Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-15-2013 05:03 PM

(06-15-2013 04:56 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  William Jones' home in Gentryville, Indiana?

Nope. Think Illinois connection...new hint: moved away; remains eventually brought back to Illinois. Moved westward.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-16-2013 05:05 PM

James Short?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-16-2013 08:04 PM

(06-16-2013 05:05 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  James Short?

Roger,

I feel badly because I may have posted something way off-the-wall. Jimmy Short is an excellent guess, but not it. As an old man Mentor Graham moved to Blunt, South Dakota where he remained for the rest of his years. He was buried in Blunt and his remains were removed to Farmers Point Cemetery (near New Salem) in the 1930s (I think). Illinois teachers were partly instrumental in this move. The Blunt, SD home is still extant.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-16-2013 08:32 PM

Who said "Sonny, I could have had any place for which I was fitted, but I thought too much of Lincoln to disgrace him."

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-17-2013 05:01 AM

Rob, I believe that is William Herndon explaining why he felt his drinking might embarrass Lincoln and therefore he (Herndon) did not want an appointment in the Lincoln administration.

Joe, Short moved to California. That is why I guessed him when you said "moved west." That was a tough question!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-17-2013 07:51 AM

I figured that would be an easy one, Roger. You are correct. As soon as I cand find a bottle of the whiskey that Herndon drank, I'll send it your way.

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-17-2013 09:00 AM

Which New Salem resident claimed this about Abraham Lincoln?

"I have seen Lincoln place a cup of water between his heels, and then folding his arms, bend his tall form backward until he could grip the edge of the cup between his teeth and then straighten himself up, without spilling the water."

The prize for this will be a free fitness trainer who will teach you how to do this, no matter what your age. You will amaze your friends, children, grandchildren, etc.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-17-2013 09:08 AM

(06-17-2013 09:00 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Which New Salem resident said this about Abraham Lincoln?

"I have seen Lincoln place a cup of water between his heels, and then folding his arms, bend his tall form backward until he could grip the edge of the cup between his teeth and then straighten himself up, without spilling the water."

The prize for this will be a free fitness trainer who will teach you how to do this, no matter what your age. You will amaze your friends, children, grandchildren, etc.

Roger,

Didn't this hurt your back just writing it? It hurt mine.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-17-2013 09:19 AM

Joe, I tried it, and I am now undergoing spinal traction as I write this from the hospital.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-17-2013 09:48 AM

(06-17-2013 09:19 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, I tried it, and I am now undergoing spinal traction as I write this from the hospital.

Funny...but NOT!--right?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-17-2013 10:01 AM

Just kidding. I'm good, Joe! Indeed it does increase back pain just thinking about it!

Hint #1: This person moved to Knox County in Illinois after departing New Salem.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-17-2013 02:11 PM

Clark E. Carr?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-17-2013 02:35 PM

Excellent try, Rob, but it's not him.

Hint #2: My source for this is an article by Dr. Wayne Temple in an older Lincoln Herald.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-17-2013 03:12 PM

(06-17-2013 02:35 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Excellent try, Rob, but it's not him.

Hint #2: My source for this is an article by Dr. Wayne Temple in an older Lincoln Herald.

Roger,

You have stumped me; I have "bent over backwards" (HaHa)scouring Herndon's Informants, my own notes on where people moved after New Salem, and other sources and I cannot find the info about who moved to Knox County. I hope someone gets this one.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-17-2013 03:22 PM

Daniel Green Burner?

Best
Rob