Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - tblunk - 06-12-2013 11:57 AM

(06-12-2013 11:19 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  It might not survive shipping...perhaps it's better to send some seeds instead? He could grow a whole orchard then...

Are persimmons common in Germany? I always thought of them, along with Paw-Paws, as a "delicacy" confined to the Midwest. I see that persimmons, at least, are more worldly than I thought.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-12-2013 11:58 AM

Persimmons are really messy trees if you don't pick up every one that falls on the ground before they rot! Persimmon wine and persimmon pudding are very tasty, however.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - tblunk - 06-12-2013 12:06 PM

(06-12-2013 11:58 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  Persimmons are really messy trees if you don't pick up every one that falls on the ground before they rot! Persimmon wine and persimmon pudding are very tasty, however.
I'll have to take your word for that. At least my grandmother's persimmon pudding did not agree with my palate. Now persimmon wine, on the other hand, I could be persuaded to give that a try!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-12-2013 01:03 PM

(06-12-2013 11:57 AM)tblunk Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 11:19 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  It might not survive shipping...perhaps it's better to send some seeds instead? He could grow a whole orchard then...

Are persimmons common in Germany? I always thought of them, along with Paw-Paws, as a "delicacy" confined to the Midwest. I see that persimmons, at least, are more worldly than I thought.

We just have the fruit, the trees don't grow here. But in the city where I live there is an old botanic garden with some giant redwood trees, unique in Germany, which were imported in the 19th century.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 06-12-2013 02:52 PM

Tom,

Our family's recipe for persminnon pudding is very much like the old English plum pudding. It is steamed and more like a cake. The important thing is to make sure that the persimmons have been touched by frost so that they are sweeter. I was also flabbergasted when I first saw the huge persimmons that are now sold in grocery stores. The ones native to Maryland are smaller than apricots.

The Huntt house that I cite so much has a huge persimmon tree that stands about forty-feet tall. Years ago, my Persian cat snuck out of the house and decided to climb to the top of the tree. Of course, he did not come down. I will not repeat the words that my father used in "encouraging" that cat's descent.

I would bet that persimmons became a staple in some Civil War soldiers' diets.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - tblunk - 06-12-2013 09:47 PM

(06-12-2013 02:52 PM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I would bet that persimmons became a staple in some Civil War soldiers' diets.

According to Wikipedia - Three Union regiments were called "Persimmon Regiments" because they spent a lot of time looking for persimmons. One each from Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 02:39 AM

Once, referring to mastering grammar, Lincoln said that his "only instruction in the English language had been from me, through [???], while...he was a hired hand for their mother in the havest-field."

Who [???] helped Lincoln to master English grammar?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-13-2013 05:21 AM

I can think of a few New Salem names - I'll start with Mentor Graham?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 07:23 AM

Not him, but very good indeed. You nailed my first hint, New Salem.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-13-2013 09:09 AM

Eva,

Since Jack Kelso was a literate person, I will choose him. My second choice is Jimmy Short.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 09:16 AM

Sorry, Joe, none of them.
Hint#2: Lincoln refered to two men.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 06-13-2013 09:33 AM

Eva,

I will try again. Since you mtnion two people, could they have been Rowan and James Herndon?

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 09:40 AM

Sorry again, Joe. Hint#3: They were brothers.

(I can't believe it still not being beaten on the 3rd attempt in this league - I consider this an honor!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-13-2013 09:50 AM

(06-13-2013 09:40 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Hint#3: They were brothers.

I think I got it now. The Greene brothers?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-13-2013 11:59 AM

Very good, Roger. Lincoln told this years later to Jonathan B Turner.
(Original source is: Mary Turner Carriel: "The life of J.B. Turner", but I got it from Burlingame).

As for the prize, there are some of the persimmon seeds left if you like.