Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-24-2012 08:04 PM

And he beat me to it! I seldom know the answers to trivia questions, but I did this one -- pout, pout, pout...

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-25-2012 09:32 AM

I believe it was at the Cotton States Exposition in Atlanta where the logs may have been mixed up. I have seen somewhere that this may have happened at an exposition in Nashville.
The only cabin that was sent to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 Thomas Lincoln's cabin in Illinois. There are no photos of it at the World's Fair, nor is its location at the fair mentioned in guide books. It "disappeared" after the fair and, I suspect, was destroyed in the several fires that also destroyed most of the fair structures during 1894.

(08-24-2012 07:38 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  That would be Jefferson Davis, I believe.

If I remember correctly they were both displayed at the Chicago World's Fair at the same time when Thomas Jones was trying to sell his book. The logs got all shuffled together after that.

I believe it was at the Cotton States Exposition in Atlanta where the logs may have been mixed up. I have seen somewhere that this may have happened at an exposition in Nashville.
The only cabin that was sent to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 Thomas Lincoln's cabin in Illinois. There are no photos of it at the World's Fair, nor is its location at the fair mentioned in guide books. It "disappeared" after the fair and, I suspect, was destroyed in the several fires that also destroyed most of the fair structures during 1894.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-25-2012 10:22 AM

I know it's been disproved that the logs are not old enough to be from the birthplace cabin of Lincoln. What has been said about the Jefferson Davis logs-or was there no way to tell which from which?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-25-2012 10:40 AM

During Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train journey the train passed a cemetery where the remains of a previous president were buried. The train slowed as the former president's surviving family members were visiting the grave site at the moment the train passed by. Lincoln stood on the car's rear platform, uncovered his head, and bowed in respect as the train passed the cemetery.

1. Where did this happen?

2. Who was the former president?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-25-2012 12:21 PM

(08-25-2012 10:40 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  During Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train journey the train passed a cemetery where the remains of a previous president were buried. The train slowed as the former president's surviving family members were visiting the grave site at the moment the train passed by. Lincoln stood on the car's rear platform, uncovered his head, and bowed in respect as the train passed the cemetery.

1. Where did this happen?

2. Who was the former president?

I am going to hazard a guess. I have looked at a list of the cities where he stopped and particularly at Buffalo and Peekskill, NY. Since Millard Fillmore was still alive I am ruling out Buffalo. So, I am guessing Martin Van Buren at Kinderhook, outside of Peekskill.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-25-2012 01:06 PM

Good guess, Joe. I am sorry, but it wasn't Martin Van Buren.

Hint #1: The living presidents at the time of Lincoln's inaugural journey were Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-25-2012 01:36 PM

Based on the ones you said were actually living I am going to guess. I am looking at a ruler from my desk with all of the presidents on it. Was it Harrison?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-25-2012 01:40 PM

Yes, indeed, Bill. Kudos. It was William Henry Harrison. The town was North Bend, Ohio.

You have won a free overnight stay at Grouseland! Enjoy.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-25-2012 02:52 PM

Thanks Roger. Couldn't have done it without that trusty ruler!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-25-2012 03:20 PM

(08-25-2012 01:06 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Good guess, Joe. I am sorry, but it wasn't Martin Van Buren.

Hint #1: The living presidents at the time of Lincoln's inaugural journey were Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan.

My apologies to Martin Van Buren for shortening his life! I forgot that Harrison lived in North Bend, OH and where, also, his grandson Benjamin was born. Roger, I have looked through the entire inaugural journey in Lincoln Day by Day and can find no mention of the Harrison burial site mentioned. Is this from Trostel's new book on the Lincoln inaugural train? I think this is a great bit of information and woud like to know the primary source, too. Thanks.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-25-2012 03:35 PM

Hi Joe. Yes, I did get the information from Scott's new book...p. 33. There are no footnotes, but Scott is a member here. I am sure he can give you the primary source if you were to contact him. Since this is quite close to Cincinnati, I will guess he used a Cincinnati newspaper. In his bibliography he includes the Cincinnati Gazette, the Cincinnati Inquirer, and the Cincinnati Daily Commercial.

Joe, the very same incident is described on p. 47 of Victor Searcher's Lincoln's Journey to Greatness. Again, no footnote though.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 08-25-2012 03:53 PM

(08-25-2012 03:35 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Joe. Yes, I did get the information from Scott's new book...p. 33. There are no footnotes, but Scott is a member here. I am sure he can give you the primary source if you were to contact him. Since this is quite close to Cincinnati, I will guess he used a Cincinnati newspaper. In his bibliography he includes the Cincinnati Gazette, the Cincinnati Inquirer, and the Cincinnati Daily Commercial.

Joe, the very same incident is described on p. 47 of Victor Searcher's Lincoln's Journey to Greatness. Again, no footnote though.

Thanks, as always, Roger. I would surmise that it came from a newspaper source. Again, it is a wonderful vignette and shows Lincoln's humanity.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-26-2012 12:52 PM

Abraham Lincoln slept here one night during his life. Where is this?

[Image: lincolnslepthere.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 08-26-2012 02:01 PM

Is this where he stayed in Gettysburg?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 08-26-2012 02:11 PM

Yes, Roger! Very good! Indeed this is an etching (done by Bernardt Wall) of the second-floor guest bedroom in David Wills' house where Lincoln stayed on November 18, 1863.