Lincoln Discussion Symposium
It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Books - over 15,000 to discuss (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) (/thread-3913.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - mikegriffith1 - 12-16-2018 10:33 AM

I just finished reading Robert Lockwood Mills' excellent book It Didn't Happen the Way You Think: The Lincoln Assassination: What the Experts Missed (Heritage Books, 1994). This is one of the most thoughtful, insightful, and analytical books on the case that I have read so far.

Mills is a former investment banker and stage actor who became interested in writing on historical subjects. He was the project editor for five books on historical subjects published by Reader's Digest, and he produced a docudrama on the Lincoln assassination that was broadcast on Connecticut Public Radio.

Mills picks up where Eisenschiml left off. Mills' book is by far the best defense of Eisenschiml's work that I have read to date. Among other things, Mills addresses many of the arguments of Eisenschiml's critics, especially William Hanchett's criticisms. Mills mentions facts that I have not seen discussed in any other book.

I find it curious and unfortunate that so much attention has been given to sensationalist and badly flawed books like Finnis Bates' The Escape and Suicide of John Wilkes Booth, but that so little attention has been given to Mill's careful, sober, and thorough book.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Gene C - 12-16-2018 11:46 AM

As I post this, the price for the book mentioned above is a bit steep at $794.77 for a used paperback.
I hope you were able to find a less expensive copy Mike.

https://www.amazon.com/Didnt-Happen-Way-Think-Assassination/dp/078840119X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544974883&sr=8-3&keywords=robert+lockwood+mills

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - RJNorton - 12-16-2018 11:51 AM

(12-16-2018 10:33 AM)mikegriffith1 Wrote:  Mills mentions facts that I have not seen discussed in any other book.

Do you feel John Mathews' letter never existed?

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - davg2000 - 12-16-2018 01:11 PM

Yes, $794.77 for a used paperback copy of Mills's book, from a third-party seller. No reference to it at all on Barnes and Noble's website. Mills’s book may be “careful, sober, and thorough,” but apparently not enough people have agreed with Mr. Griffith in twenty-four years to sustain the book’s existence in print. And, at that price, I’m afraid I will not be getting this book for Christmas. Tsk.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - L Verge - 12-16-2018 01:11 PM

(12-16-2018 11:46 AM)Gene C Wrote:  As I post this, the price for the book mentioned above is a bit steep at $794.77 for a used paperback.

https://www.amazon.com/Didnt-Happen-Way-Think-Assassination/dp/078840119X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544974883&sr=8-3&keywords=robert+lockwood+mills

Now that I have recovered from a dead faint after seeing the ridiculous sum that two dealers are asking for that book, I would buy Dr. Arnold's book and theories before I would this one. Joan Chaconas and I spent many hours working with Robert Mills when he was putting his ideas together, and the book turned out worse than we even suspected.

And for Mr. Griffith's information, we did attempt to sell it in the gift shop at Surratt House, but only a few people bought it (the book and the theories). In fact, one buyer brought the book back a few weeks after purchasing it and wanted to know if he could get his money back.

We maintained some contact with Bob for a while, but he had moved on to other subjects. One highlight (or lowlight) of his speaking engagements on the book came at a meeting of the Lincoln Group of D.C. when he invited himself to speak.

Bob was a very loquacious and "dynamic" speaker (even in general conversations). As mentioned above, he had also attempted stage acting at one point. When he took the podium that night at Ft. McNair (where the group met at the Officers' Club which is within fifty feet of the site of the spot where the four conspirators were hanged ion July 7, 1865 - and now tennis courts), there was no holding him back.

The LGDC was and is a very distinguished group of Lincoln scholars and enthusiasts, many of whom then and now cast disparaging eyes on those of us who are interested in the assassination. Bob's presentation certainly did not help the situation, and he lost control completely by feeling compelled to act out certain points. When he moved to where he had more space and dropped to the floor to enact the assassination, the curtain might as well have fallen at that point. If only he had brought a rocking chair to be more accurate...

He recovered and took the podium again, facing the stone-cold stares of the audience. Within five minutes, he took on the military court issue. That was the end. Shortly, a retired JAG officer and visiting professor of law at GWU who was working on a book related to CW justice as well as being a member of the Surratt Society stood up and announced that he could take no more of this "pure ----" (expletive deleted), grabbed his coat and stomped out of the building. Several other folks followed.

Bob saw good reason to draw his conclusions to a close, no one entertained any questions, the president closed the meeting, and everyone left with buzzings uttered under their breath. What was it that Lincoln said about fooling people??? Maybe I should send this to at least those booksellers (and someone else) who are attempting to fool people into paying such a ridiculous price for Bob's book. 75 cents would be my top bid - and, I liked Robert Lockwood Mills as a person.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Steve - 12-16-2018 05:21 PM

Love the name of the $794.77 seller, "Chris's Bargains"! And the $1,099.99 seller (for those people who just won't spend $1,100 or more) charges an additional $3.99 for postage!

Realistically, one or both of these sellers may be scammers who may not even have a copy of the book. Just take a $1,100 book - (Amazon commission + $.01) = PAYDAY! And then skip town before a refund is asked for!

If anybody out there is actually interested in the book, this site has it for sale for the "cheap" price of $129:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=happen+way+think+lincoln+assassination&sortby=17&n=100121503

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - L Verge - 12-16-2018 05:29 PM

(12-16-2018 05:21 PM)Steve Wrote:  Love the name of the $794.77 seller, "Chris's Bargains"! And the $1,099.99 seller (for those people who just won't spend $1,100 or more) charges an additional $3.99 for postage!

