Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-17-2013 09:31 PM

Eva: speaking of Stephen Douglas, how did his wife have a role in the with one of the conspirators?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - irshgrl500 - 10-17-2013 10:33 PM

(10-17-2013 09:31 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Eva: speaking of Stephen Douglas, how did his wife have a role in the with one of the conspirators?

Adele Cutts Douglas' Aunt, Rose Greenhow was convicted for spying for the Confederacy but I don't think this is the answer you're looking for, Bill.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-18-2013 05:09 AM

Bill, didn't she meet with Andrew Johnson to try to save Mary Surratt from execution?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-18-2013 09:16 AM

Roger took the words right out of my computer! Mrs. Stephen Douglas sailed past Johnson's guards at the White House and went in to plead for Mary Surratt. It did absolutely no good.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-18-2013 09:27 AM

(10-18-2013 09:16 AM)L Verge Wrote:  It did absolutely no good.
Why?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-18-2013 09:43 AM

Yes, completely correct!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 10-18-2013 09:51 AM

For one reason, Johnson is now president due to Lincoln's misfortune. To be considered soft on those who were found guilty of his murder could be considered a sign he is not sorry Lincoln was killed. Mrs. Lincoln thought Johnson was involved in her husbands death.

For another, he's starting to have trouble with the radical republicans in congress, to not carry out the sentence on Mrs Surratt will only give him more trouble with them. It is the politically correct thing to do.

He believes she is guilty and the death sentence is appropriate.

There are more reasons.....

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-18-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks, Gene!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2013 04:57 PM

What did A. Lincoln give for sale at the Chicago Sanitary Fair in November 1863 and for how much was the item sold?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-28-2013 05:56 PM

A copy of the Gettysburg Address.

Oops, I thought of obe document and cited another that was incorrect. It was the Emancipation Proclamation! Sorry for the confusion, Eva.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-28-2013 06:31 PM

A wealthy Chicago lawyer and business man named Thomas Bryan bought the EP for $3000 and donated it to the Chicago Soldiers' Home, where it was destroyed in the great Chicago Fire.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2013 06:41 PM

...there's nothing to add to this...Kudos you two! Your prize is to join Betty in the Zeppelin flight.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-28-2013 08:08 PM

After the EP was in the Chicago Soldiers' Home, it was acquired by the Chicago Historical Society. It was in the Society's possession when it was destroyed by the Chicago fire. A riveting account of the attempt to rescue the document so it might be saved can be found in: THE GREAT CHICAGO FIRE, a 1971 publication of the Chicago Historical Society, pages 37-40--as reported by Samuel Stone, assistant librarian of the CHS--the man who tried to save the EP.

(10-28-2013 06:41 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  ...there's nothing to add to this...Kudos you two! Your prize is to join Betty in the Zeppelin flight.

I'll wait to travel on the Hindenburg instead of the Graf Zeppelin. Do you think that I made a good choice?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 10-28-2013 08:27 PM

Thanks for clearing up the piece about the EP being in the Chicago Historical Society at the time of the fire. As for waiting to fly on the Hindenburg, I would not advise you to buy your tickets just yet. Landings in New Jersey are particularly difficult.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-28-2013 11:25 PM

The Hindenburg is actually still in the shop...if it would be a good choice? Well, some like it hot.

Third time is a charm. I amend this question:
What did Elizabeth Thompson have to do with the Emancipation Proclamation?