Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-18-2013 01:22 PM

Hint #2: The man was born in Leasburg, North Carolina.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-18-2013 01:42 PM

(05-18-2013 09:00 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Joe. In all honesty, I do not know. The person I had in mind is not Stephens, but I don't know if (or if not) Stephens was also boarding there. It's possible there are multiple answers to this question.

The added clue helped--Jacob Thomson--although I can find no source for his being at Spriggs Boarding House when Lincoln was in Congress--perhaps he lived there when he was in the Buchanan administration.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-18-2013 03:16 PM

Indeed it is Jacob Thompson. Do you have Paul Findley's A. Lincoln: The Crucible of Congress? If so, please see p. 90 where it has a photo of Thompson and the caption, "Jacob Thompson, who boarded with Congressman Lincoln at Mrs. Sprigg's, was charged eighteen years later with complicity in President Lincoln's assassination." I am just assuming Paul Findley has this correct.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-18-2013 06:42 PM

(05-18-2013 03:16 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Indeed it is Jacob Thompson. Do you have Paul Findley's A. Lincoln: The Crucible of Congress? If so, please see p. 90 where it has a photo of Thompson and the caption, "Jacob Thompson, who boarded with Congressman Lincoln at Mrs. Sprigg's, was charged eighteen years later with complicity in President Lincoln's assassination." I am just assuming Paul Findley has this correct.

I would love to know Findley's source since I have only been able to find the names I sent to you. Indeed, Thompson served in the House from 1839-1851. He was in the House with AL, and could have boarded at Mrs. Spriggs. If true, it would be another one of the ironies of history that is fascinating.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-19-2013 07:01 AM

Joe, what was the source of your list then?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-19-2013 09:09 AM

I wonder if Paul Findley was confused. In Carl Sandburg's The Prairie Years (p. 356 of volume I) it says, "At the mess table in Mrs. Spriggs's boarding-house, where Lincoln took his meals, he ate with four Pennsylvania congressmen, Patrick Thompson of Mississippi, Elisha Embree of Indiana, Joshua Giddings, and others." (here)

So I am wondering if Findley confused Patrick Thompson with Jacob Thompson?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-19-2013 10:38 AM

Or with Patrick W. Thompkins? I checked the footnotes of M. Burlingame's "A.L.-A life" online edition, where he allegedly lists all fellow borders, but neither Patrick nor Jacob Thompson is mentioned. Burlingame refers to the "Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society 14" (1921), 85-86 as source.

Patrick W. Thompkins was from Mississippi!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-19-2013 03:51 PM

Elisabeth and Roger,

You already have my citations! Sandburg, Burlingame (vol. 1, pp. 259-260) and, Elisabeth, you also had my original one from the Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society! I believe that Findley picked the wrong Thompkins.

Good sleuthing by all of us! Now, check out some related Spriggs trivia I will now post.

Joe

Before lodging at Mrs. Spriggs boarding house, where did the Lincolns live for a few days upon arriving in Washington City?

Also, since Mrs. Spriggs's establishment is no longer extant, what building now occupies the site? (I think this may have appeared before.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-19-2013 04:31 PM

Joe, I think it was (1) Brown's Indian Queen Hotel and (2) the Library of Congress.

More Mrs. Sprigg's trivia - before the Lincolns boarded there, a previous boarder wrote the following about her boardinghouse:

"I will now tell you how I am situated. Mrs. Spriggs is directly in front of the Capitol and about as far from it as from our home to Mrs. Holmes' or Mr. Spear's. The iron railing around the Capitol Park comes within fifty feet of our door. Our dining room overlooks the whole Capitol Park which is one mile around and filled with shade trees and shrubbery. I have a pleasant room on the second floor with a good bed, plenty of covering, a bureau, table, chairs, closets and clothes press, a good fire place, and plenty of dry wood to burn in it."

We have always upon the table Graham bread and corn bread. A pitcher of milk is always set by my plate and a deep soup plate for a bowl so that I can always have bread and milk, and with that alone I can always have a good diet, good enough. The milk by the way is very good. Mush we have always once and generally twice a day; apples always once a day; at dinner potatoes, turnips, parsnips, spinnage [sic] with eggs, almonds, raisins, figs and bread; the puddings, pies, cakes, etc., etc., I have of course nothing to do with. My anti-meat, butter, tea and coffee, etc. ism excites of course some attention but no sneers.

Who wrote this?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-19-2013 05:04 PM

Two previous boarders were Edward D. Baker and John T. Stuart. I'd guess Steward since he was much closer to Lincoln.

(Joe, please call me Eva!)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-19-2013 05:10 PM

Good try, Eva, but it was neither of those men.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-19-2013 05:39 PM

(05-19-2013 05:04 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Two previous boarders were Edward D. Baker and John T. Stuart. I'd guess Steward since he was much closer to Lincoln.

(Joe, please call me Eva!)

Eva,

I apologize for the name gaffe--I certainly should do better since my mother's name was also Eva.

Joe

(05-19-2013 04:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Joe, I think it was (1) Brown's Indian Queen Hotel and (2) the Library of Congress.

More Mrs. Sprigg's trivia - before the Lincolns boarded there, a previous boarder wrote the following about her boardinghouse:

"I will now tell you how I am situated. Mrs. Spriggs is directly in front of the Capitol and about as far from it as from our home to Mrs. Holmes' or Mr. Spear's. The iron railing around the Capitol Park comes within fifty feet of our door. Our dining room overlooks the whole Capitol Park which is one mile around and filled with shade trees and shrubbery. I have a pleasant room on the second floor with a good bed, plenty of covering, a bureau, table, chairs, closets and clothes press, a good fire place, and plenty of dry wood to burn in it."

We have always upon the table Graham bread and corn bread. A pitcher of milk is always set by my plate and a deep soup plate for a bowl so that I can always have bread and milk, and with that alone I can always have a good diet, good enough. The milk by the way is very good. Mush we have always once and generally twice a day; apples always once a day; at dinner potatoes, turnips, parsnips, spinnage [sic] with eggs, almonds, raisins, figs and bread; the puddings, pies, cakes, etc., etc., I have of course nothing to do with. My anti-meat, butter, tea and coffee, etc. ism excites of course some attention but no sneers.

Who wrote this?

Roger,

You are right on both counts. I would have awarded you an all-expenses-paid weekend at Brown's, but it, too, is no more.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-19-2013 05:42 PM

I have no other name in mind to guess, but re-reading the quote I would bet the writer was female (no meat etc. Could be a hint for so. else if correct.)

Joe, no need to apologize! (It's not really wrong anyway, just my middle name.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-19-2013 06:01 PM

Hint #1: He referred to Mrs. Sprigg's place as the "Abolition House."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 05-19-2013 06:41 PM

Since he was mentioned in the previous list of boarders, I'll take a wild stab at Dr. Busey -- solely because of dietary beliefs.