Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 08-26-2017 11:46 AM

Unfortunately, Joe, I'm afraid that there are a good number of our current protesters who feel that fighting for one's country and beliefs is ridiculous also. Sometimes, I wonder if they even know what their beliefs and causes are -- and, other than marching and rioting, what their plans are for solving our problems. I believe in constructive actions, not destructive ones.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 09-15-2017 11:10 AM

As a member of the White House Historical Association, I wanted to share this question from the White House Trivia Challenge the Washington Nationals do in the 6th inning of home games. I was at the game Wednesday for $1 Hot Dogs and did not know this trivia bit:

Why did LBJ have the cork floor in the Oval Office replaced with a linoleum floor?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 09-15-2017 11:18 AM

Wild guess - it was Lady Bird's idea and she requested it (?)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 09-15-2017 11:58 AM

LBJ had it replaced because the cork had been ruined by Eisenhower's golf shoes with spikes.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Thomas Kearney - 09-15-2017 02:34 PM

Correct!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 09-15-2017 05:49 PM

(09-15-2017 11:58 AM)L Verge Wrote:  LBJ had it replaced because the cork had been ruined by Eisenhower's golf shoes with spikes.
So spIKE is the true background of Ike...

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 09-15-2017 08:08 PM

(09-15-2017 05:49 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 11:58 AM)L Verge Wrote:  LBJ had it replaced because the cork had been ruined by Eisenhower's golf shoes with spikes.
So spIKE is the true background of Ike...

Wow - great comment, Eva!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 10-05-2017 04:17 PM

If you are a member of the Civil War Round Table of New York, please hold off answering this:

Which President and First Lady had a granddaughter who married into Russian nobility, was present in Petrograd in 1917, and wrote a memoir of her experiences during the Russian Revolution?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 10-05-2017 05:11 PM

Julia Dent Cantacuzène Spiransky-Grant.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Veronica - 10-05-2017 05:14 PM

I've got a riddle concerning 'Harriet Lane'.
Anniversary-Lavinia-Wainwright-Harriet Lane and Lea; to what part of history do I refer too?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 10-05-2017 05:28 PM

Hang on one minute please, Veronica. I'm trying to hand Laurie her backside. This shouldn't take long....

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 10-05-2017 07:31 PM

(10-05-2017 05:11 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Julia Dent Cantacuzène Spiransky-Grant.

Darn! That Yankee done gone and gotten the correct answer...he must have cheated!

I got the question from the current newsletter of the CWRT of NY, which is back at the office - the newsletter that is. When I return to work tomorrow, I will post the extra information -- if the Yankee doesn't beat me to it...

(For those of you who have joined within the past few years, you probably don't know that, in the early days of this forum, Yankee Joe from New Jersey and I, a die-hard Southern Marylander, were constantly sparring in a good Civil War tradition. Truth be told, we are very good friends. And, Rick Smith and I are slowly changing his way of interpreting Civil War history...)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - J. Beckert - 10-05-2017 07:44 PM

I did cheat. And I don't feel bad about it. I have four words, one contraction and two punctuation marks for you, Laurie - Titus Ridgway. We're even.

Love you bunches, honey!! Heart

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 10-06-2017 06:10 AM

(10-05-2017 05:14 PM)Veronica Wrote:  I've got a riddle concerning 'Harriet Lane'.
Anniversary-Lavinia-Wainwright-Harriet Lane and Lea; to what part of history do I refer too?
I'm afraid I have zero clue what you are talking about - could you possibly word it more explicitly? Thank you!

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 10-06-2017 09:31 AM

(10-06-2017 06:10 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 05:14 PM)Veronica Wrote:  I've got a riddle concerning 'Harriet Lane'.
I'm afraid I have zero clue what you are talking about - could you possibly word it more explicitly? Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, Veronica! I am afraid I am like Eva in that your riddle about Harriet Lane is not "sinking in." Can you please explain? Many thanks!