Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Countdown to July 7 - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Countdown to July 7 (/thread-6.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Countdown to July 7 - Gene C - 09-18-2012 07:41 AM

Roger, that's interesting. What is he source of Rath's comments? I just finished reading Hartranft's letterbook. With the strict rules of the prison, hard to imagine he would let anything like that happen (if he knew about it) If word of that kind of joke and break in the rules got out, they could all be seriously disciplined.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - BettyO - 09-18-2012 07:50 AM

This memoir - if true, indicates Powell's marvelous sense of humor -- however one must remember that there are different conflicts in Rath's memories of the events as an older man.

Rath, later in life, suffered from dementia (Alzheimer's.) In fact, he died with it. I have therefore wondered if a lot of these later recollections were somewhat discolored by his condition; i.e. he also remembered Lew Powell as being a blond, when the boy actually had dark brown hair. Although Powell was basically given a "crew cut" hair cut a few days before he went to the gallows, this could account for the hair follicles appearing lighter in the sunlight and making him appear with lighter hair. Also, the use of pomade in his hair would make his hair appear darker.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - RJNorton - 09-18-2012 08:01 AM

Gene, the entire article is online here.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - Gene C - 09-18-2012 10:28 AM

Thanks Roger, How do you find this stuff?

RE: Countdown to July 7 - RJNorton - 09-18-2012 10:55 AM

Hi Gene. Researching Lincoln has been my retirement hobby since 1996. Because of that I have come upon a lot of articles, etc. that are online. Nevertheless, I am still a rookie at some types of Internet research. However, I have used that article from McClure's in the past, and I knew how to find it from previous experience.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - Rob Wick - 09-18-2012 11:05 AM

If I may, that's where Google Books has really come into play. With Tarbell, I've not only got 36 years of McClure's Magazine downloaded, but also the result of her time at American Magazine as well as the Chautauquan, where she wrote in the 1880s. I also have just about everything she's written with the exception of one edition of her Life of Abraham Lincoln. Google Books, and the Internet Archive. are the researcher's best friends.

Best
Rob

RE: Countdown to July 7 - MaddieM - 09-18-2012 11:22 AM

(09-18-2012 07:50 AM)BettyO Wrote:  This memoir - if true, indicates Powell's marvelous sense of humor -- however one must remember that there are different conflicts in Rath's memories of the events as an older man.

Rath, later in life, suffered from dementia (Alzheimer's.) In fact, he died with it. I have therefore wondered if a lot of these later recollections were somewhat discolored by his condition; i.e. he also remembered Lew Powell as being a blond, when the boy actually had dark brown hair. Although Powell was basically given a "crew cut" hair cut a few days before he went to the gallows, this could account for the hair follicles appearing lighter in the sunlight and making him appear with lighter hair. Also, the use of pomade in his hair would make his hair appear darker.

Could Powell have had mousey hair?

RE: Countdown to July 7 - BettyO - 09-18-2012 11:36 AM

Nope -- according to the family - dark brown. The pomade of course, which he wore up until his arrest, would make it appear even darker (pitch black) -

Without the pomade in prison, it would appear it's natural color of dark, dark brown. With it cut extremely short, it would probably appear lighter - maybe a medium brown with lighter highlights in the sun.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - MaddieM - 09-18-2012 11:48 AM

(09-18-2012 11:36 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Nope -- according to the family - dark brown. The pomade of course, which he wore up until his arrest, would make it appear even darker (pitch black) -

Without the pomade in prison, it would appear it's natural color of dark, dark brown. With it cut extremely short, it would probably appear lighter - maybe a medium brown with lighter highlights in the sun.

His hair looks lighter in some of the photos. Mind you, I think photography in those days did make people look washed out.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - BettyO - 09-18-2012 11:51 AM

It could be the photography - and with the pomade washed out of his hair (after his bath right before the trial) it could appear lighter.... but the family says dark brown. His parents' hair was also dark brown as was his brother George's hair as well..... dark brown hair and pale blue eyes - all of them!

RE: Countdown to July 7 - Jim Garrett - 09-18-2012 08:20 PM

Thanks so much Betty for the pictures. They really are so revealing! I have never seen the straw hat before. I think the contenence on the face of Mrs. Surratt's priest behind her pretty much tells it all.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - BettyO - 09-18-2012 08:42 PM

No problem, Jim. These photos (except for the close up of Powell which I own) were described in detail by John Elliott and Barry Chauchon. The priest standing behind Mrs. Surratt with that dour look on his face is actually one of Powell's clergymen friends, Reverend Augustus P. Stryker.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - LincolnMan - 09-19-2012 08:03 AM

Roger, you mentioned Christian Rath. He was born in Germany but died and is buried in Jackson, Michigan! Although maybe most remembered now for his role in the execution of the Lincoln conspirators, he served honorably in the war itself. Among other things, he was wounded at Antietam in 1862 and became a POW in 1864.

RE: Countdown to July 7 - RJNorton - 09-19-2012 08:36 AM

I did not know that. Vicki and I were in Jackson a couple of times during our "Michigan years," but I never knew that just like I never knew Carl Sandburg once lived in Harbert.

Bill, just out of curiosity, what percentage of Kalamazoo residents do you think know Abraham Lincoln spoke there? (Herndon apparently considered it one of Lincoln's best speeches)

RE: Countdown to July 7 - BettyO - 09-19-2012 08:38 AM

Here's a photo of Rath on General Wilcox's staff at Cold Harbor -- right down the road from where I live....

[Image: sstaffs.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Image: rathonstaffdetail.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us