Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-13-2013 12:43 PM

Eva, thanks, but I will take a pass.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 02:27 PM

My last comment was rather cheeky, I wanted to delete it now, but was too late. It was not the first time, and I apologize (to all of you) for such. Sometimes I run riot although I don't intent to be disrespectful (since I'm younger and still new here and quod licet Iovi, non licet ovi.) It really worries me.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-13-2013 03:12 PM

Oh, trust me, Eva; you have not seen cheeky until you see some of us in full swing!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-13-2013 04:00 PM

Where'd I put that carpetbag.........

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-13-2013 04:57 PM

Pack that carpetbag and Go North, young man, Go North!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-13-2013 05:09 PM

[attachment=148]Whose home is this? Hint: important persons in Lincoln's pre-presidential life.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-13-2013 05:11 PM

Mentor Graham's house?.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-13-2013 05:18 PM

(06-13-2013 05:11 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Mentor Graham's house?.

No, although in the vicinity.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-13-2013 06:03 PM

Excuse me Mr. Di Cola while I skip over your question for just a second. I'm posing another question just for the other Joe, Mr. Beckert:

In 1833 Abraham Lincoln lived with a New Salem schoolteacher for about 6 months. (At least the schoolteacher made this claim to Herndon.) What was the schoolteacher’s name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-13-2013 07:30 PM

Mentor Graham. Thanks, Laurie. It's out of my system now. Sorry about that, Joe. Carry on.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 06-13-2013 07:34 PM

Bowling Green's cabin?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-13-2013 08:52 PM

These people's names are amazing! A school teacher named MENTOR? Someone named after towns named after lawns for outside bowling - Bowling Green?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-14-2013 08:12 AM

(06-13-2013 07:34 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Bowling Green's cabin?

Best
Rob

Rob,

You got it! Lincoln sometimes stayed in that house with Bowling and Nancy Green.

Joe

(06-13-2013 08:52 PM)L Verge Wrote:  These people's names are amazing! A school teacher named MENTOR? Someone named after towns named after lawns for outside bowling - Bowling Green?

Laurie,

I enjoyed your comment on the names. Most of the people who settled in the region were from the "upper" south, including Virginia and Kentucky, and names like these were not uncommon. Mentor Graham was William Mentor Graham, but it is ironic that Mentor became a mentor. Often in 17th through 19th century America, we find interesting names: Cotton Mather, Increase Mather, Lincoln's 1st VP--Hannibal Hamlin, Lincoln's 1st Treasury Secy--Salmon Chase, Declaration signer from Georgia--Button Gwinnett. The same was true for women's names. It is one of the many things that are so much fun about history!

Those of us who are really into Lincoln's early life have heads full of the names of the people who we believe shaped Lincoln into the person he became. We have so many names, that some day our heads will explode--not a pretty sight!

Have a great weekend.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 06-14-2013 09:04 AM

Here are two related questions. From what state came Robert Lincoln's father-in-law?
And, what is the name of the town in that state that carries his name?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-14-2013 09:21 AM

(06-14-2013 08:57 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  What was this building?

[Image: whatbuilding.jpg]

Honestly, these log cabins look all the same to me...so I'll guess something that hasn't been mentioned yet. Danton Offrutt's store?