Lincoln Discussion Symposium
Extra Credit Questions - Printable Version

+- Lincoln Discussion Symposium (https://rogerjnorton.com/LincolnDiscussionSymposium)
+-- Forum: Lincoln Discussion Symposium (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Trivia Questions - all things Lincoln (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Extra Credit Questions (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 02-20-2024 07:52 PM

I was thinking lecture tour, recall something, and tempted to google. I thought he wanted to do several lectures but it was cut short.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Anita - 02-20-2024 08:35 PM

Yes Michael, you are close enough!

Lecture on Discoveries and Inventions
On April 6, 1858, Abraham Lincoln gave his first lecture on "Discoveries and Inventions" before the Young Men's Association of Bloomington, Illinois. In 1859 he delivered it in Jacksonville, Illinois. He repeated the lecture in Decatur, Springfield, and Pontiac, but turned down future requests, saying, "I am not a professional lecturer. Have never got up but one lecture; and that I think, a rather poor one."
You can read the lecture here http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/discoveries.htm

While Lincoln's lecture tour wasn't a success, this is the section that of the talk where he predicts the future of wind power. Lincoln would have loved today's windfarm technology.

"Of all the forces of nature, I should think the wind contains the largest amount of motive power -- that is, power to move things. Take any given space of the earth's surface -- for instance, Illinois --; and all the power exerted by all the men, and beasts, and running-water, and steam, over and upon it, shall not equal the one hundredth part of what is exerted by the blowing of the wind over and upon the same space. And yet it has not, so far in the world's history, become proportionably valuable as a motive power. It is applied extensively, and advantageously, to sail-vessels in navigation. Add to this a few wind-mills, and pumps, and you have about all. That, as yet, no very successful mode of controlling, and directing the wind, has been discovered; and that, naturally, it moves by fits and starts -- now so gently as to scarcely stir a leaf, and now so roughly as to level a forest -- doubtless have been the insurmountable difficulties. As yet, the wind is an untamed, and unharnessed force; and quite possibly one of the greatest discoveries hereafter to be made, will be the taming, and harnessing of the wind. That the difficulties of controlling this power are very great is quite evident by the fact that they have already been perceived, and struggled with more than three thousand years; for that power was applied to sail-vessels, at least as early as the time of the prophet Isaiah."

RE: Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 02-21-2024 12:52 PM

"As yet, the wind is an untamed, and unharnessed force; and quite possibly one of the greatest discoveries hereafter to be made, will be the taming, and harnessing of the wind."

Good prediction by Mr. Lincoln.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-26-2024 05:11 AM

What is this?

[Image: whatintheworldcouldthisbe.jpg]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Steve - 02-26-2024 06:51 AM

Is it the preserved piece of Booth's thorax?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 02-26-2024 08:02 AM

I'll stick my neck out and guess it's tissue from Booth's vertebrae
(sorry abou that)

I'll add a little more detail to Steve's answer.
"Thank you to the late Director of the Mütter Museum, Gretchen Worden, for clarifying the nature of the piece of John Wilkes Booth held by the museum. She indicated in a letter to me what was originally thought to be part of Booth's thorax is more likely to be tissue that was possibly cleaned off the cervical vertebrae. Her article entitled "Is It the Body of John Wilkes Booth?" in the December 1994 edition of Transactions & Studies of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia is an outstanding source of information regarding the topic of this web page."

From Roger's very own excellent web site site about John Wilkes Boot's Autopsy
https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln83.html

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 02-26-2024 09:06 AM

Wow, can't stump you folks! Kudos!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-03-2024 10:25 AM

Please try to get this one without googling, looking in books, etc.

Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's stepmother, spent time in a jail.

Why?

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 03-03-2024 02:35 PM

Wasn't it for debt?

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Gene C - 03-03-2024 02:47 PM

(03-03-2024 10:25 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Please try to get this one without googling, looking in books, etc.

Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's stepmother, spent time in a jail.

Why?

Wasn't here first husband the jailer , and didn't she help prepare the meals for the prisoners

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-03-2024 04:49 PM

Very logical reply, Rob, but Gene got it. Sarah's first husband, Daniel Johnston, was appointed jailer in Hardin County, Kentucky. Living quarters for the jailer and his family were provided in one corner of the stone jail. Sarah cooked for the inmates and kept the jail clean.

RE: Extra Credit Questions - Rob Wick - 03-03-2024 04:57 PM

No fair being sneaky, Roger.DodgyBig Grin

Best
Rob

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-03-2024 06:23 PM

(03-03-2024 04:57 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  sneaky

Agreed!

RE: Extra Credit Questions - AussieMick - 03-07-2024 03:06 AM

There's a connection here to Lincoln ... What is it ? (actually there's 2 but I'll take either ) . Double Left click to enlarge. Google your life away.

[attachment=3430]

RE: Extra Credit Questions - RJNorton - 03-07-2024 05:52 AM

Wild guess - is it Marilyn Monroe?