Realistically, one or both of these sellers may be scammers who may not even have a copy of the book. Just take a $1,100 book - (Amazon commission + $.01) = PAYDAY! And then skip town before a refund is asked for!

If anybody out there is actually interested in the book, this site has it for sale for the "cheap" price of $129:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=happen+way+think+lincoln+assassination&sortby=17&n=100121503

I can't believe that abebooks would ask such a ridiculous price either. I always thought they were a good, reputable source.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - mikegriffith1 - 12-16-2018 09:15 PM

(12-16-2018 11:46 AM)Gene C Wrote:  As I post this, the price for the book mentioned above is a bit steep at $794.77 for a used paperback.

$797??? That's nuts! I got mine for $50 on AbeBooks.com.

I'm trying to contact Mills to see if he'll allow me to scan the book and post it as a PDF.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Susan Higginbotham - 12-17-2018 10:28 AM

(12-16-2018 05:29 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 05:21 PM)Steve Wrote:  Love the name of the $794.77 seller, "Chris's Bargains"! And the $1,099.99 seller (for those people who just won't spend $1,100 or more) charges an additional $3.99 for postage!

I can't believe that abebooks would ask such a ridiculous price either. I always thought they were a good, reputable source.

Second-hand sellers on Amazon and Abebooks can ask all sorts of ridiculous prices for their books. I've seen used copies of mine going for three figures; I doubt they get any takers.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - mikegriffith1 - 12-17-2018 05:39 PM

(12-16-2018 01:11 PM)davg2000 Wrote:  Yes, $794.77 for a used paperback copy of Mills's book, from a third-party seller. No reference to it at all on Barnes and Noble's website. Mills’s book may be “careful, sober, and thorough,” but apparently not enough people have agreed with Mr. Griffith in twenty-four years to sustain the book’s existence in print. And, at that price, I’m afraid I will not be getting this book for Christmas. Tsk.

Yeah, why take the risk of reading something that will challenge your position? No need for that, right? Who needs to read both sides of an issue anyway? Just read what you know agrees with your view, and nothing else. Stay in your safe space, your echo chamber.

By the way, the book sold out its printing. And the reason it is so expensive is precisely because there are so few second-hand copies left, which indicates that when the book hit the used-book market, many copies were bought and not many are left. Used-book sellers usually do not set high prices on used books that are not considered valuable. If they do and there are no takers, the price starts to drop. That hasn't happened with Mills' book yet.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Gene C - 12-17-2018 06:04 PM

(12-17-2018 05:39 PM)mikegriffith1 Wrote:  Yeah, why take the risk of reading something that will challenge your position? No need for that, right? Who needs to read both sides of an issue anyway? Just read what you know agrees with your view, and nothing else. Stay in your safe space, your echo chamber.

Is that the best you can do?
That's the kind of answer that someone gives when their position is challenged and they do not have adequate knowledge to defend their side of the discussion,
and/or their misleading and out of context statements have been challenged.

Several of us have read and even own many of the books you highly acclaim, but we disagree with them.
Another of your responses that does not measure up with the facts.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - AussieMick - 12-17-2018 06:15 PM

$794.77 ? Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but that's a very weird sort of a price isnt it?
I mean I can understand maybe $799.99. In Australia we dont have one cent coins anymore, but there are many things priced at $7.99 or 1.99 ... and so on. When you come to pay for one of those single items you hand over $8 (or $2, whatever). And you dont get any change. Its the way it is.

But, $794.77 ??? what's with the 77 cents? an afterthought? is it to make it look better than $795? Then why not $794.99 ?

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - JMadonna - 12-17-2018 09:27 PM

(12-17-2018 06:15 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  $794.77 ? Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but that's a very weird sort of a price isnt it?
I mean I can understand maybe $799.99. In Australia we dont have one cent coins anymore, but there are many things priced at $7.99 or 1.99 ... and so on. When you come to pay for one of those single items you hand over $8 (or $2, whatever). And you dont get any change. Its the way it is.

But, $794.77 ??? what's with the 77 cents? an afterthought? is it to make it look better than $795? Then why not $794.99 ?

Must have been trying to undercut the guy who was asking $794.78

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - davg2000 - 12-18-2018 09:35 AM

(12-17-2018 05:39 PM)mikegriffith1 Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 01:11 PM)davg2000 Wrote:  Yes, $794.77 for a used paperback copy of Mills's book, from a third-party seller. No reference to it at all on Barnes and Noble's website. Mills’s book may be “careful, sober, and thorough,” but apparently not enough people have agreed with Mr. Griffith in twenty-four years to sustain the book’s existence in print. And, at that price, I’m afraid I will not be getting this book for Christmas. Tsk.

Yeah, why take the risk of reading something that will challenge your position? No need for that, right? Who needs to read both sides of an issue anyway? Just read what you know agrees with your view, and nothing else. Stay in your safe space, your echo chamber.

By the way, the book sold out its printing. And the reason it is so expensive is precisely because there are so few second-hand copies left, which indicates that when the book hit the used-book market, many copies were bought and not many are left. Used-book sellers usually do not set high prices on used books that are not considered valuable. If they do and there are no takers, the price starts to drop. That hasn't happened with Mills' book yet.

If I were you, Mike, and owned this gem which I paid $50 (!) for, I'd contact several used book sellers and let them know what I had. I see a chance to make money. By the way, I just checked, and I see that Amazon now says that the book is "currently unavailable." I'd get on this. Opportunity here.

RE: It Didn't Happen the Way You Think (by Robert Lockwood Mills) - Warren - 12-18-2018 10:28 AM

Maybe all those prices are in Confederate money.