Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-14-2013 09:22 AM

(06-14-2013 09:04 AM)Rogerm Wrote:  Here are two related questions. From what state came Robert Lincoln's father-in-law?
And, what is the name of the town in that state that carries his name?

James Harlan was born in Illinois. I am assuming that Harlan, Illinois carries his name. He spent most of his life in Iowa.

(06-14-2013 09:21 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  
(06-14-2013 08:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  What was this building?

[Image: whatbuilding.jpg]

Honestly, these log cabins look all the same to me...so I'll guess something that hasn't been mentioned yet. Danton Offrutt's store?

Little Pigeon Church in Indiana, where the Thomas Lincoln family worshipped. This is an image of the original building.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-14-2013 09:26 AM

Hi Eva. I think Roger M. and I were posting at the same time, so I deleted my question and was going to post it again after Roger's got answered. That's why my original post disappeared. Anyway, your guess is excellent, but that is not it.

And while I was replying to Eva, I see Joe got it. That's right, Joe. You are on a roll this morning, young man! Kudos!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-14-2013 11:05 AM

Many historians consider that Mr. Lincoln's Cooper Union speech won him the Presidency. How much did each person have to pay to attend the speech?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Houmes - 06-14-2013 11:17 AM

(06-14-2013 11:05 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Many historians consider that Mr. Lincoln's Cooper Union speech won him the Presidency. How much did each person have to pay to attend the speech?

Two bits.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-14-2013 11:38 AM

Roger or Joe,
is there any picture of the original inside of the church? Anyway, is there any outward item that makes this building recognizable as a church? (I would have expected a little belfry at least. Or do Baptist churches generally have no belfry?)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-14-2013 11:49 AM

(06-14-2013 11:38 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Roger or Joe,
is there any picture of the original inside of the church? Anyway, is there any outward item that makes this building recognizable as a church? (I would have expected a little belfry at least. Or do Baptist churches generally have no belfry?)

Eva,

There are no photos of the interior. I am attaching a photo of the current-day Little Pigeon Creek Baptist Church--no belfry.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 06-14-2013 12:28 PM

(06-14-2013 09:22 AM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(06-14-2013 09:04 AM)Rogerm Wrote:  Here are two related questions. From what state came Robert Lincoln's father-in-law?

James Harlan was born in Illinois. I am assuming that Harlan, Illinois carries his name. He spent most of his life in Iowa.

Honestly, these log cabins look all the same to me...so I'll guess something that hasn't been mentioned yet. Danton Offrutt's store?

Little Pigeon Church in Indiana, where the Thomas Lincoln family worshipped. This is an image of the original building.

The answer to my question about James Harlan is basically correct. But, the town I was referring to is Harlan, Iowa.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-14-2013 01:50 PM

(06-14-2013 12:28 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  

The answer to my question about James Harlan is basically correct. But, the town I was referring to is Harlan, Iowa.

Rogerm,

Thanks. Harlan, IA it is. I am going to check the map to see if it is near Mt. Pleasant where the Harlans lived and where RTL's wife spent a lot of time during her marriage.

Joe

(06-14-2013 01:50 PM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(06-14-2013 12:28 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  

Rogerm,

Thanks. Harlan, IA it is. I am going to check the map to see if it is near Mt. Pleasant where the Harlans lived and where RTL's wife spent a lot of time during her marriage.

Joe

Whoa! Harlan, IA is in the far western part of Iowa, quite far from Mt. Pleasant. I have been to Mt. Pleasant and it is a good place to see, especially in connection with an interest in RTL.

I should have probably done this all in one posting...

Here is an image of the now-called Harlan-Lincoln House on the campus of Iowa Weslyan University in Mt. Pleasant, IA. RTL's father-in-law served as president of that institution on two separate occasions. The house is now a museum housing mementos of the Harlan and Lincoln families.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-14-2013 02:31 PM

Way back to the Cooper Union cost - Yes, Blaine, you are correct! And the hall was only 3/4 full. Out of curiosity (I don't know the answer), does anyone know how many people the hall could have accommodated?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-14-2013 04:12 PM

Laurie,
1200 people attended the speech. If these were 3/4 the hall would have accommodated 1600 in total. (But somehow there's the number of 2000 in my mind, perhaps so. else knows better.)

How many inhabitants of Springfield were slaves at the time of Lincoln's arrval in 1837?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - historybuff22 - 06-15-2013 12:10 AM

You'll never forget Lafayette Curry Baker's father's name ---- Remember Baker. Grandfather's name? Remember Baker :-)

Rick Brown
HistoryBuff.com
A Nonprofit Organization

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-15-2013 04:49 AM

(06-14-2013 04:12 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  How many inhabitants of Springfield were slaves at the time of Lincoln's arrval in 1837?

6?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-15-2013 04:56 AM

Very good, Roger, you hit the mark.
26 Afro-Americans lived there, 6 of them were slaves.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-15-2013 07:02 AM

Who described Abraham Lincoln as follows:

"Physiologically and phrenologically the man was a sort of monstrosity. His frame was large, long, bony, and muscular; his head, small and disproportionately shaped. He had large, square jaws; large, heavy nose; small, lascivious mouth; and soft, tender, bluish eyes. I would say he was a cross between Venus and Hercules."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-15-2013 07:41 AM

I think it was one of his secretaries or one of his generals. W. Stoddard?