Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln (/thread-584.html)

Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - Liz Rosenthal - 12-31-2012 10:57 AM

Who here is familiar with this book? It's on my "wish list," but I'm wondering what I should expect. Is it laid out like an encyclopedia, or is there a narrative thread? Or both? How readable is it? Thanks.

RE: Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - RJNorton - 12-31-2012 11:53 AM

Hi Liz. Personally I consider this one of the best Lincoln quote books ever published. Although the book is arranged in alphabetical order by source, it is easy to find quotes on particular topics using the index. The authors grade each quote from "A" (most likely to be authentic) to "E" (probably not authentic). Obviously this is a judgment call on the Fehrenbachers' part, and I am sure historians and experts would probably argue with some of their ratings. Sources are given for all quotes. I really like the book as it contains Lincoln quotes from conversations, diaries, newspapermen, etc. that cannot be found in The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. My young mentor, Dr. Thomas Schwartz, considers the book the second best place to look for a Lincoln quote after checking The Collected Works first. I put this book in a similar category to P.M. Zall's Abe Lincoln Laughing: Humerous Anecdotes From Original Sources by and About Abraham Lincoln. Zall set out to write the definitive source on Lincoln's jokes by disgarding the hundreds of stories attributed to Lincoln without reliable sources. I think both books are very valuable resources to have on a Lincoln bookshelf.

RE: Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - Liz Rosenthal - 12-31-2012 08:07 PM

Thanks for the information! I've now added the Zall book to my wish list!

RE: Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - Rob Wick - 12-31-2012 08:28 PM

I too have the book, and as I've stated before, the cost on the secondary market can be very high. However, it really is a must to anyone seriously wanting to study Lincoln.

Best
Rob

RE: Recollected Words of Abraham Lincoln - LincolnMan - 01-01-2013 08:22 PM

It's a must-and as noted-a bit pricey-but worth the cost.