Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Houmes - 11-15-2013 10:44 AM

(11-08-2013 10:36 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Linda,

It appears that the Newberry in Chicago has it on microfilm, but it's not circulating.

Institution: Newberry Library [non-circulating]
Call Number: A 6 .1664
Copy: 1
Reproduction Note: Microfilm. Jan.1865-July 1870 Chicago, Ill. : Flofilm [for] Newberry Library [19--] 2 microfilm reels : negative ; 35 mm. Reels held in 4A link.

Library Has (Summary): 1865:Jan.-1870:Juli

You might be able to hire a researcher to find it, or even see if the Newberry might copy it, since you know a specific date.

Roger, I cannot find any place that has the Illinois Staats-Anzeiger. It's possible they're lost to history.

Here's a link to an Illinois newspaper database.

http://www.library.illinois.edu/inp/index.html

Best
Rob

A fairly complete reproduction of Vocke's interview can be found on the Library of Congress "Chronicling America" at: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/titles/ under these newspapers: The Jeffersonian (Stroudsburg,PA) 8/31/65 and The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer (Wheeling, WV) 7/31/65.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Linda Anderson - 11-15-2013 07:22 PM

(11-15-2013 10:44 AM)Houmes Wrote:  A fairly complete reproduction of Vocke's interview can be found on the Library of Congress "Chronicling America" at: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/titles/ under these newspapers: The Jeffersonian (Stroudsburg,PA) 8/31/65 and The Wheeling Daily Intelligencer (Wheeling, WV) 7/31/65.

Thanks, Blaine.

I'm wondering if there are also "written communications" from Vocke that the Illinois Staats Zeitung published before the interview you refer to.

This is from the New York Times., July 31, 1865.

"From the Illinois Staats Zeitung, July 17.

"Mr. GEORGE VOCKE, the soldier whom the Medical Director detailed to attend Mr. SEWARD as nurse, after the latter's accident by a fall, has favored us with interesting verbal information, in addition to the written communications formerly published by us, concerning the attempted assassination of Mr. SEWARD."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-22-2013 08:19 AM

What is the source of this quote:
"It was written, my young scholars,...by a poet named Walt Whitman about Abraham Lincoln. In this class you may refer to me as either Mr. Keating or 'O Captain! My Captain'"?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Dawn E Foster - 11-22-2013 09:00 AM

(11-22-2013 08:19 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  What is the source of this quote:
"It was written, my young scholars,...by a poet named Walt Whitman about Abraham Lincoln. In this class you may refer to me as either Mr. Keating or 'O Captain! My Captain'"?

Dead Poets Society!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-22-2013 03:06 PM

Very good, indeed! A wonderful (and sad) movie and novel about "carpe diem" - seize the day and taking the road less travelled by.

Allow me to highly recommend two movies of similar genre. Roger, you and all teachers sure (will) love "The Chorus":
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrhqaPJMdV4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLrhqaPJMdV4

The new teacher Messieur Mathieu brightens up the boarding institution for "difficult" boys, Fond de L'Étang ("Bottom of the Pond"), presided over by strict headmaster Mr Rachin. Mathieu assembles a choir, leading to the discovery of the childrens' musical talents and a transformation in the children.

Anita, you will probably love this movie:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtkJlT3EkaM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWtkJlT3EkaM

"As it is in Heaven" is about (the fictional) successful and renowned international conductor Daniel Daréus, whose life aspiration is to create music that will open people's hearts. His own heart, however, is in bad shape. After suffering a heart attack he retires to the village in the far north of Sweden where he had endured a terrible childhood of bullying.
Soon the local reverend asks Daniel to work as the church choir's conductor, formed by all kinds of villagers, with all kinds of problems and fates. By and by, his music opens the hearts of the members of the choir, affecting their daily life. In the end, Daniel suffers another heart attack, but is completely fulfilled by reaching his life's goal.

BTW, in Sweden, choir singing and choir contests are some kind of national sports.

(For those who haven't watched "Dead Poet's Society": http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrBk780aOis&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwrBk780aOis )

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 11-22-2013 10:01 PM

Eva, After watching the trailer "As it is in Heaven" this is a must see. You know me well!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-28-2013 10:14 AM

According to historian Mark E. Neely, Jr. how many proclamations of prayer, fasting, or thanksgiving did Abraham Lincoln issue during his presidency?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-28-2013 11:05 AM

Nine ?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-28-2013 11:15 AM

Excellent, Eva! That is correct! Good job.

For anyone interested in reading all 9 someone has a web page that contains the texts here.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-28-2013 03:48 PM

To be honest, it was just yesterday that I re-read exactly that excellent website...
BTW, one of my favorite "Lincoln stories" is that of Jack, the saved turkey, who, in Tad's opinion, was too young to vote, even to cast his vote for his savior.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 11-28-2013 08:57 PM

According to Francis Carpenter, on his last visit to W. Seward, A. Lincoln considered a further day of Thanksgiving:
"Mr. Lincoln's first visit was to the house of the Secretary, who was confined to his bed by his injuries . After a words of sympathy and condolence, with a countenance beaming with joy and satisfaction, he entered upon an account of his visit to Richmond, and the glorious success of Grant, - throwing himself, in his almost boyish exultation, at full length across the bed, supporting his head upon one hand, and in this manner reciting the story of the collapse of the Rebellion. Concluding, he lifted himself up and said: 'And now for a day of Thanksgiving!' Mr. Seward entered fully into his feelings, but observed, with characteristic caution, that the issue between Sherman and Johnston had not yet been decided, and a premature celebration might have the effect to nerve the remaining army of the Confederacy to greater desperation. He advised, therefore, no official designation of a day 'until the result of Sherman's combination was known.' Admitting the force of the Secretary's view, Mr. Lincoln reluctantly gave up the purpose." (Francis Carpenter, "Six Months in the White House", p. 290.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-29-2013 05:58 AM

Just a little wild speculation on my part, Eva. A thought came into my mind as I read your post. It seems most of the times Lincoln thought of a proclamation of fasting, prayer, or thanksgiving, the actual assignment of writing the document was given to William Seward. Perhaps part of Seward's response in this instance might really have been due to Seward not feeling well?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-29-2013 08:59 AM

Lincoln proclaimed Thursday, November 26, 1863, as Thanksgiving.

The next day, Black Friday 1863, Lincoln was prohibited from doing something.

What was he prohibited from doing?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 11-29-2013 09:45 AM

His doctor prevented him from having visitors.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 11-29-2013 11:11 AM

Good job, Joe! That is correct. On November 25 Lincoln began feeling sick and went to bed early. On November 26 he was confined to sick room. On November 27 the doctor said he could not have visitors or see any Cabinet members. On November 28 Lincoln was reported as being much better in the morning.