Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-25-2013 03:31 PM

Yes, Joe. That's it. The quote I asked about comes from p. 208 of By Square and Compass: Saga of the Lincoln Home by Dr. Wayne C. Temple.

Another quote from Dr. Temple on that page regarding Oldroyd: "Oldroyd's official address may have been 430 S. 8th, but actually it might have been called Easy Street." Seven people were residing in the Lincoln Home at that time.

I highly recommend Dr. Temple's book as it contains an outstanding history of the Lincoln Home in Springfield. It also has lots of photos and diagrams.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - irshgrl500 - 06-25-2013 03:58 PM

(06-25-2013 02:59 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hopefully this will give it away:

Hint #3: His first name is Wayne.

Is it Wayne C. Temple, Ph.D?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-25-2013 04:24 PM

(06-25-2013 03:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Yes, Joe. That's it. The quote I asked about comes from p. 208 of By Square and Compass: Saga of the Lincoln Home by Dr. Wayne C. Temple.

Another quote from Dr. Temple on that page regarding Oldroyd: "Oldroyd's official address may have been 430 S. 8th, but actually it might have been called Easy Street." Seven people were residing in the Lincoln Home at that time.

I highly recommend Dr. Temple's book as it contains an outstanding history of the Lincoln Home in Springfield. It also has lots of photos and diagrams.

Roger,

This is one of my favorite books in my collection. I was lucky, years ago, to get a personally inscribed and singed copy from Wayne Temple. Funny, I read the chapter just today and missed the "boardinghouse" statement. I should have read more carefully instead of scanning! For yerars, I have been interested in the Lincoln Home. When Richard S. Hagen was involved in the 1950s restoration project and wrote the great article in the Journal of the ISHS, through his help I was able to obtain a full set of the blueprints used in that restoration project--I still have those, too. My plan was to construct a small scale model of the home, but I never realized that dream. Tom Dyba, whom I mentioned before, made two of them and they are (were) a wonder to see. I think they are still at Illinois Benedictine University in the Dyba Lincoln collection.

Thanks, again, for all you do to maintain this site!

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-25-2013 05:33 PM

Thanks, Joe. There were some posts about Oldroyd and the Lincoln Home in another thread, and that is what caused me to think of Dr. Temple's book as a source for trivia questions. What a wonderful book it is.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-25-2013 07:47 PM

(06-25-2013 02:25 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 02:21 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Hi Joe: Mr. Hay said it to President Roosevelt. Roosevelt kept Hay on in the post that he was serving under McKinley.

Bill,

I was thinking about reading the new bio of Hay that was just released, but have only read one review of it. It was well-reviewed. Have you seen or read it?

Joe

Joe,

I'm reading it now. So far it's very good.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-25-2013 09:10 PM

(06-25-2013 07:47 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 02:25 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 02:21 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Hi Joe: Mr. Hay said it to President Roosevelt. Roosevelt kept Hay on in the post that he was serving under McKinley.

Bill,

I was thinking about reading the new bio of Hay that was just released, but have only read one review of it. It was well-reviewed. Have you seen or read it?

Joe

Joe,

I'm reading it now. So far it's very good.

Best
Rob

Thanks, Rob,

I am reading and thoroughly enjoying Joseph Ellis' new book, and will consider the Hay bio for later. One of the most provocative books I ever read that included the Hays was "The Five of Hearts" about the friendship among Henry and Clover Adams, the Hays, and a person whose name I can't recall right away, but who I believe was an archaeologist. I loaned out my copy years ago and never got it back! Drat!

All the best,

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-26-2013 05:30 AM

On May 22, 1856 a character of the Lincoln “world” was seriously attacked with a cane so that he almost died and could not go back to work until 1859. Who was it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 06-26-2013 07:32 AM

Charles Sumner

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-26-2013 07:46 AM

Very good, Gene.
In a speech he rediculed Senator A.P. Butler from South Carolina for his affection for "his mistréss...the harlot slavery". Two days later Butler's nephew Preston Books attacked Sumner in his office.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-28-2013 06:55 AM

This man is probably mentioned in almost all cradle-to-grave Lincoln biographies. The image is not the one most often seen in books.

Who is this man?

[Image: pictureofhumanmale.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-28-2013 07:41 AM

Dennis Offut?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-28-2013 07:46 AM

Horace Greeley?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-28-2013 07:48 AM

That's it, Rob. Very good! And I thought this one might last the whole day!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-28-2013 08:54 AM

Roger and Rob,

You guys! I am going to have to start getting up with the chickens, too, to see these early posts. So I will add to the discussion, at least, by noting that this lesser-known picture of Greeley was taken by Mathew Brady in the 1840s.

Have a great day,

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-28-2013 09:46 AM

Believe me Joe, I would rather sleep in. I actually saw that photo in a book about Mathew Brady several years ago.

Best
Rob