Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-02-2012 04:25 PM

Nope, but you are correct that it's at the Fort McNair Officers Club.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-02-2012 04:45 PM

Mark Neely??

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-02-2012 05:25 PM

You got it, Laurie. Kudos.

Betty is a winner, too, for identifying Ed Steers.

You both win free early bird senior (55+) specials at Gautier's Restaurant.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 12-02-2012 07:00 PM

We need to put together a group early bird (55+) visit to Gautier's! I'll get the Wayback Machine ready!!!

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 12-02-2012 07:19 PM

Jim, there may be another way.

Go here.

Scroll down about 15 shows to "The Man Who Tried to Save Lincoln Mysterious Traveler.mp3"

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 12-02-2012 07:27 PM

(12-02-2012 07:19 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jim, there may be another way.

Go here.

Scroll down about 15 shows to "The Man Who Tried to Save Lincoln Mysterious Traveler.mp3"

Roger, are you an old-time radio fan?!?!? When I worked at Nasdaq, the only way I endured the one-hour commute was by listening to old radio shows!!! I love them!

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-02-2012 07:52 PM

We're going to need the Wayback Machine to get to Gautier's today. It once stood at 252 Pennsylvania Avenue; but they've changed the street addresses, and I'm not sure what stands there now.

Brady's Studio was at 352 Pennsylvania Avenue at that time, but I think the numbers got lower as you went uptown. Brady's building still stands and it's in the 600 block, I think, under the new numbering system.

Gautier's may have been where the huge FBI headquarters are now?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 12-02-2012 08:32 PM

When I was forced to start my own graphics company in the 1990s, I tried talking my then-partners into leasing that building (625-627 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.) where Brady's studio had been in DC.

They couldn't see it and we ended up in Temple Hills on Branch Avenue.

--Jim

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 12-04-2012 03:18 PM

What was the most famous Christmas present that Mr. Lincoln ever received?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 12-04-2012 03:25 PM

Savannah?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - J. Beckert - 12-04-2012 03:57 PM

The elk horn chair from Seth ______.? Kinman, I think.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 12-04-2012 05:19 PM

Rob: I agree-Savannah!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Laurie Verge - 12-04-2012 05:36 PM

Rob and Bill get to split the prize (if we every figure out what it is). I've never seen a photo of the elk horn chair. Is it as ugly as other horn chairs I've seen?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - LincolnMan - 12-04-2012 05:42 PM

Here it is: http://abesblogcabin.org/reminded-of-abraham-lincolns-elk-horn-chair

RE: Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 12-04-2012 07:53 PM

OMG, really ugly - but I do like the table it's sitting on. The chair looks dangerous to me. A friend's family once owned a beautiful ca. 1780 home in Clinton. The father envisioned himself another Lyndon Johnson in his love of all things Texan - even though he lived all of his life in Maryland.

The house is unique in that one wing of it was a Catholic chapel with an adjoining bedroom for visiting priests in the early days of our country. The bedroom had a predo (I think that's what you call the kneeling desk used by priests?) at the foot of the bed, but in a far corner was a horn chair that was almost as ugly as this Kinman one. Even assuming that a priest gets special protection from above, it would not have been me that wanted to sleep in that room with that chair.