Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-08-2013 07:24 PM

Listen to what Laurie said, Eva! One war at a time? I'm losing the other one! I'd welcome another one at this point! The abuse is half the fun! I was looking forward to "Stump the German"!!

Joe is just fine, also. Although Herr Beckert has a nice ring to it.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-08-2013 08:25 PM

Stump the German? Wenn das so ist, Herr Beckert, it seems I have to withdraw from withdrawl!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-08-2013 09:18 PM

Wow, even I understood that! Welcome back, Fraulein Eva.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-08-2013 09:25 PM

That is so! Withdraw and get on with it. You have some great trivia questions. Be warned - this is a very tough crowd!

I think you should start a "Stump the German" thread in the trivia section sehr bald, mein Freund! Sicher sein, um die Rebellen zu verprügeln, obwohl!!

It's easy. Here's how I do it. First you find a good question and then Google it. If an answer comes up - trash it. Find another that can't be easily Googled, post it and then tweak the opposing side. Something like - "Try and figure this out, you grit eaters", gets the opposition's ire up and usually makes for the start of a very good round. Give three hints, post the score at the beginning and end of every round and avoid these three topics - Powell (Betty), The Surratts (Laurie), Lincoln (Roger) and anything else (Richter).

Viel Glück euch meine lieben!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-08-2013 09:31 PM

That I didn't understand except that you told Eva to irritate us Rebs and avoid topics we're good in. Bill, are you in this war? Translate and tell me if there's something in his German translation that we should know about. He's bringing in extra ammunition now against us.

Herr Beckert,

With no help from Eva, translate the Second Inaugural Address into German. Make that no help from Richter either.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-08-2013 09:41 PM

(06-08-2013 09:31 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Herr Beckert,

With no help from Eva, translate the Second Inaugural Address into German. Make that no help from Richter either.

I don't mean to come off like a schweinhundt, but I have to be at work tomorrow at 0600. I'll work on the German homework assignment later. I promise to turn it in soon, Frau Rizinusöl.

Let's see - irritate the Rebs and avoid topics they're good in. Sounds like Eva has a good coach! I hope she gets started soon!

Gott wird uns Deutschen zu rechtfertigen!!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 06-08-2013 09:51 PM

I truly am impressed, Joseph! At least until I find out you have called my rebel friends and me dirty names... Did your ancestors fight with the Iron Brigade? Help, Bill - that was a German unit, wasn't it?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-09-2013 12:59 AM

First of all I have to recover from laughing...(Especially from "Here's how I do it"...) Laurie, it's just an assumption, but you should double-check the 2nd Inaug. homework on one of these funny translation programs...

Heureka. I have a very hard one, hard enough to refrain from any further tweaking. I think it even avoids the 4th ("anything else") topic. I really don't know where to post it, it seems a bit unfair to put it here...(Herr Beckert, please, help me with the score!). Ready to rumble? Try this:

In 1908, in a wild and remote area, a tribal chief hosted a famous visitor and asked him to tell stories about
"the greatest general and the greatest ruler of the world....He was a hero. He spoke with a voice of thunder; he laughed like the sunrise and his deeds were strong as the rock... His name was Lincoln."

Who was the visitor? (NOT the tribal chief!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 06-09-2013 04:49 AM

Leo Tolstoy?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Bill Richter - 06-09-2013 06:26 AM

Theodore Roosevelt

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 06-09-2013 06:31 AM

Kudos, Roger, very smart! It was Tolstoy, it happened in the North Caucasus. After the experience with the "Livingstone"- question I thought this was a good one, too...For this misjudgement it scores double.

(Joe, where in your instruction is the passage "Dealing with devastating defeats" ?)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 06-09-2013 07:17 AM

Born in Kentucky in 1809, he had blood-ties to the Boone family. His family moved westward. He lost a parent when young. He lived into the 1860's and died in his 50's. He has been the subject of many novels, films, television shows, and sculptures. He is not Abraham Lincoln. Who is he?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 06-09-2013 08:15 AM

I'll guess Kit Carson, Bill. Being you didn't clearly identify which side you're shooting for, if I'm right, we'll take this as a German victory.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 06-09-2013 08:19 AM

LOL, yes it is Kit Carson! German victory. Smile

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 06-09-2013 08:30 AM

I believe Kit Carson died in Fort Lyons, CO in 1868. My brother's best friend in high school was a direct descendent of his. He would probably turn over in his grave, if he knew that he were a "deutscher Sieg"(German victory). lol