Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-08-2014 02:35 PM

John Hanks stated that when Lincoln was working in the fields during his Indiana years he would often stop and read. He kept two books at hand. One was the Bible. What was the other one?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 03-08-2014 05:13 PM

Aesop's Fables?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-08-2014 05:17 PM

Excellent, Gene! That is correct.

John Hanks said, "When Abe and I returned to the house from work he would go to the
cupboard, snatch a piece of cornbread and sit down and read. We grubbed, plowed, mowed and worked together barefooted in the fields. Whenever Abe had a chance in the field while at work, or at the house, he would stop and read. He kept the Bible and Aesop's Fables always in reach and read them over and over again."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 03-08-2014 08:01 PM

It's quite remarkable that although Sarah Bush Lincoln was illiterate, she brought with her to Kentucky such books as the family Bible and Aesop's Fables but Scott's " Lessons of Elocution". Did these belonged to her first husband?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 10:32 AM

Who lived temporarily in this place?
[attachment=515]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 12:25 PM

Hint #1: It's in Virginia.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 03-24-2014 12:44 PM

Did President Tyler live there?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 01:45 PM

Very smart guess, Roger, but it wasn't Present Tyler who lived there.
Hint #2: On the same estate is also a house in which a doctor lived in those days.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 03:03 PM

Hint #3: HA!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-24-2014 03:14 PM

Betty Ownsbey Lewis Powell?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - BettyO - 03-24-2014 05:24 PM

That's Dr. Alban H. Payne's Doctor's Office on the front lawn of "The Willows" the Paris, VA home where Powell boarded while with Mosby. He also boarded at another Payne farm, "Granville Tract", five miles from Warrenton as well as at "Nalley" (since burned) high up near Sky Meadow at "The Plains."

Wish I DID live there, Roger! Paris is a lovely (albeit VERY expensive area!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 03-24-2014 07:06 PM

I used to go through that area en route to college, and it is lovely -- and very ritzy. It is basically Loudoun and Fauquier Counties in Virginia. The stone walls alone are great to see; it is rich horse country, playground of the earlier Kennedy generations, once home to Arthur Godfrey (for those of you old enough to remember that name), and the philanthropic Mellon family.

There is also a very prestigious Inn at Little Washington in the area that is internationally known. It was founded by Patrick O'Connell, who is still the head chef and has won every culinary award known to man, I suspect. Patrick was born and raised in "Surrattsville," attended Surrattsville High School, and his mother was once a volunteer at Surratt House.

And yes, I can make six degrees of separation to almost anything you can post related to this time period!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-24-2014 07:25 PM

Brilliant, Roger and Betty! Sorry that I quoted you without a reference, Betty, and thanks for the excellent explanation. This is Dr. Albin Payne's house:
[attachment=517]

I agree, the area and landscape are lovely!

Roger and Betty, your prize is a trip to Paris:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kouTi-0csLg
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/sous-le-ciel-de-paris-add-english-title-here.html
(Actually from where I grew up it was only 3,5 hours to Piaf's Paris. Now it's a bit more, but roughly 20 hours to Paris in Virginia!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-25-2014 05:06 AM

Thanks, Eva. I think Edith Piaf is one amazing singer!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPvx38D4GM

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 03-25-2014 06:09 AM

Glad you like the prize.Smile