you I'll have you burnt at the Stake in the City of Washington.

Your Master
Junius Brutus Booth

You know me! Look out!

There's a bit of a story here, however, that many books don't tell you. Mike Kauffman makes it a little clearer in American Brutus: Shortly after coming to America, Junius became friends with both Sam Houston and Andrew Jackson (both of whom were characters in their own right!). He occasionally visited Jackson at his home even. Bill Richter brings this out in Last Confederate Heroes, also. When President Jackson began to change to more autocratic politics, Booth turned against him.

BTW: Jackson did commute the death sentence of those two (accused of piracy), but there were five others in the group who were hanged. Can we say "favoritism?"

Steve - I think others have attributed the letter to Booth's growing inclination towards heavy drinking. Someone even compared his feelings to the anger that arose with many during the OJ Simpson trial.

Here is an article about the pirates (well the crew these two pirates belonged to):

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/don-pedro-last-true-pirate-raid-atlantic-sea/

and a blog post with some more information:

http://paulinespiratesandprivateers.blogspot.com/2010/01/pathetic-pirates-dead-cats-dont-mew.html

The Library of Congress has images of the report of the trial:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/lawlib/law0001/2010/201000173321600/201000173321600.pdf

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Donna McCreary - 04-15-2018 06:56 PM

(04-15-2018 02:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I remember either a book or a movie ca. 1955 about the Jacksons' love affair - just can't remember the title. I do remember the story of Peggy Eaton, however, and how President Jackson took up for her when other "socialite wives" tried to smear her with mud also. See http://www.womenhistoryblog.com › Scandalous Women

The story of the fiasco at the White House followed Jackson's inauguration, I believe. He was very popular and hordes of common folk showed up to party. One version has Jackson actually escaping through a window and going to a hotel for sanctuary.

On a side note, I have been told that Jackson was friends with both Sam Houston and Junius Booth, Sr. and that the three of them had some wild times together out West I once was told that Senior Booth's drinking habits were encouraged by Jackson and Houston and that their familiarity also led to the threat that Booth made against Jackson regarding a stay of execution (?).

Irving Stone made a career out of writing novels about presidents and their wives. In addition to LOVE IS ETERNAL about the Lincolns, Stone wrote THE PRESIDENT'S LADY about Andrew and Rachel Jackson. The movie (same title) was made in the early 1950's. Charlton Heston played Andy Jackson. Susan Hayward played Rachel.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 04-15-2018 07:10 PM

(04-15-2018 06:56 PM)Donna McCreary Wrote:  
(04-15-2018 02:26 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I remember either a book or a movie ca. 1955 about the Jacksons' love affair - just can't remember the title. I do remember the story of Peggy Eaton, however, and how President Jackson took up for her when other "socialite wives" tried to smear her with mud also. See http://www.womenhistoryblog.com › Scandalous Women

Irving Stone made a career out of writing novels about presidents and their wives. In addition to LOVE IS ETERNAL about the Lincolns, Stone wrote THE PRESIDENT'S LADY about Andrew and Rachel Jackson. The movie (same title) was made in the early 1950's. Charlton Heston played Andy Jackson. Susan Hayward played Rachel.

You beat me to the post! I just had the chance to Wikipedia the info. I read both the book and saw the movie. I have always loved Susan Hayward.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 04-15-2018 08:58 PM

Speaking of Charlton Heston and Susan Hayworth

https://www.sartle.com/sites/default/files/images/blog/tumblr_inline_olhgjotX4o1sthg2o_540.png

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 04-16-2018 12:08 PM

Let's speak of Roger B. Taney -- How old was he when he administered the Presidential Oath of Office to President-elect Lincoln?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 04-16-2018 12:54 PM

I'll guess he was 70.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 04-16-2018 01:22 PM

Taney was 83

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 04-17-2018 01:04 PM

Steve, Laurie has login problems, but she asked me to congratulate you - you are right!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 04-17-2018 02:27 PM

The remains of 3 United States Presidents were stored in the public vault at Congressional Cemetery in Washington before being sent home for burial. Who were these 3 Presidents?