Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln in white - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln in white (/thread-37.html)

Lincoln in white - Joe Di Cola - 07-08-2012 06:26 PM

On two occasions Lincoln was photographed wearing a white suit.
Where were the photos taken?
On what dates were they taken?
Who were the photographers?

RE: Lincoln in white - J. Beckert - 07-08-2012 08:01 PM

O.K., Joe. I'm dead set against Googling this stuff, but I'm familiar with both photos. I don't have all the info, but this is what I know. One was outside his Springfield home in 1860 with a large crowd after his nomination, I believe. Mary and one of his children can be seen in the windows. The other was a formal photograph after a court case in Illinois.

RE: Lincoln in white - Joe Di Cola - 07-08-2012 09:15 PM

(07-08-2012 08:01 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  O.K., Joe. I'm dead set against Googling this stuff, but I'm familiar with both photos. I don't have all the info, but this is what I know. One was outside his Springfield home in 1860 with a large crowd after his nomination, I believe. Mary and one of his children can be seen in the windows. The other was a formal photograph after a court case in Illinois.

Superb! -- especially on the 1860 photo at the rally in front of his home. And, you are on target with the 1858 photo--taken in Beardstown, IL after he successfully defended Duff Armstrong in the famous "Almanac" trial. The May 7, 1858 photo was taken by Abraham Byers, and the 1860 photo was by William Shaw.
Thanks for responding.

RE: Lincoln in white - L Verge - 07-08-2012 09:35 PM

Wow! Me thinks we have two Lincoln photograph experts on this forum...
This was something new to me because I don't remember ever seeing either photo and can't imagine Mr. L. in white.

RE: Lincoln in white - J. Beckert - 07-08-2012 10:01 PM

Rats!! That could have been the "Stump the Yankee" question that made me (If only for a minute) smarter than Laurie Verge!

RE: Lincoln in white - Laurie Verge - 07-09-2012 09:15 AM

Trust me, Joe, in general Lincoln history, it doesn't take much to be smarter than I!

RE: Lincoln in white - BettyO - 07-09-2012 02:19 PM

OK - I cheated.....I have seen the photo of Lincoln in the white suit -- I Googled it and supposedly it is an ambrotype taken in 1858.

RE: Lincoln in white - LincolnMan - 07-27-2012 04:18 PM

I knew about Lincoln on the porch of his Springfield home but not the other one. Nice!

RE: Lincoln in white - L Verge - 07-27-2012 09:35 PM

I know our Lincoln experts will get this one right away, but did Mr. Lincoln play a musical instrument and if so, which one?

RE: Lincoln in white - J. Beckert - 07-27-2012 09:52 PM

Lincoln experts? Sit down, folks. Let the ham & egger take this one. The Jew's harp. What did I win?

RE: Lincoln in white - Donna McCreary - 07-27-2012 10:07 PM

When researching Lincoln's attire, I found referances to him wearing many different colors. In addition to the white linen suits (and they would have been made of linen for summer wear) there is also documentation which states Lincoln wore a blue linen suit with brass military style buttons during one of the debates with Douglas. During the White House years, Lincoln wore a waistcoats of a variety of colors including black, gold, blue, white, and my personal favorite - maroon.

RE: Lincoln in white - J. Beckert - 07-27-2012 10:13 PM

That's very interesting, Donna. I recently saw something about Lincoln wearing white suits and a straw hat while at The Soldier's Home. Maybe he wasn't photographed wearing such things as it wasn't thought formal enough for a President.

RE: Lincoln in white - RJNorton - 07-28-2012 04:49 AM

This drawing (from Lorant's book) was done by a Frenchman named Pierre Morand. Morand had moved to the United States, and he became acquainted with Lincoln after the Civil War began. Although he was not a professional, he made several sketches of the president. This one shows Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home where the Lincolns spent the summer months.

[Image: french1.jpg]

RE: Lincoln in white - LincolnMan - 07-28-2012 07:03 AM

The artist you mention Roger also did a drawing of Abraham and Mary walking together.

RE: Lincoln in white - Donna McCreary - 07-28-2012 11:18 PM

I love the sketch of President Lincoln. What I noticed is that the waist coat is unbuttoned.