Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-08-2013 02:41 PM

The Wigwam?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2013 02:53 PM

Very good try, Rob. That's not it, but you have the correct city in which this building was located!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-08-2013 04:33 PM

The Clifton House, where Tad Lincoln died.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2013 04:47 PM

Excellent, Joe. That's it. Sadly, Tad passed away in room 21 on Saturday morning, July 15, 1871.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-15-2013 02:46 PM

This image is from an old postcard. In what American city is this statue located?

[Image: lincolnstatuewhere.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-15-2013 02:51 PM

Hodgenville, KY.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-15-2013 03:00 PM

Wow - the question lasted all of 5 minutes. You are absolutely correct, Bill. Good job!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-15-2013 07:24 PM

Thank you Roger! I believe there is now a statue of Lincoln as a boy standing opposite of the statue in the photo. It was placed there a few years ago.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-16-2013 09:14 AM

Who held Abraham Lincoln's stovepipe hat during the first inauguration ceremony?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 10-16-2013 09:22 AM

Mr. Stephen Douglas.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-16-2013 11:44 AM

Excellent Bill! Since I can't hold your hat I take mine off to your knowledge!

Well - if this question sets the level higher?

In 1861, a well-known gentleman came to Washington to seek for office of Consul at Florence. On March 22, he attended a levee at the White House and later wrote his wife about the event:
“A steady stream of two-&-two’s wound thro’ the apartments shaking hands with ‘Old Abe’ and immediately passing on...Of course I was one of the shakers. Old Abe is much better looking than I expected & younger looking. He shook hands like a good fellow - working hard at it like a man sawing wood at so much per cord.”
Who was this gentleman?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-16-2013 01:54 PM

(10-16-2013 11:44 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  In 1861, a well-known gentleman came to Washington to seek for office of Consul at Florence. On March 22, he attended a levee at the White House and later wrote his wife about the event:
“A steady stream of two-&-two’s wound thro’ the apartments shaking hands with ‘Old Abe’ and immediately passing on...Of course I was one of the shakers. Old Abe is much better looking than I expected & younger looking. He shook hands like a good fellow - working hard at it like a man sawing wood at so much per cord.”
Who was this gentleman?

[Image: moby-dick3.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - BettyO - 10-16-2013 01:58 PM

Judging from the book cover, Herman Melville?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-16-2013 02:03 PM

Yes, Betty, I posted that image as I think Herman Melville is the answer to Eva's question.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-16-2013 02:18 PM

You are absolutely correct! And I thought this question would last for a while. Well, I obviously forgot, this is premier league...
Nevertheless, here's a nice article on the topic:
http://www.lincolnfootnotes.com/1/post/2010/02/lincoln-denies-herman-melville-a-job.html

If I could I would invite you both to a trip to Florence, it's such a beautiful city. A friend of mine studied there, and I frequently visited her during that time.