Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2013 09:32 AM

Roger, although the answer is wrong, it's indeed a good guess since Thurlow Weed (at least once) supported him when he was seeking for a particular office.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 07-31-2013 09:58 AM

If I remember correctly, wasn't it Simon Cameron?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2013 11:33 AM

Kudos, Rob. The original prize would have been the 10,000$, but since I was pickpocketed two days ago I've to reduce it to praise and honor.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 07-31-2013 12:52 PM

(07-31-2013 11:33 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Kudos, Rob. The original prize would have been the 10,000$, but since I was pickpocketed two days ago I've to reduce it to praise and honor.

Heck,, in today's money that would be about $100,000. I could afford to buy some more books. Big Grin

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-31-2013 03:42 PM

Eva - Were you really pick-pocketed? My one lone, male staff member at Surratt House was robbed and beaten by a gang last night en route to a 7-11 in a good neighborhood. My sympathies to you.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 07-31-2013 04:04 PM

Is he OK?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 07-31-2013 04:25 PM

Yes, Laurie, a junkie (as I learned later) started accosting and pushing and stole my phone while I was putting my shoppings into my bike basket. Since there were no witnesses nothing will happen although he's well-known to the police. But it could have been worse.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 07-31-2013 05:06 PM

Eva, Thank heavens you are okay. Instead of talking about objects being defaced with paint, now we're talking about friends being accosted...

And Gene, thank you for asking. We have not heard from my staff person since early this morning despite texting him. At that time, he only complained about the bump on his head. I'm sure that he has spent most of the day with the police, getting a new driver's license and cancelling credit cards. They may even have taken his phone so that he can't contact us on the run between errands. I am assuming that no news is good news.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Dawn E Foster - 07-31-2013 11:17 PM

(07-31-2013 05:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Eva, Thank heavens you are okay. Instead of talking about objects being defaced with paint, now we're talking about friends being accosted...

And Gene, thank you for asking. We have not heard from my staff person since early this morning despite texting him. At that time, he only complained about the bump on his head. I'm sure that he has spent most of the day with the police, getting a new driver's license and cancelling credit cards. They may even have taken his phone so that he can't contact us on the run between errands. I am assuming that no news is good news.

God, I hope so! And yes, Eva, thank heavens!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-10-2013 04:34 PM

What famous writer said that "Lincoln's Proclamation...not only set the black slaves free, but set the white man free also?"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - brtmchl - 08-10-2013 05:02 PM

Was it Twain? I only say so because, when I think of authors inconjunction with Lincoln or Grant I think of Twain.
I have a great certificate of the Lincoln Farm Association an organization formed by citizens for the purpose of purchasing the farm that Lincoln was born and preserving it as a National Park.
One of the signatures is Mark Twain

[attachment=182] [attachment=183]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 08-10-2013 05:12 PM

Twain would be my guess, too.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 08-10-2013 05:47 PM

You are both correct- it was Mark Twain- great guess! Interestingly enough he was a Confederate soldier for a brief time.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - brtmchl - 08-10-2013 07:21 PM

(08-10-2013 05:47 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  You are both correct- it was Mark Twain- great guess! Interestingly enough he was a Confederate soldier for a brief time.

I never knew he was a Confederate soldier at one time. I always assumed he was Pro Union. I guess I just always believed so because of Grant's "autobiography"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 08-10-2013 07:32 PM

Twain wrote about it in the short story "The Private History of a Campaign that Failed." Here it is.

Best
Rob

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/phctf.html