Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Joe Di Cola - 12-04-2012 09:09 PM

(12-04-2012 07:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  OMG, really ugly - but I do like the table it's sitting on. The chair looks dangerous to me. A friend's family once owned a beautiful ca. 1780 home in Clinton. The father envisioned himself another Lyndon Johnson in his love of all things Texan - even though he lived all of his life in Maryland.

The house is unique in that one wing of it was a Catholic chapel with an adjoining bedroom for visiting priests in the early days of our country. The bedroom had a predo (I think that's what you call the kneeling desk used by priests?) at the foot of the bed, but in a far corner was a horn chair that was almost as ugly as this Kinman one. Even assuming that a priest gets special protection from above, it would not have been me that wanted to sleep in that room with that chair.

Laurie,

You are right--Pre Dieu is correct--it is any kneeler with a ledge to rest ones arm and or a prayer book.

Joe

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-05-2012 06:14 AM

Where was Abraham Lincoln when he wondered, "Where in the world does all that water come from?"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 12-05-2012 08:05 AM

Niagra Falls! (I can hear the Three Stooges saying: "Slowly I turn, step by step...").

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-05-2012 08:12 AM

Good morning, Bill, and you are correct! Kudos.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 12-05-2012 10:27 AM

As I seem to recall, as Lincoln stood by the Falls, he was trying to determine its age-or something like that!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 07:35 AM

What is the westernmost city Abraham Lincoln ever visited during his life?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rogerm - 12-09-2012 10:24 AM

Did he once visit Lawrence, Kansas?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 12-09-2012 10:58 AM

I would agree with Rogerm's guess that it was Kansas. I don't know what city. It seems to me Lincoln was addressing the slavery issue.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-09-2012 10:59 AM

Good morning Roger and Bill. Close enough. The book I am using says he visited five cities in Kansas...Atchison, Doniphan, Elwood, Leavenworth, and Troy. Looking at a map, it looks like Atchison is the westernmost. The book does not list Lincoln as going to Lawrence, Kansas, but if the book is wrong, then I stand corrected on that.

You both win free visits to the two parcels of land Lincoln owned in Iowa.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-12-2012 03:50 PM

There is only one known photo with both Tad and Robert Lincoln in it. Where was it taken?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Mark MacKenzie - 12-12-2012 04:34 PM

Is it in front of the Springfield house with Tad on the fence?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-12-2012 04:48 PM

Wow, Mark, I had not thought of that photo when I wrote the question. If it's the one I think you mean, I know Willie and Tad are identified as being there, but is Robert pictured, too? I thought just Willie and Tad...but offhand, I am not sure. Maybe someone will know definitely if Robert is there, too.

Anyway, the photo I am thinking of is a more recent discovery. And Mary Lincoln is usually identified as being in the photo, too.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Mark MacKenzie - 12-12-2012 05:10 PM

I was wrong. It is Willie. There is another child in the photo but of Isaac Diller, a neighborhood playmate.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 12-12-2012 05:42 PM

Outdoors by a waterfall or some natural site. Mary's in it too, I believe.

I've seen the photo, but I couldn't remember the particulars, so I cheated. They are at "The Flume" in Fraconia Notch, N.H. (I 'll forfeit my prize)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-12-2012 05:54 PM

You win, Joe. Kudos.

Photo is here.

I hesitated a little on Mary as the Lincoln Family Album says, "Mrs. Lincoln is probably standing somewhere in the group, and Tad can be seen squeezing into the crowd at the center. Robert stands far off to the left." My aging eyes see a woman I think is Mary in the center next to Tad. The photo is from "The Flume" at Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, in the summer of 1863 (several weeks after Mary's carriage accident).

You win one free meal at Mrs. Scott's boardinghouse.