Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Relics - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Assassination (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Relics (/thread-3679.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Relics - L Verge - 04-03-2018 04:52 PM

(04-03-2018 02:19 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Collector's expanded Lincoln relics on display at Joplin museum

http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/collector-s-expanded-lincoln-relics-on-display-at-joplin-museum/article_50ccea70-8c8f-54f1-9890-4885a2d4b20b.html

Poor Mr. Shirley is likely another victim of the "own a strand of Mary Surratt's hair" scam. Wonder if he got the photo of the horse-faced woman to go along with it? (Pardon my sarcasm, but I had hoped that this story had finally calmed down).

Assuming that the Joplin Globe is published in Joplin, Missouri, I think folks from the Show Me state should ask for definite proof.

Also, I don't recall ever hearing of Mrs. Lincoln's hair being sold.

RE: Relics - Rsmyth - 04-04-2018 07:18 AM

The 1909 penny is fairly common. It is the 1909 SVDB that is rare.

RE: Relics - Juan Marrero - 06-15-2023 01:29 PM

Was the piece or plank of the music stand used by Booth to block entry into the combined boxes preserved? I remember seeing at Ford's Theater the door with the peephole, but do not recall seeing the music stand remnant.

RE: Relics - Dennis Urban - 06-16-2023 09:59 AM

Juan, the last time I visited Ford's Theatre was in 2016. I do recall seeing the vertical upright post from the music stand on display. It's a relatively square dark piece of wood which connected the base with the slanted podium. I remember that the piece was originally taken by a souvenir hunter who cut off a few inches of the lower portion of the post before turning it in to the authorities as evidence. I thought I had a photo of it but I do not. I know I've seen a photo pf it somewhere; maybe in the Library of Congress photo section.

RE: Relics - Juan Marrero - 06-17-2023 05:45 PM

(06-16-2023 09:59 AM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Juan, the last time I visited Ford's Theatre was in 2016. I do recall seeing the vertical upright post from the music stand on display. It's a relatively square dark piece of wood which connected the base with the slanted podium. I remember that the piece was originally taken by a souvenir hunter who cut off a few inches of the lower portion of the post before turning it in to the authorities as evidence. I thought I had a photo of it but I do not. I know I've seen a photo pf it somewhere; maybe in the Library of Congress photo section.

Thank you! I must have seen it a Ford's Theater as well. There are so many truly extraordinary relics that even this significant one can be overlooked. I will look for it next time I am there.

RE: Relics - J. Beckert - 06-18-2023 12:02 PM

[Image: 56180c60b9eb8.image.jpg]

RE: Relics - Anita - 06-18-2023 03:07 PM

Great image. Thanks! Was this evidence in the trial of the conspirators?

RE: Relics - RJNorton - 06-19-2023 05:44 AM

(06-18-2023 03:07 PM)Anita Wrote:  Was this evidence in the trial of the conspirators?

Anita -

Henry Rathbone testified, "On reaching the outer door of the passage way, I found it barred by a heavy piece of plank, one end of which was secured in the wall, and the other resting against the door. It had been so securely fastened that it required considerable force to remove it. This wedge or bar was about four feet from the floor. Persons upon the outside were beating against the door for the purpose of entering. I removed the bar, and the door was opened." (from Benn Pitman's trial transcript.)

Isaac Jacquette testified, "I was present at Ford’s Theater on the night of the assassination. Soon after the President was carried out, I went to the box with several others.

[A wooden bar, about two inches square and three feet long, was handed to the witness.]

This wooden bar was lying on the floor inside of the first door going into the box. I picked it up and took it home with me. There was an officer stopping at my boarding house, and he wanted a piece of it, which I sawed off for him, but he concluded afterward not to take it. It is nearly covered with spots of blood which were fresh at the time when I found it."

[The bar was offered in evidence.]

(from Benn Pitman's trial transcript.)

There may be other instances where the bar was mentioned in the trial. These are just two.

RE: Relics - Anita - 06-20-2023 03:46 PM

Thanks Roger.

Hard to keep track of all who went into the box after Lincoln was removed. Jacquette states he was in the box with several others. What happened to the piece of wood that was sawed off- a relic on eBay?

RE: Relics - Gene C - 06-20-2023 08:17 PM

I can send you a replica of the 4" sawed off piece of the music stand for only $39.99 plus shipping and handling.
(Ask about our quantity discount)
Rolleyes

RE: Relics - Anita - 06-21-2023 01:16 PM

(06-20-2023 08:17 PM)Gene C Wrote:  I can send you a replica of the 4" sawed off piece of the music stand for only $39.99 plus shipping and handling.
(Ask about our quantity discount)
Rolleyes
That's a great price Gene. Does it come with a Certificate of Authenticity?

RE: Relics - Gene C - 06-22-2023 07:13 AM

I'm glad you asked that.
For only an additional $!2.99, your replica of of the 4" sawed off piece of the music stand comes with an authentic certificate, suitable for framing. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

You may be interested in our lasted offering.
A real, 2 oz. soil sample from the site of Lincoln's general store from the Village of New Salem. Imagine owning soil from the very spot Lincoln may have walked on.
Be the first on your street to own this fabulous relic of a simpler time, and of an important turning point in the life of our countries most famous president.
People will point and stare at you, they'll shake their heads in amazement when they learn that you have purchased this priceless piece of history
Hurry and order now, quantities are limited.

Here's a photo of our hard working crew toiling tirelessly to retrieve only the highest quality item for your collection.
https://media2.fdncms.com/illinoistimes/imager/u/blog/11411590/22899.jpg?cb=1567548839

RE: Relics - Dennis Urban - 06-23-2023 04:19 PM

(06-22-2023 07:13 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I'm glad you asked that.
For only an additional $!2.99, your replica of of the 4" sawed off piece of the music stand comes with an authentic certificate, suitable for framing. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

You may be interested in our lasted offering.
A real, 2 oz. soil sample from the site of Lincoln's general store from the Village of New Salem. Imagine owning soil from the very spot Lincoln may have walked on.
Be the first on your street to own this fabulous relic of a simpler time, and of an important turning point in the life of our countries most famous president.
People will point and stare at you, they'll shake their heads in amazement when they learn that you have purchased this priceless piece of history
Hurry and order now, quantities are limited.

Here's a photo of our hard working crew toiling tirelessly to retrieve only the highest quality item for your collection.
https://media2.fdncms.com/illinoistimes/imager/u/blog/11411590/22899.jpg?cb=1567548839
Is there a complimentary bridge from a major East Coast city provided with the order?

RE: Relics - Gene C - 06-23-2023 04:54 PM

(06-23-2023 04:19 PM)Dennis Urban Wrote:  Is there a complimentary bridge from a major East Coast city provided with the order?

We felt the shipping and handling was cost prohibitive for our target market.
Smile

RE: Relics - Anita - 06-23-2023 05:35 PM

I will buy the wood relic and the New Salem dirt. I have a special request. Can you also include seeds from a living Lincoln witness tree? I'll plant the seeds in the dirt. Please give me your best price.