Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-15-2013 02:12 PM

I thought she was a mulatto.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-15-2013 02:57 PM

Wikipedia has another picture and more information here.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-15-2013 05:03 PM

Who said: "...the very first invention was a joint operation, Eve having shared with Adam the getting up of the apron. And, indeed, judging from the fact that sewing has come down to our times as "woman's work? it is very probable she took the leading part; he, perhaps doing no more than to stand by and thread the needle."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-16-2013 01:29 AM

Didn't Lincoln himself say this? Maybe when he held the lectures on technology and inventions?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-16-2013 04:45 AM

Bill, I second Eva's reply. I think Lincoln himself said this.

I think my favorite quote from his lectures on discoveries and inventions is:

"Beavers build houses; but they build them in nowise differently, or better now, than they did, five thousand years ago. Ants, and honey-bees, provide food for winter; but just in the same way they did, when Solomon referred the sluggard to them as patterns of prudence. Man is not the only animal who labors; but he is the only one who improves his workmanship."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 05-16-2013 06:29 AM

Eva and Roger, you are both correct. I thought I'd be a little tricky and throw in a Lincoln quote-but you guys were too smart. Smile

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-16-2013 04:31 PM

Who wrote this description of Abraham Lincoln?

"There is no describing his lengthy awkwardness, nor the uncouthness of his movement; and yet it seemed as if I had been in the habit of seeing him daily, and had shaken hands with him a thousand times in some village street; so true was he to the aspect of the pattern American, though with a certain extravagance which, possibly, I exaggerated still further by the delighted eagerness with which I took it in.

If put to guess his calling and livelihood, I should have taken him for a country schoolmaster as soon as anything else. He was dressed in a rusty black frock-coat and pantaloons, unbrushed, and worn so faithfully that the suit had adapted itself to the curves and angularities of his figure, and had grown tobe an outer skin of the man. He had shabby slippers on his feet.

His hair was black, still unmixed with gray, stiff, somewhat bushy, and had apparently been acquainted with neither brush nor comb that morning, after the disarrangement of the pillow; and as to a night-cap, Uncle Abe probably knows nothing of such effeminacies.

His complexion is dark and sallow, betokening, I fear, an insalubrious atmosphere around the White House; he has thick black eyebrows and an impending brow; his nose is large, and the lines about his mouth are very strongly defined."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-16-2013 05:10 PM

(05-16-2013 04:31 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Who wrote this description of Abraham Lincoln?

"There is no describing his lengthy awkwardness, nor the uncouthness of his movement; and yet it seemed as if I had been in the habit of seeing him daily, and had shaken hands with him a thousand times in some village street; so true was he to the aspect of the pattern American, though with a certain extravagance which, possibly, I exaggerated still further by the delighted eagerness with which I took it in.

If put to guess his calling and livelihood, I should have taken him for a country schoolmaster as soon as anything else. He was dressed in a rusty black frock-coat and pantaloons, unbrushed, and worn so faithfully that the suit had adapted itself to the curves and angularities of his figure, and had grown tobe an outer skin of the man. He had shabby slippers on his feet.

His hair was black, still unmixed with gray, stiff, somewhat bushy, and had apparently been acquainted with neither brush nor comb that morning, after the disarrangement of the pillow; and as to a night-cap, Uncle Abe probably knows nothing of such effeminacies.

His complexion is dark and sallow, betokening, I fear, an insalubrious atmosphere around the White House; he has thick black eyebrows and an impending brow; his nose is large, and the lines about his mouth are very strongly defined."

Nathaniel Hawthorne

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-16-2013 06:04 PM

Kudos, Joe! Very good. Indeed Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote that description after meeting Lincoln in 1862.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-18-2013 06:00 AM

When Lincoln served his one term in Congress he boarded at Mrs. Sprigg's. One of the other people also boarding at Mrs. Sprigg's was later charged with complicity in Lincoln's assassination. Who was he?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-18-2013 08:56 AM

(05-18-2013 06:00 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  When Lincoln served his one term in Congress he boarded at Mrs. Sprigg's. One of the other people also boarding at Mrs. Sprigg's was later charged with complicity in Lincoln's assassination. Who was he?

Alexander Stephens

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-18-2013 09:00 AM

Hi Joe. In all honesty, I do not know. The person I had in mind is not Stephens, but I don't know if (or if not) Stephens was also boarding there. It's possible there are multiple answers to this question.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-18-2013 10:18 AM

(05-18-2013 09:00 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Joe. In all honesty, I do not know. The person I had in mind is not Stephens, but I don't know if (or if not) Stephens was also boarding there. It's possible there are multiple answers to this question.

Roger,

I checked and Stephens boarded down the street from Lincoln. Here are the others who boarded and ate with Lincoln: PA reps John Blanchard, John Dickey, A.R. McIlvaine, James Pollock, John Strohm; IN rep Elisha Embree; MS rep P.W. Tompkins; OH rep Joshua R. Giddings. Also at table were: Gen. Duff Green, Nathan Sargent (journalist), and Dr. S. C. Busey. Now, I don't know either who wathe person might be!

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 05-18-2013 10:23 AM

OK, Joe. Thanks for checking. The name I am looking for is not in your list.

Hint #1: My source for this is a book written by Paul Findley.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 05-18-2013 10:37 AM

(05-18-2013 09:00 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Joe. In all honesty, I do not know. The person I had in mind is not Stephens, but I don't know if (or if not) Stephens was also boarding there. It's possible there are multiple answers to this question.

Roger,

I am going to try this again. I don't think it posted.
Stephens boarded down the street from Lincoln so he was not at Mrs. Spriggs'. The others who boarded and shared mess with Lincoln are: PA Reps John Blanchard, John Dickey, A.R. McIlvaine, James Pollock, John Strohn; IN Rep Elisha Embree (d. 1863 so that leaves him out); MS Rep P.W. Tompkins; OH Rep Joshua R. Giddings. Also there were Gen. Duff Green, journalist Nathan Sargent, and Dr. C.S. Busey. So, I don't know who it might be.

Joe