Lincoln Discussion Symposium
California will issue a formal apology for being complicit in slavery - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: California will issue a formal apology for being complicit in slavery (/thread-4999.html)

California will issue a formal apology for being complicit in slavery - David Lockmiller - 09-27-2024 11:03 AM

The New York Times reported today:

California will issue a formal apology for being complicit in slavery during the 19th century and for enforcing segregationist policies against Black residents as one of several new laws that Gov. Gavin Newsom signed on Thursday to atone for the state’s past discriminatory treatment of African Americans.

Last year, California became the first state in the country to explore concrete restitution for historical racism. A state reparations task force last year determined, among other acts, that California courts had enforced fugitive slave laws and that more than 2,000 enslaved people were brought to California even after it was admitted as a free state in 1850.

As I recall, President Lincoln also "had enforced fugitive slave laws." But as President Lincoln himself noted: "[B]efore I could have any power whatsoever, I had to take the oath to support the Constitution of the United States, and execute the laws as I found them.

RE: California will issue a formal apology for being complicit in slavery - LincolnMan - Today 05:37 AM

As it has been said by many and now I repeat: No one alive owned slave and there are no living slaves today. The whole effort is but a another tax on those who are already over taxed. Besides that, it would be impossible to sort out anyway. I have over 20 Union ancestors. One of them died in service. Is there a consideration for that? I also have no slave holders in my genealogy. Is there consideration for that? I also am a Vietnam veteran. Does that count for anything?