Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Rare Images of Civil War Found - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Rare Images of Civil War Found (/thread-568.html)

Rare Images of Civil War Found - Rsmyth - 12-17-2012 02:17 PM

While rummaging in my basement I found a rare (circa 1861) Civil War TV. The manufacturer appears to be Philco, a name familiar to some of us old timers. Although one antenna was missing, I was still able to get some images which I would like to share.
[Image: civilwartv.jpg]

The images start right at the begining of the war.

[Image: thecivilwar.jpg]

Below is a rare image of the shelling of Ft. Sumter.

[Image: ftsumter.jpg]

The next picture if of a naval battle and may be a Brady.

[Image: navalbattle.jpg]

The aftermath of battle is seen in this view of Arlington.

[Image: arlington.jpg]

Thankfully the war came to a close.

[Image: appomatox.jpg]

Although the was was comming to a close, the killing was not over.
[Image: presbox.jpg]

This picture of the Presidential box does nothing to solve the mystery of what Major Rathbone was wearing that Good Friday evening. Although Booth appears to be wearing a wig, it is in reality the Treasury Guard flag now on display at the Conneticut Historical Society. From this picture historians will question if Booth really used a derringer. The weapon appears to be an Uzi pistol.

[Image: theassassination.jpg]

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - RJNorton - 12-17-2012 03:09 PM

Phenomenal, Rich. I lean toward Rathbone being in civvies, but I don't know that we'll ever have a definitive answer on that question.

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - JB Banning - 12-17-2012 03:34 PM

Didn't Ferguson say he was dressed in civilian clothes?

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Laurie Verge - 12-17-2012 04:10 PM

I am assuming that this highly acclaimed television producer is your son???

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Rsmyth - 12-17-2012 04:58 PM

Yes, Christopher is now 30 years old.

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - BettyO - 12-17-2012 06:34 PM

Fantastic, Rich!

Thanks!

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - RJNorton - 12-17-2012 06:55 PM

(12-17-2012 03:34 PM)JB Banning Wrote:  Didn't Ferguson say he was dressed in civilian clothes?

Joe, you are correct. Here is one sentence of Ferguson's testimony (from Poore):

"Then the gentleman in citizen's clothes, whom I learned afterwards was Major Rathbone, sat back almost in the corner of the box."

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Jim Page - 12-17-2012 08:10 PM

Amazing and charming!!! Seeing these made my day!!!

--Jim

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - J. Beckert - 12-17-2012 11:10 PM

Yeah. O.K., Rich. Blame it on your kid.

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Gene C - 12-18-2012 07:30 AM

Better than over 95% of whats on TV now.
A real treasure box full of nice memories

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - LincolnMan - 12-18-2012 09:37 AM

Rich, that is precious. I have a set similiar to that drawn by my son Nathan when he was ten years old also. I wonder how many on the Forum caught the "bug" of the Civil War around that age?

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Donna McCreary - 12-18-2012 04:57 PM

Thank you so much for sharing these images. They are incredible, and brought a much needed smile today.

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Mark MacKenzie - 12-18-2012 07:52 PM

Obviously the Civil War Network. I wish I could get that channel.

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - Thomas Thorne - 12-18-2012 09:03 PM

Wonderful Pictures,RichSmile

I was fascinated by Christopher's rendition of JWB's headgear. Treasury guard motif aside-it resembles Hollywood depictions of elite Middle Eastern military units of pre modern times.

What a topical book Christopher could invent from whole cloth: "The Lincoln Assassination and the Middle East." He could take the headgear and the facts that John Surratt fled to Egypt and Lincoln wanted to visit the Holy Land and run with them. The combination of John Wilkes Booth and harems would be irresistible.
Tom

RE: Rare Images of Civil War Found - LincolnMan - 01-12-2013 09:20 AM

Speaking of a less important rare image of the Civil War, it has been discovered that due to storm activity in the Gulf of Mexico, the USS Hatteras is now visible to divers. The Union gunboat was sunk during a confrontation with the Confederate ship Alabama. It is in 57 feet of water-and until now has been embedded in muck. It is thought that the ship will be once again covered with sand in a very short time. The USS Hatteras was the only Union gunboat sunk in the Gulf of Mexico.