Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-28-2013 11:46 AM

(06-28-2013 09:46 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Believe me Joe, I would rather sleep in. I actually saw that photo in a book about Mathew Brady several years ago.

Best
Rob

Me, too, Rob. I saw it in MATHEW BRADY AND HIS WORLD, and pulled it off my helves to confirm it this morning. I have been fighting chronic bronchitis and have slept in, but only so slightly. The birds start early and, if it is not too hot, I always sleep with the windows wide open.

Best,

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-28-2013 02:19 PM

Who was George Gitt?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-28-2013 05:16 PM

(06-28-2013 02:19 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Who was George Gitt?

George Gitt was a large landowner near Hanover, PA in 1863. His son Josiah, a local merchant, was "raided" and sort of "cleaned out" of merchandise by a company of confederates on the way to Gettysburg.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-28-2013 05:25 PM

(06-28-2013 05:16 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  

George Gitt was a large landowner near Hanover, PA in 1863. His son Josiah, a local merchant, was "raided" and sort of "cleaned out" of merchandise by a company of confederates on the way to Gettysburg.

Joe

The George Gitt that I'm seeking was just 15 when he had contact with Mr. Lincoln.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-28-2013 05:38 PM

(06-28-2013 05:25 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  
(06-28-2013 05:16 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  

Joe

The George Gitt that I'm seeking was just 15 when he had contact with Mr. Lincoln.

Sorry, Laurie,

I cannot come up with another George Gitt. Let us k now what you find out. I love new things!

Thanks,

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-28-2013 06:10 PM

Hi Joe. Do you have Meeting Mr. Lincoln: Firsthand Recollections of Abraham Lincoln by People, Great and Small, Who Met The President edited by Victoria Radford? One of the accounts in that book concerns a 15-year-old boy who writes that he and his brothers shook hands with Lincoln at the Wills' house in Gettysburg. The boys entered the Wills' home through the kitchen. The article says that the boys came over from Hanover. Perhaps these boys were sons of the man you mentioned, Joe? Laurie, is this the boy you refer to?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-28-2013 06:14 PM

I believe so, but not the incident that I was referring to. However, I will accept that answer because it fits the requirements of my question. The answer I was looking for came from the latest Hallowed Ground journal from the Civil War Trust. This issue is dedicated to Gettysburg.

The brief information that I saw was that 15-year-old George Gitt hid under the platform where Lincoln gave the Gettsyburg Address so that he could hear "from the feet of my hero."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-28-2013 06:22 PM

Yep. In the article in Radford's book George D. Gitt writes that during the Gettysburg Address he "had concealed himself....among the huge store boxes that formed the foundations of the structure; and during the delivery of the address I stood with my heart in my mouth, literally at the feet of my hero."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-29-2013 04:57 AM

Joe; I’m afraid, in case you got up with the chickens today – this question pobably won’t challenge you a lot:

In late July 1859 Lincoln spent 15 cents on – what?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-29-2013 05:24 AM

I know .90 was spent on 6 chickens, so each individual chicken would be $.15.

So I will guess a chicken?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-29-2013 05:26 AM

(06-29-2013 04:57 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Joe; I’m afraid, in case you got up with the chickens today – this question pobably won’t challenge you a lot:

In late July 1859 Lincoln spent 15 cents on – what?

Eva,

It is 5:23 a.m. EDT-USA and, oddly, I am up already. The answer is 6 chickens, and he sent his son, Bob, to make the purchase on July 29. My daughter closed on her house this week--a house built in the 1950s, and I have been busy doing some work over there before the move-in occurs today and Sunday. So, insomnia seems to be part of the game.

All the best,,

Joe

(06-29-2013 05:24 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I know .90 was spent on 6 chickens, so each individual chicken would be $.15.

So I will guess a chicken?

Gee, Roger, are you up, too, at this hour?!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-29-2013 05:36 AM

Joe, I have always been an early riser.

Eva, I am in 100% agreement with Joe if chickens are the right answer. It was Robert who bought the chickens from a Springfield store named C. M. and S. Smith's on July 29th. Earlier in the week, in two separate trips, Robert had also purchased a total of 33 pounds of sugar.

Joe, please don't hurt your back this weekend!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-29-2013 05:49 AM

Er, I thought my wording could cause problems since 15 cents could be spent on many things. I didn't think of these chickens - but you may be right, too. The 15 cents I was thinking of he gave to John Mendonsa and his father for another sort of goods.

Joe - I got up one hour ago, too (but to be fair - you have to add 6 hours to your time, I think. We're on summer break...But since dusk to dawn at this time of the year is from midnight to 3.30AM I rarely slept the previous nights, so I had to catch up a bit.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-29-2013 06:33 AM

(06-29-2013 05:36 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, I have always been an early riser.

Eva, I am in 100% agreement with Joe if chickens are the right answer. It was Robert who bought the chickens from a Springfield store named C. M. and S. Smith's on July 29th. Earlier in the week, in two separate trips, Robert had also purchased a total of 33 pounds of sugar.

Joe, please don't hurt your back this weekend!

No lifting involved. I have been installing new bathroom lighting, cutting new toe boards and predrilling them for installation and nail-sinking, advising on replacement of damaged hardwood floor boards, and drilling and installing of new bathroom and kitchen hinges and hardware. My daughter is very handy with tools--for her housewarming gift I gave her an 18v rechargeable drill and circular saw combo kit!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-29-2013 08:43 AM

Joe, I truly take my hat off to your daughter's skills!

I'm afraid my wording in the last post was bad, too, I think "another sort of goods" would have been correct.
Lincoln spent the money on 3 pints of some grocery. (Mary before hadn't been willing to pay more that 10 cents.)