Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Lincoln's beard - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Lincoln's beard (/thread-3645.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-10-2018 05:29 PM

What is the connection between his beard (especially its length) and Williamstown?

(You are going to need Google, I think)

RE: Lincoln's beard - L Verge - 02-10-2018 07:14 PM

My first guess without cheating would be that Williamstown was the home of Grace Bedell?

RE: Lincoln's beard - Joe Di Cola - 02-10-2018 08:05 PM

Grace Bedell was from Westfield, NY and it was there that Lincoln greeted her on his way to Washington.

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-10-2018 09:07 PM

(sorry for delay ... shopping) No ... I was thinking of linking it to Grace but, no, nothing to do her. Its closer to home.
And when I say "Lincoln's beard" , maybe I'm stretching it somewhat.

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-11-2018 03:47 PM

Come on people ... think laterally. When I wrote 'closer to home' : that refers to Williamstown.

And 'stretching it' refers to the length of the beard.

Anybody?

RE: Lincoln's beard - RJNorton - 02-11-2018 04:15 PM

Michael, I am clueless. We are to find a connection between the length of Lincoln's beard and Williamstown, Victoria, Australia?

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-11-2018 06:17 PM

(02-11-2018 04:15 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Michael, I am clueless. We are to find a connection between the length of Lincoln's beard and Williamstown, Victoria, Australia?

Yep, you got that part, Roger. Well done. Williamstown, Victoria, Australia .

Now, the beard. Except its not. If you know what I mean.
If it were more like that of Edward Bates, then there would be a definite link to Williamstown.

RE: Lincoln's beard - Eva Elisabeth - 02-11-2018 09:44 PM

The only I could find is this, but since there are probably thousands of photos depicting men with "Lincoln beards" out in the world's archives and albums I doubt this is the answer.
https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5a248a5b21ea6921e8eafada

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-12-2018 02:29 AM

Eva, that man's church is 10 minutes by car from me. Other than that ... you're off course.

As far as style is concerned, Lincoln's beard was classified as a .... ? and if it had been longer it would be known as a .... (and thats the link to Williamstown)?

RE: Lincoln's beard - Eva Elisabeth - 02-12-2018 06:13 AM

Dunno about beard classifications but on the less trivia side would like to remember of his birthday today.

RE: Lincoln's beard - RJNorton - 02-12-2018 06:36 AM

(02-12-2018 06:13 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Dunno about beard classifications but on the less trivia side would like to remember of his birthday today.

I would like to second Eva, and to Michael...I still am clueless!

RE: Lincoln's beard - L Verge - 02-12-2018 12:42 PM

(02-12-2018 02:29 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  Eva, that man's church is 10 minutes by car from me. Other than that ... you're off course.

As far as style is concerned, Lincoln's beard was classified as a .... ? and if it had been longer it would be known as a .... (and thats the link to Williamstown)?

I have heard Lincoln's beard referred to as an Amish beard, which stuck with me because Southern Maryland has a sizable Amish community. Is that the beginning of your link to Williamstown?

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-12-2018 03:06 PM

Yes, Laurie. You've almost got there. I had a feeling someone would mention Amish. There is another name (maybe less common) for the Amish beard. That other name is the one you need to link to Williamstown.

RE: Lincoln's beard - RJNorton - 02-12-2018 03:20 PM

The Shenandoah beard?

"CSS Shenandoah incident of 1865"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamstown,_Victoria

RE: Lincoln's beard - AussieMick - 02-12-2018 03:23 PM

Yes!!! Well done, Roger. And sorry to all the others that struggled with my "clues".

(02-12-2018 03:23 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Yes!!! Well done, Roger. And sorry to all the others that struggled with my "clues".

from wikipedia :-

"Together, 140 Australians and New Zealanders were veterans of the American Civil War, 100 of whom were native-born.[1] Some of these were originally Americans who came to Australia during the Victorian gold rush of the 1850s.[2] Officers during the war included one who gave Tasmania its first telegraph service, and another officer who mined for gold in Ballarat."

More detail on this :-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_and_the_American_Civil_War#CSS_Shenandoah

Also "It is a matter of odd historical fact that the last shot of the American Civil War was a blank fired at a New Bedford whaling ship in the Bering Sea off Siberia on June 22, 1865, more than a month after the conflict had actually ended. To understand this bizarre event in this peculiar location, we need to briefly recount the voyage of the Confederate raider CSS Shenandoah, an extraordinary epic of seafaring long neglected as a minor footnote to maritime history."
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/css-shenandoah-and-the-last-shot-of-the-civil-war.111978/

And Dabney Scales Diary