Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-23-2013 03:53 PM

Ford's Theatre was open on Christmas Day, 1863. What was the name of the play?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 12-23-2013 04:38 PM

"The Drunkard, or the Fallen Saved" on Dec. 25,
"The poor Gentleman" and "The Happiest Day in my Life" on Dec. 24

Credit and prize go to wsanto for posting this link once:
http://archive.org/details/restorationoffor00olsz

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-23-2013 04:52 PM

You are correct, Eva, and I am sure Dr. Carnevali (wsanto on the forum) will be pleased as the recipient of the credit.

The Drunkard; or, The Fallen Saved was a temperance play. According to Wikipedia, "Another version of the play, adapted by Richard Mansfield Dickinson, has been performed every Saturday night beginning in 1953 at the Spotlight Theatre, located in Tulsa, Oklahoma; the company claims that this is the longest-running stage production in America."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 12-23-2013 07:02 PM

Temperance is a good keyword! Once Lincoln was offered some red liquor and denied. Who was Lincoln's partner in the following dialogue?

(?): "What! Are you a member of the Temperance Society?"
A.L.: "No. I am not a member of any temperance society; but I am temperate, IN THIS, that I don't drink anything."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 12-23-2013 08:08 PM

Stephen A. Douglas.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 12-23-2013 10:07 PM

Kudos again, Rob! That is correct.
You win the champagne song from "Die Fledermaus":
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAL-pzwfkeY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgAL-pzwfkeY

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 12-23-2013 10:13 PM

(Hic)..Thanks. Love that it was "Ida" singing.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-29-2013 11:53 AM

Referring back to the thread on The Lincoln Deception, the question was asked if Booth even knew who would become President in the event that both Lincoln and Johnson were killed. I wonder how many people today know the Presidential Line of Succession. Without cheating, please, answer the following questions:

1. How many Lines of Succession have there been in U.S. history.
2. Name the years in which each Line was established.
3. In 1865, what position and person was third in line?
4. Today, what position and person is third in line?
5. Today, what position and person is fourth in line?

Remember, raise your right hand and swear not to cheat then spit on your gizzard... Sorry, part of my Southern culture.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-29-2013 12:56 PM

Can I raise my hand with a partial answer?

1. I have no idea.
2. I have no idea.
3. President pro tempore of the Senate - Lafayette Foster
4. Speaker of the House - John Boehner
5. President pro tempore of the Senate - Pat Leahy

Assuming I did get 3 right I will keep private what letter grade 60% was at the school where I taught...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 12-29-2013 01:32 PM

1. Wild guess: 3
2. The first should be in the 2nd Article of the Constitution which was ratified in 1788 and went into effect in March 1789. There was one respective amendment in the late 1960ies ('67 or '68?), and I'm pretty sure there was at least one earlier one (er, that doesn't even answer one entire subquestion).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-29-2013 06:52 PM

Roger is correct on his three (congratulations on knowing Patrick Leahy!). Eva's wild guess on the number of Lines of Succession that the U.S. has created over the years (3) is also correct.

Again, without cheating, does anyone want to fully tackle the dates?

Time's up 'cause I'm shutting down the computer. I want to thank you all for not cheating - if someone had come up with the dates on when the Lines of Succession were created, I would have to suspect cheating.

Eva was close on the first date, but the framers of the Constitution did not establish a line of succession. They left it to Congress to decide the successor. By 1792, however, it was obvious that that was going to be a mistake (too much political infighting). Thus, the first Line of Succession came with the Succession Act of 1792. That lasted for almost a century. The second line was created in 1886.

The third line went into effect in 1947 and is still the one in use today. Note that the 25th Amendment pertains only to when a vice president leaves office unexpectedly.

Here's the source if you want to double-check me: http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/Presidential_Succession.htm

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-30-2013 10:47 AM

This is the work of what artist? It was done in 1942.

[Image: whatartistdidthis.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-30-2013 11:18 AM

Early work of Lloyd Ostendorf before he refined his technique?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-30-2013 03:20 PM

Laurie, that is the guess I thought might come first. But it's not him.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-30-2013 05:10 PM

Hint #1: He was nicknamed the "Postcard King."