Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia (/thread-615.html)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-06-2017 05:38 PM

I read that but cannot remember more than that it was one of the early presidents - Monroe?
I rarely drink alcohol, and cidre (cider) is one of the very few things in the field the taste of which like at all, precisely Estonian pear cidre which is available during one week in the year only - Kieler Woche (big sailing festival) at an Estonian booth. However, I've never heard of "hard cider" - there's 2% and 4% to my knowledge. Compared to such as the Austrian Stroh Rum that has 80% not much it seems to me.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Anita - 07-06-2017 06:47 PM

John Adams enjoyed it for breakfast but I think other Presidents also enjoyed it.

Eva, in the USA hard cider (hard meaning with alcohol) ranges from about 4% -11%. Can vary.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - L Verge - 07-06-2017 07:03 PM

(07-06-2017 05:35 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  Would it have been Andrew Jackson?

That would have been my first guess also, Rogerm. However, the source that I have says that it was one other President (and others not named).

(07-06-2017 06:47 PM)Anita Wrote:  John Adams enjoyed it for breakfast but I think other Presidents also enjoyed it.

Eva, in the USA hard cider (hard meaning with alcohol) ranges from about 4% -11%. Can vary.

Congratulations, Anita, you're the winner! Those of you who are members of the Surratt Society will see this answer confirmed in the August issue of the Surratt Courier. The President's Message is a quick lesson on the drinking habits of Americans in the early days. I can't remember the whole title of the book that he cites, but the first part is The Alcoholic Republic...

Eva, I'm afraid that the only ciders that I have ever tasted were made from apples. A pear cider sounds very interesting -- perhaps a little lighter?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-07-2017 02:37 AM

A bit like fruity spark wine - but very different from apple cider. (Much better IMO, very refreshing in summer.) It has 4%.
http://www.iucbrands.com/scandi-pear-cider/
The Estonians serve it with dried, salted stint fish.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-08-2017 05:40 AM

Earlier in life, one First Lady wrote this to her husband.

"If you will come home and turn farmer I will be dairy woman and we will grow wealthy."

Who was she?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 07-08-2017 06:10 AM

Julia Grant ?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-08-2017 10:33 AM

Nope, Gene, it was not Julia Grant.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Tom Bogar - 07-08-2017 01:15 PM

Sounds like something Abigail Adams would have said while John was forever in Philadelphia.

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-08-2017 02:04 PM

You know your history, Tom! Kudos! The quote was in a letter from Abigail Adams to John Adams (July 23, 1777).

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Steve - 07-08-2017 02:55 PM

Here's a link to the full text of the letter if anybody is interested:

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Adams/04-02-02-0230

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-15-2017 06:28 AM

This First Lady wrote, "He is a dirty dog."

A. Who was the First Lady?

B. Whom was she referring to?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-15-2017 06:56 AM

Wild guess - Julia Grant about Andrew Johnson? (Despite the words would match Mary Lincoln but I cannot recall her saying exactly this.)

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - RJNorton - 07-15-2017 07:32 AM

Kudos, Eva. It was indeed Mary Lincoln. She wrote this about another person in 1867. Whom was she making reference to?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Gene C - 07-15-2017 07:37 AM

Herndon?

RE: Presidents and First Ladies Trivia - Eva Elisabeth - 07-15-2017 07:38 AM

Herndon?