Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Where would you find this opinion? - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Where would you find this opinion? (/thread-4632.html)

Pages: 1 2

Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-25-2022 03:27 PM

Who noted that ....

When Lincoln nobly decided to receive ambassadors from the negro republics of Haiti and Liberia, he renounced from that day forward the unworthy prejudice which refuses the rights of humanity to people on account of their colour.

( To make Googling difficult I've deliberately paraphrased, only slightly, the wording. I think the basic thrust is still there though)

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - RJNorton - 03-25-2022 04:27 PM

His first Vice-President - Hannibal Hamlin?

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-25-2022 07:01 PM

Sorry, Roger, not Mr Hamlin. But you get another clue.
The comments were formally expressed by a group of people. When? Well, after the formality I assume they sang the words of a Robert Burns poem. Does that help. ... probably not.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-25-2022 09:31 PM

Ok, if I said an associated clue is

"a polymer consisting of a long chain of glucose molecules linked by C-1 to C-4 oxygen bridges"

that may help more ?

Ok, one more clue ... Lincoln looks as if he has stomach ache.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - RJNorton - 03-26-2022 04:56 AM

Could it be Charles Darwin?

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 05:15 AM

That's a closer answer, Roger. Correct nationality. But it wasn't one person, it was a group.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 07:00 AM

I mentioned (sort of) that the location for the expression of the sentiment was a city where Lincoln appears to have stomach ache .

However, there are several other cities where Lincoln can be seen in that position. Robert didnt like it much of course.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - David Lockmiller - 03-26-2022 11:53 AM

Diplomatic recognition of Haiti and Liberia had long been resisted on the grounds that those nations might send blacks to represent them at Washington. Lincoln, however, did not object to that possibility. When James Redpath told him that President Fabre Nicolas Geffrard of Haiti was willing to appoint a white representative rather than a black one to Washington, Lincoln replied: "Well -- you can tell Mr. Geffrard that I shan't tear my shirt if he does send a negro here!" [footnote 136, citing as reference Washington correspondence by Van [D. W. Bartlett], 24 June, Springfield, Massachusetts, Republican, 27 June 1862.] (The Haitian government appointed a black army colonel, Ernest Roumain, as its first minister to the United States.)

Abraham Lincoln: A Life, Vol. Two, p. 351, by Professor Michael Burlingame.

I presume that "I shan't tear my shirt" may be a reference to Robert Burns' poem, but I do not know.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - Gene C - 03-26-2022 01:03 PM

I don't know about Robert Burns, but in the Bible, to tear (rent) one's clothing was a sign of mourning or distress

"11 Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the nation of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword."
(2 Samuel 1:11-12)

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 01:17 PM

A disaster in a German city in 1958 has a link to the answer.

( Googling is allowed. I only suggested it would be difficult)

(03-26-2022 01:03 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I don't know about Robert Burns, but in the Bible, to tear (rent) one's clothing was a sign of mourning or distress

"11 Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and for the nation of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword."
(2 Samuel 1:11-12)

The reference to Burns poem only relates to the date of the original formal documentation.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - RJNorton - 03-26-2022 01:32 PM

Edward Hooson?

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 01:36 PM

(03-26-2022 01:32 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Edward Hooson?

Roger, I was of a mind to congratulate you but you're not quite there yet.

try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSJGrpfnOI

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - RJNorton - 03-26-2022 01:56 PM

The Ladies' London Emancipation Society?

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 02:01 PM

Nope, not that Society. You've moved South ... go back North.

( Dont get hung up on the 'disaster' issue, its just that I like the clip ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvFqVgz1AGo )

Lincoln responded by saying he regarded the communication as an instance of sublime Christian heroism which has not been surpassed in any age or in any country.

RE: Where would you find this opinion? - AussieMick - 03-26-2022 03:04 PM

(03-26-2022 03:00 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(03-26-2022 01:17 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  A disaster in a German city in 1958 has a link to the answer.

( Googling is allowed. I only suggested it would be difficult)

Munich ?
as in The Munich Air Disaster of 1958

Yes, Gene ... thats the one . And thus you should be able to get the linked UK city ( I think Roger got it)