Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-23-2013 01:44 PM

Thanks Eva. I may consider it for next year. Right now I've got about 2,500 more newspaper articles to go through regarding Ida Tarbell. Plus, my flatboat is in the shop. Smile

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-30-2013 03:36 PM

Can you name all the people, left to right?

[Image: randomgroupofpeople1.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-30-2013 03:55 PM

James Swanson, Mike Kauffman, Elizabeth Leonard, Ed Steers, Thomas Reed Turner and Frank J. Williams at, I think, the Lincoln Forum.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 09-30-2013 04:27 PM

You are very close, Rob. All your answers are correct except the lady is not Elizabeth Leonard.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 09-30-2013 04:46 PM

I kind of wondered about that. My eyes are not in the best shape today as I've been going through about four years of Ida Tarbell's copyright woes, so I'll have to concede as to her identity.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 09-30-2013 06:43 PM

The lady is Louise Taper, and she was recovering from eye problems that year when she gave a slide presentation of her extensive Lincoln and Lincoln assassination collection at the annual conference of The Lincoln Forum in Gettysburg. Louise and I corresponded for years after we were introduced to each other by James O. Hall. She became another of his "adopted daughters." A very lovely and generous lady.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-01-2013 05:09 AM

Congratulations, Rob and Laurie. You both win a free one hour shopping spree at your nearest Montgomery Ward's store.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 10-01-2013 03:06 PM

If you would like to see a lot of the things that are (were) in the Taper collection, get a copy of THE LAST BEST HOPE ON EARTH, published by the Huntinbgton Library.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-03-2013 09:59 AM

Mary Harlan played the harp, Willie the piano, Ward Lamon the banjo, Robert at least tried the latter, but one of Abraham Lincoln's acquaintances played the violin. This person's grandson became a concert violinist and conductor who was the first violinist to make recordings for the Victor Talking Machine Company (that one with the fox terrier and the gramophone), but they were never released.

Who was Lincoln's acquaintance (the grandfather)?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-03-2013 10:41 AM

Eva, I never get your questions on the first try, but this time may be different - I think it's Frederick Douglass.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 10-03-2013 10:53 AM

Excellent, Roger - this was a sacred effort. Here's a picture of him listening to his grandson Joseph:

[attachment=237]

Your prize is #4 from the top:

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL509ED6E8551FDE01

I've sometimes read (on websites) that Lincoln played the Jew's harp on the Eighth Circuit, but I've never seen a source or read it in any book. Does anyone know more?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-05-2013 01:57 PM

This is Carl Sandburg drawn by what artist?

[Image: carlsandburgbywhom.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 10-05-2013 05:52 PM

Roger,

It was Romaine Proctor from Thomas's Portrait For Posterity.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-05-2013 06:03 PM

You got it, Rob. Very good. You and Gene had mentioned that book in another thread, and I got the book off the shelves and scanned the image of Sandburg on p. 287.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 10-08-2013 01:02 PM

What is the name of this building?

[Image: building209.jpg]