Lincoln Discussion Symposium
New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Abraham Lincoln's Legacy (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 (/thread-4475.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - RJNorton - 03-23-2021 05:06 AM

I second Anita and Rob. Although the series contained a few errors, I think it did a good job of presenting Lincoln in a balanced and fair manner. An effort was made to humanize the man, and I think this was highly successful.

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - RJNorton - 06-21-2021 05:13 PM

Kudos to Scott Schroeder (STS Lincolnite on this forum) for his excellent review of this series in the current edition of For The People (newsletter of the Abraham Lincoln Association).

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - Anita - 06-21-2021 06:33 PM

(06-21-2021 05:13 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos to Scott Schroeder (STS Lincolnite on this forum) for his excellent review of this series in the current edition of For The People (newsletter of the Abraham Lincoln Association).

I want to also add my kudos to Scott.

As he writes at the end of his concluding paragraph " Consideration of those differing points of view will hopefully spur ongoing dialogue and discussion about Lincoln and his role in the forming of America that we know today. The fact is, we can probably never learn the "truth" of history. But we can still hope to learn from history by continually examining and re-examining what we know. Or maybe more accurately, by examining what we think we know. The varying perspectives presented in "Lincoln:Divided We Stand" contribute to that ongoing process."

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - LincolnMan - 06-22-2021 09:11 AM

Agree totally. Well said.

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - David Lockmiller - 06-22-2021 01:13 PM

(06-21-2021 06:33 PM)Anita Wrote:  The fact is, we can probably never learn the "truth" of history.

Right now, there seems to be too many variations on the truth.

Yesterday, I dropped by the memorial to Francis Scott Keys that had been vandalized by protesters. The statue of Keys had been removed to storage. I saw on the local news the night before that an art installation representing the last slave shipment to United States now surrounded the giant pedestal for the statue. There were 350 exact duplicate standing art slaves surrounding the pedestal.

As I was taking photographs, a group of three (white) approached and a woman was espousing the merits of the 1619 Project.

I pointed out to her that the same protesters who tore down the statue of Keys for his association with slavery also had torn down the nearby statue bust of General Grant. I noted for the benefit of the group that "were it not for General Grant, all of the slaves would not have been set free."

That statement made little difference to the lady in question. So, I also pointed out to her that it was black tribes in Africa who were the ones who initially enslaved their own black ancestors and killed many in doing so. In short, I was saying that there would have been no slave trade at all without this contribution to the slave trade. This statement also did not make any difference to her.

As I walked away, I ended the conversation by saying: "History should be the truth, as it happened."

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - STS Lincolnite - 06-24-2021 10:43 AM

Thanks for the kind words about the review I wrote.

Probably lots more I could have delved into, but max word count you know! Wink

RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14 - LincolnMan - 09-29-2021 04:31 AM

I am just now seeing the series. Better late than never! Very well done. Have seen the first two parts. I am keeping in mind the intended audience for the series and I say “Bravo!”