Lincoln Discussion Symposium
John Howard - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: John Howard (/thread-4574.html)

Pages: 1 2

John Howard - Jim Garrett - 11-01-2021 12:37 PM

John Howard, a longtime friend of the Surratt Society and tour guide for the Booth Escape Route Tours is critically ill. He was suffered multiple heart attacks in the last week and is in the Critical Care Unit at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital.

Please keep John in your thoughts and prayers

RE: John Howard - RJNorton - 11-01-2021 02:42 PM

That is sad news, Jim. We all hope for a positive outcome. John is a member here, and has posted using the name Francis Farrell.

RE: John Howard - Steve - 11-01-2021 06:20 PM

This is sad to hear. I second Roger in hoping for a positive outcome.

RE: John Howard - Eva Elisabeth - 11-01-2021 08:40 PM

I, too, am sad to hear this and wish him all the best!!

RE: John Howard - Rob Wick - 11-01-2021 08:55 PM

Hopeful for a complete recovery. Best wishes John!

Best
Rob

RE: John Howard - Jim Garrett - 11-02-2021 07:42 PM

I am heartbroken to report that my best friend, John Howard has passed away.

RE: John Howard - wpbinzel - 11-03-2021 10:23 PM

John was a very good friend, and we spent many hours together on BERT buses, and made it a point to have dinner together afterwards. I will miss him, but will forever be grateful that I knew him and that we were friends.

RE: John Howard - Steve - 11-04-2021 01:23 AM

I am sorry to hear of his passing.

RE: John Howard - LincolnMan - 11-04-2021 07:35 AM

So sorry for your loss Jim.

RE: John Howard - STS Lincolnite - 11-04-2021 09:59 AM

I missed the original post and am shocked and heartbroken to learn of John's passing. John was one of the group of us who sat around the lobby of the Colony South Hotel on the Friday before the Surratt Conference each year and "swapped stories." John gave me some valued advice that I have put to use in some of the projects I have been working on. John was a friend and will be greatly missed.

RE: John Howard - BettyO - 11-04-2021 11:56 AM

So very sorry to hear of John's passing. He will be deeply missed - a wonderful scholar and gentleman...

RE: John Howard - RJNorton - 11-04-2021 04:01 PM

Many thanks to Bill Binzel for sending this photo. Bill writes, "From left to right, it's John Howard, Bill Richter, Fred Hatch, and Richard Sloan. I took the picture in 2012, and one of the reasons I think it special is that it was taken at the site of the Garrett farmhouse in Caroline County, VA, a site that is now closed to the public."

[Image: Garrett Farm 2012.JPG]

RE: John Howard - Rob Wick - 11-04-2021 08:50 PM

Saddened to hear of John's passing. My sympathies to his family and all those who knew him.

Best
Rob

RE: John Howard - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2021 10:34 AM

I second everyone - I am so shocked and sorry to read this. He was the most fantastic and knowledgeable tour guide on the BERT tour I took in 2015. Michael Kauffman was booked to lead the tour but canceled at last minute, and John took over. While I originally had been looking forward to the VIP, I afterwards was happy he didn't come - John was unbeatable in both, the depth of information he presented and the passionate way he did it.

RE: John Howard - Susan Higginbotham - 11-06-2021 12:30 PM

Very sorry to hear this.