Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 01-10-2013 09:29 AM

[Image: photob215558fbc10ae50b7.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Isn't something missing from this picture?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 01-10-2013 09:39 AM

Yes, Tad. (Lincoln is looking at a book of Matthew Brady's photos, not reading to Tad, as is usually stated.)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 01-10-2013 10:13 AM

Yes, that's what I thought-Tad has been removed. Interesting tid-bit about the book. Was the picture taken at Brady's studio, I presume?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 01-10-2013 01:52 PM

Yes. I believe it was Feb. 9th., 1864. That's my favorite photo of Lincoln and Tad. It's hung on my bedroom wall for 30 years.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 01-10-2013 02:36 PM

Its actually my favorite picture of Lincoln. It was a Christmas gift. I hung it in my office-very nice! Thanks for the info.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 01-17-2013 08:45 AM

(01-10-2013 01:52 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Yes. I believe it was Feb. 9th., 1864. That's my favorite photo of Lincoln and Tad. It's hung on my bedroom wall for 30 years.

A funny thing happened yesterday. As I mentioned, I have the picture hanging in my office at work. A patient was sitting in a chair against the wall with the picture situated above him. It appears that Lincoln is sort of looking downward towards whoever might be siiting in the chair below it. Anyway, he starts off his conversation by saying: "Well, to be honest," then I quickly interrupted him and said, "You better be honest-honest Abe is looking down at you."
He turned his head up and looked at the picture (which apparently he hadn't noticed) and said, "I certainly will!"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-18-2013 06:20 AM

Neat story, Bill. Thanks for sharing it.

In his youth, someone once warned Abraham Lincoln to stop bothering the girls. Abe was told by this person that he should be ashamed of himself.

Who was this person?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - BettyO - 01-18-2013 09:38 AM

Herndon?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-18-2013 09:48 AM

No, although you are on the right track in a way. Much later in life Herndon said something about Lincoln having trouble keeping his hands off the women (before he married Mary).

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 01-18-2013 01:44 PM

(01-18-2013 09:48 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  No, although you are on the right track in a way. Much later in life Herndon said something about Lincoln having trouble keeping his hands off the women (before he married Mary).

Roger,

I believe it was his own sister, Sarah.

Joe

(01-18-2013 06:20 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Neat story, Bill. Thanks for sharing it.

In his youth, someone once warned Abraham Lincoln to stop bothering the girls. Abe was told by this person that he should be ashamed of himself.

Who was this person?

Roger,

I believe it was his own sister, Sarah.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-18-2013 02:05 PM

Yes, Joe. Well done, sir!

Indeed the person who warned young Abe was his older sister, Sarah.

The source of the information was Elizabeth Crawford who had hired Sarah Lincoln to work in her home in 1825. She told the story to William Herndon.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 01-18-2013 08:43 PM

Wow, good one Joe. I was just reading Roger's question and was going to give that answer.

With Malice Towards None by Stephen Oates mentions it:

"Sister Sarah, two years older than Abraham, was a plump girl with dark hair and gray eyes, a grown-up child of nine who admonished her brother to behave himself."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-20-2013 06:08 AM

In 1864 Abraham Lincoln was presented with a Bible.

"To Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, the Friend of Universal Freedom, from the Loyal Colored People of Baltimore, as a token of respect and Gratitude. Baltimore, 4th July 1864."

Where does this Bible reside now?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 01-20-2013 09:59 AM

The Library of Congress?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 01-20-2013 10:03 AM

Excellent guess, Joe. But that's not it.

Hint #1: It was a gift from Robert Lincoln to this institution.